Notifications
Clear all

Problem with Scenes/Sequence

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I am working on a Sequence/Song that I uploaded from a MIDI File. Tracks 9-16 have the sequence parts (drums and other stuff) and on tracks 1-8 I'm assigning the sounds that I want to play manually/live on top of the sequence. I want to split those first eight track 1-8 in three scenes so I can change sounds manually while the sequence plays on. The problem is that when I switch scenes that songs starts from the beginning and that is not what I want. How can I fix this ?

Posted : 22/05/2020 3:57 am
Bad Mister

I am working on a Sequence/Song that I uploaded from a MIDI File. Tracks 9-16 have the sequence parts (drums and other stuff) and on tracks 1-8 I'm assigning the sounds that I want to play manually/live on top of the sequence. I want to split those first eight track 1-8 in three scenes so I can change sounds manually while the sequence plays on. The problem is that when I switch scenes that songs starts from the beginning and that is not what I want. How can I fix this ?

If you have loaded your .mid file to a MODX SONG, you will want to reconstruct the composition in the Pattern Sequencer.

Concept: The Song sequencer is one long linear structure.
— Determine the length of each musical section you need to create.
You can call up a blank Pattern
Using the “Get Phrase” Edit/Job of the Pattern Sequencer, you will divide the linear structure into three Pattern Scenes. You will set the Start and End Measures and reconstruct your composition into three separate Pattern Scenes.

Example: say your linear Song is 48 Measures in Length... and you want to divide it into three 16 measure musical sections.
You will go to an empty Pattern — you can do so by touching “Pattern” from your Song (using the same Performance)
Go to “Edit/Job” > Touch “Song” > “Get Phrase”
See page 22 of the latest Supplementary Manual (for 2.00) for details and screenshot of the setup.

The Source (top) will be your Song, set the Track, Set the Start and End Measure to block out the first Scene.
Say you want to divide the first Scene as a 16 measure block, 001-017 (top of measure 001 through to the top of measure 017 = sixteen complete measures)
The Destination (bottom) will be the Pattern “(no data)“ will be where you are reconstructing the data.

The target Pattern will initially read “(no data)” signifying that this target is indeed empty. This is your warning, if it is called anything but literally “(no data)” then you know you are about to overwrite previous data. The act of “Getting a Phrase” will overwrite the target destination.

Move your Song Tracks into the Pattern Scene 1 recreating the first 16 measures of the composition.
Move your Song, Track 9 —> Track 9, Scene 1
Move your Song, Track 10 —> Track 10, Scene 1
Move your Song, Track 11 —> Track 11, Scene 1
And so on.

When you have transferred the Track data from measures 001-017 to Scene 1, targeting the appropriate Track in the Pattern, proceed to reconstructing Pattern Scene 2, using “Get Phrase“, this time ‘getting’ measures 017-033. (again, top of measure 17 to the top of measure 33 is sixteen complete measures).

Rinse and repeat for Scene 3, 033-049 defining your third Scene’s 16 measure Range, or as you require.

Now you have converted the linear 48 measure MIDI Song into three Pattern Scenes, each of a shorter Length.
Press [EXIT] to return to the Pattern Sequencer screen.
You can review your three Scenes, each will be 16 measures in Length (or whatever number of measures you setup in the “Get Phrase” dialog box.

Now you can use the Scene Memory function to memorize the KBD CTRL active/inactive status for each of your three Scene.
Touch “Scene” in the first column, Activate the KBD CTRL Memory Switch (ON) in each Scene, and touch “KBD CTRL” in Scene 1, 2 and 3 activate the Parts you want to sound in each of your three Scenes. Selecting a Scene will seamlessly transition between your Parts. Changes you make to the Scene Memory screen are automatically apart of the current Scene.

You can create a Pattern Chain to automate the playback of your Scenes, thus automating what instrument sounds are selected for real-time play.
Hope that helps.

Extra Credit:
The following from the “Mastering MONTAGE/MODX: Pattern Sequencer Features Articles......

Accessing the Pattern Sequencer: Navigation
To access the feature from the [PERFORMANCE (HOME)] screen you can either touch “Play/Rec” in the screen or you can press the front panel [•] Record button.

__ Use the touch screen “Play/Rec” approach when you want to return to the current Sequencer data associated with this Performance, if any.
__ Use the hardware [•] Record button approach when you want to initiate a new recording for the current Performance.

Alternatively, you could just hit the [>] Play button – this will also take you to the Play/Rec Function and select the last accessed item.

By entering the Pattern Sequencer the one way, (hitting Record), you advance to a new Sequence.
If you enter by tapping “Play/Rec”, or simply pressing the Play button, you return to the one associated with *this* Performance. The one you’ve been working on.

Once you know this... the mystery becomes a feature - and one you wind up using, intelligently. You will know, you only want to enter the Sequencer via hitting the RECORD button when you actually want to move to a new, completely *empty* Sequence!!!

Extra Credit 2:
If you start with [CATEGORY] > “Init” > and then select “MULTI/GM” it works better for Track-by-Track Recording, and it would be wise to use the KBD CTRL LOCK = On, so that when you select additional instruments they don’t all sound together, just the one that you’re adding will sound.

From the article introducing “Pattern Sequencer Workflow“....

...First, let’s prevent the automatic KBD CTRL from coming ON for each replaced PART. We are not going to be playing them together – we actually want to be able to play them one-at-a-time. The KBD CONTROL LOCK is useful when you are working in 16-Part Multi-timbral mode… It fixes the KBD CTRL at PART 1, allowing you to *select* and communicate with just one PART at a time. You can now select any PART 1-16, directly, and you will be immediately in communication with just the intended Part.

Touch “FX” found at the very top line of the screen; This takes the shortcut to the EFFECT SWITCH/BYPASS screen.
Set “KBD CTRL LOCK = ON”:

The two items above are very important skills to know — you will stumble through how to work the Sequencer if you are not proficient in constructing the instruments into a Performance when sequencing. And knowing what make a Part Record-ready. It is NOT necessarily the KBD CTRL icon. But rather what you hear when you touch the keys. “What you hear, is what you get”
Each Part has us own dedicated Track - if you can hear a Part, you can Record that Part.

*Selecting* a Part is ‘like’ arming a Sequencer Track.
You can *select* a Part without it being a KBD CTRL active Part.

Posted : 22/05/2020 6:39 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Ok, it worked but it DIDN'T worked the way I need it for it to work.

I copied the tracks that have sequence data from Song 004 to Pattern 6 (that had no data) into five scenes. Scene One 001-044, Scene Two 045-050, Scene Three 051-057, Scene Four 058-065, Scene Five 066-070 then after that I did the keyboard control thing to arrange sounds that I want them in order to play them live, then I went to Edit / Chain to attach the scenes into one song and converted to song again so my song/sequence plays continuously and automatically from beginning to end. The PROBLEM is that while playing the song when it's time to change scenes manually in order to play different sounds live, the song stars all over from the beginning. and that is not what I want. The question is how do I prevent the song from starting all over from the beginning when changing sounds while pressing the scene buttons ?

Posted : 23/05/2020 11:19 pm
Bad Mister

If you want to change Scenes manually, then don’t create a Pattern Chain.

If you set your Scene Memory Switches properly you can automatically change sounds when the Chain plays back.
What instrument (Parts) do you want to play from start through measure 45?
What instrument (Parts) do you change to at measure 45?
What instrument (Parts) do you change to at measure 51?
What instrument (Parts) do you change to at measure 58?
What instrument (Parts) do you change to at measure 66?

Go to “Scene”
Set the KBD CTRL Memory Switch On for Scenes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
In turn activate only the KBD CTRL Switches necessary for each Scene.
If you do that, the Chain will automatically change active Parts 1-8 as you need them (at the appropriate measure).

Posted : 24/05/2020 1:03 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

If you want to change Scenes manually, then don’t create a Pattern Chain.

Just to clarity, I don't want to change scenes manually or let's say I don't want to change sequence manually, just the sounds that I am playing live. For example on scene one I have a rhode piano and an accordion, on scene two I have a pad and another accordion, and on scene three I have some strings. I want to move between these sounds or scenes without the song starting all over from the beginning. When I had the Motif ES, XS and XF I could do this without any problem. This is basically what I need in order to play live with my band using the sequencer.

Posted : 24/05/2020 1:25 am
Bad Mister

Why is the song starting over again?
Did you not divide the song into Scenes using Get Phrase?
Done properly each Scene should play from the measure from which you divided the Song.

Scene 1 = 001-045
Scene 2 = 045-051
Scene 3 = 051-058
Scene 4 = 058-066
Scene 5 = 066-071

Posted : 24/05/2020 2:11 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Why is the song starting over again?
Did you not divide the song into Scenes using Get Phrase?
Done properly each Scene should play from the measure from which you divided the Song.

Scene 1 = 001-045
Scene 2 = 045-051
Scene 3 = 051-058
Scene 4 = 058-066
Scene 5 = 066-071

I did it exactly like that but it each scene would just play four measures and then loop, so on each scene I manually change the length to the number of mesures it's supposed to have and it would play the entire scene complete. But then when the sequence/music reaches the last measure it would still loop instead of continuing to the next scene.

Posted : 24/05/2020 2:56 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sounds like making PARTs 9-16 play a linear song (.mid file) - like using the audition button with a custom song (audition) or using the performance playback (pre-pattern sequencer feature) would handle the non-live stuff. Then you can use scene buttons in a "conventional" (non pattern related) manner just for selecting your live play sounds in PARTs 1-8.

You can use the pattern sequencer if you want to construct the MID on-board MODX - but exporting a final song file would be the extent of its use. Then load it into a more conventional "set it and forget it" playback mode. Triggered by the play button or audition button to start the MID (song) playback.

I haven't used the pattern sequencer enough to know first-hand the gotchas - but it sounds like you want to use scenes for selecting sounds (not patterns) and simultaneously want pattern chaining in order to automate the playback order of your scenes. And this has been mentioned as mutually exclusive - that you can't do that (do both).

If you could stand a very slight delay between instrument changes - you could also use an external device (iPad, laptop, fancy MIDI footpedal) to send MIDI commands to change the sound using MSB/LSB+PC and just keep the same PART(s) (in 1-8) selected while managing through "PC" changes on the same PART (midi channel). Or the same general idea and MIDI-in volume changes to "select" certain PARTs in 1-8 (or use sliders). Or if all of your PARTs are single-PART instruments in 1-8, leave keyboard control off on all except PART 1 then select the single PART you want sounding at a time (also assuming you don't want layering). None of these alternatives would involve having to press a scene button (or MIDI virtually press one). Selecting the PART would mean tapping the PART you want to sound on the touchscreen. The rest would stop sounding (and not cutoff if holding the previously selected sound=PART).

Posted : 24/05/2020 7:36 am
Bad Mister

I did it exactly like that but it each scene would just play four measures and then loop, so on each scene I manually change the length to the number of mesures it's supposed to have and it would play the entire scene complete. But then when the sequence/music reaches the last measure it would still loop instead of continuing to the next scene.

When using Get Phrase properly, it is my understanding that the “Length” is determined by the number of measures you get. The fact that your Length remains four is an indication that the “Get Phrase“ function is not working according to spec.

Go to Pattern 006 (empty) > “Edit/Job” > “Song” > “Get Phrase”
When you set Song 4 as the ‘source’ and you set the measure region “Start” = 001 and “End” = 045
And you target the current appropriate Track and first Scene (1)
The result should automatically set the Length to 44 measures...

The Pattern has no data, initially, so the act of “Getting” 44 measures from the linear Song, will set the Pattern Scene1 Length... the fact that your Scene remains the default 4 measures says to me that you have not set the “Get Phrase” dialog box properly.

Try executing the first sub-divide, and then verifying that it imported properly the single a Track properly. You are dividing a linear structure into regions - Each region represents measures later in the linear structure.
So your Scene 2 will be Length 6 measures 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
Your Scene 3 will be Length 7 measures, representing 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
Your Scene 4 will be Length 8 measures, representing 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65
Your Scene 5 will be Length 5 measures, representing 66, 67, 68, 69, 70

It cannot start from the beginning of the song each time - when divided properly. Do you see why?
Each time you target a Section, it’s Length should be set by the number of measures you define as coming from the source linear Song.
Top of measure 001 to the top of measure 045 will import 44 complete measures into the target Scene... overwriting the previous Track in that Scene.

Sounds like you didn’t use the Get Phrase but instead loaded the .mid file multiple times, one to each Scene (?)
That will not work!

Posted : 24/05/2020 1:47 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Okay Bad Mister & Jason, I will start all over from the beginning, I already deleted the file going to Store, selecting file Job/Delete. But I need to know if there is a way to delete a Performance because I see that Performance 005 still there just with the name of the song but there is no sequence.

I had initially uploaded the Midi File doing the procedure shown in this video (Spanish) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiB6NP58c6Q But at the end just plays the sounds and it seems to be based on General Midi Data. In my case the Midi File doesn't contain General Midi instruments, but customs instruments from the Motif XF.

My whole purpose is to play this song live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1fvVaCfKn8 with the whistles that play in the background sequenced just like in this other video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JAuimEquPY&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR17roINZdwXjNXXelJEoUFsudt5D79N_0v2dG9ZuOeIWYAH6dTxw5Hc-PI where I am playing live using the Motif XS even though there was Triton Le that belonged to another band in front of the Motif XS and that's why you can't see it. (should have moved it away). In this song the DRUMMER is playing on top of the sequence using headphones coming out of the XS assignable outputs and then through a Headphones Amp. We even play an intro before the song begins(I inserted measures). You can see in the video that I am changing sounds through out the song while the entire sequence plays on. Unfortunately you cannot hear the whistles but that is another story, I guess because I wasn't connected to the PA in Stereo.

Originally we recorded this song in 2005 and programed the whistles on a Korg Trinity, then it was exported as a MIDI File to the Motif ES, then to the XS, then to the XF, I did some editing in the process. It is not a matter of life or death to have the whistle sequenced but it is kind of a plus.

Posted : 26/05/2020 4:21 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us