Notifications
Clear all

Assigning a Track to MIDI Channel

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I uploaded a MIDI file into the MODX and one of the tracks is a click for a drummer to play live along with the sequence. Since the MODX doesn't have assignable outputs, how can I assign that track to a MIDI Channel ? so I can use an external device in order for the drummer to play with the click

Posted : 22/05/2020 12:34 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

When you press [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) - you see the Performance name at the top of the screen - then rectangles under for (if you're in the default mode) the first 8 PARTs. One of those PARTs should be the click track. If your instrument is in Multi-Channel MIDI mode, then the MIDI channel of the "click channel" will be the same as the PART number.

Again, multi-channel mode: PART number one is MIDI channel 1. PART number 5 is MIDI channel 5. And so on.

You are correct that there is not an assignable audio output. However, all of the PARTs have assignable MIDI outputs when you use Zone control. So you can override the default MIDI channel assignment as I've described it using Zone Master and PART Zone settings.

Posted : 22/05/2020 12:46 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

When you press [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) - you see the Performance name at the top of the screen - then rectangles under for (if you're in the default mode) the first 8 PARTs. One of those PARTs should be the click track. If your instrument is in Multi-Channel MIDI mode, then the MIDI channel of the "click channel" will be the same as the PART number.

Again, multi-channel mode: PART number one is MIDI channel 1. PART number 5 is MIDI channel 5. And so on.

You are correct that there is not an assignable audio output. However, all of the PARTs have assignable MIDI outputs when you use Zone control. So you can override the default MIDI channel assignment as I've described it using Zone Master and PART Zone settings.

I supposed you mean by PART = TRACK, if that is the case my click track is number 13 because that is how I originally had the sequence on the Motif XF.

Posted : 22/05/2020 2:47 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I meant PART - the [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) screen summarizes PARTs. With MODX You can see PARTs 9-16 if you press [PART SELECT-MUTE/SOLO] from the home screen then touch "9-16" in the "Parts Select' region on the bottom of the touchscreen.

Tracks are concepts of MIDI "songs" (.mid files). Therefore, the new pattern sequencer relates to tracks as this is a way of manipulating song structures. The pattern sequencer still shows PARTs 1-16 on the overview screen.

If you're referring to song data (.mid files, pattern sequencer, arpeggio data which is .mid in construction) - then using "track" is fine.

Assuming your song data doesn't have embedded PC changes that would alter the PART's default setting - you can change the PART 13 to a different "sound" (waveform, or replace with a different [CATEGORY SEARCH] single-PART) and see your click changes sounds.

I have to admit I haven't played enough with pattern sequencing - if that's what you're doing - to have experience with how MIDI spills out when you play sequences back. If MIDI is transmitted during sequence playback - then the default would be MIDI channel 13 for PART 13.

Posted : 22/05/2020 6:11 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Okay, but do you know how do I get to setup the MIDI parameter on track 13 to MIDI Channel 1 ?

Posted : 24/05/2020 1:38 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If your data is loaded into the pattern sequencer, then you can use the track exchange to swap tracks 13 and track 1.

Or you could use enable Zone master and edit PART 13's PART zone control to set the MIDI output channel to Ch 1.

Posted : 24/05/2020 2:33 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us