Clear all

Automatic sustain pedal effect

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello,

I'd like to insert a short pedal effect for one part, and because it would be too tricky to use the pedal itself (for each quarter note in a 60bpm tempo), I'd like to create it using parameters but so far don't know hot to developp it. The effect should bring a brief retention (such as when pushing the pedal) and abrupt release. Setting the decays of elements is not satisfactory.

Is there a way to achieve this ?

Thanking you.

Musicalement.

Romuald

Posted : 11/05/2022 1:23 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Parameters that can be modulated by expression pedals or the foot switch can be replaced by MS Lanes (Motion Sequence Lanes). The sustain pedal cannot be replaced this way but you can place the sustain pedal in an arpeggio and set the arpeggio to "Direct" (not sort, through, etc). This will have only the sustain messages controlled by an arpeggio and the notes you play will go directly to the keys as normal.

I just recorded a user arpeggio where all I did was press and let go of the sustain pedal then saved this to a user arpeggio with the "normal" conversion type (no notes, so not sure it matters much) and then tested and it worked fine sustaining notes I was was playing sometimes according to what I recorded in the arpeggio.

In order to start the arpeggio - you need to be within the arpeggio's trigger note range and arpeggio's trigger velocity range. You can set these to anything you want.

Posted : 12/05/2022 12:07 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello,
My request is about sustain pedal.
Thank you for your reply, I will manage.

Posted : 12/05/2022 9:31 am
Antony
Estimable Member

@Romuald.... I think you need to define "Pedal Effect", and use words that commonly describe such an effect. Are we talking FX (e.g. Insert Effects, System Effects, Master Effects... Delay, Chorus, Reverb etc) or are we talking "Piano Pedal" Effects such as Sustain, Half Damping etc?

I will hazard a guess that the "FX" you are describing is a "Slicer" FX. Similar to a "Tremolo" effect, but with a sharper, Square Wave, On/Off/On/Off..... in time with the Tempo (60BPM).

Here is a YouTube example of a "Slicer" type FX (the demo use more exotic rhythms, but a simple Quarter Note pattern can also be set.

https://youtu.be/vVcAB5v2iIo

This provides the very sharp "cut off" of the note as you may be describing. The secret to "playing" a Slicer is to actually Sustain the Chord (or single Note) and let the Slicer derive the rhythm .

If this is the FX you want, you will be pleased to know there is such an FX in the Insert FX, Category "Tech", Name "Slice".

You can achieve similar results with a "PART LFO"... choose LFO Wave as either Square (Squ1/4, Squ1/3 etc) or Saw Up, Destination Level, Depth = 127, Element Depth = 127. Set Tempo Sync ON, Tempo Speed = 1/4.

You can also do it with a Motion Sequence controlling Level. You have more control over Wave shape, and even the "rhythm pattern", but the process is more complex.

There also some "Pedal Effects" that have a "Momentary" (foot)switch. They are only "ON" while your foot is actually pressing the pedal. But, as you say in OP, you want that momentary effect automated (so you don't have to keep pressing the pedal).

An example FX Pedal with this "momentary" nature that I own is a Flanger (a Boss BF3). It sounds great when activated (tapped) in Tempo.

There may be a way to automate "momentary" with LFOs or Motion Sequencing, but you should let us know what effect you want first.

Posted : 12/05/2022 9:32 am
Antony
Estimable Member

@Romuald.... I have just seen your reply, I advise you search for "Half Damper" in the MODX Manuals and on this site. You will also need a Specific type of Yamaha Foot Pedal... I forget the exact model #, but it should be easy to find.

Regards automation? I don't think so, but I am not sure.

Posted : 12/05/2022 9:37 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sustain automation is done using an arpeggio.

Posted : 12/05/2022 2:07 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us