Notifications
Clear all

Backing up and editing Pattern data

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I actually have 2 questions.
1. I've done numerous full backups (.allmodx) on my MODX 8 and it has never backed up the pattern data I've recorded. Am I doing something wrong or does full backups not include Pattern data??

2. Does anyone know if there is currently, or will be in the near future, an app that allows you edit the Pattern data on a computer? I know I can play the MIDI into my Cubase 10.5 and edit the MIDI data there. Although I'm not sure how to get that data back into the Pattern section of the MODX? Also, Cubase has no way of editing Scenes etc. I'll admit I'm a bit spoiled because I've used John Melas's Mo-Tools for my previous Motif, MOFX and now MODX, but as of now he doesn't have an app nor plans on making one that I know of. An app that even just edits the data the way the MODX does would be wonderful. I'm a professional gigger and often perform solo. I have an enormous repertoire of Patterns/Scenes/Songs with accompaniment parts. Creating and Editing with a computer and mouse is so very much faster than bouncing around back and forth on screens on the MODX. Thanks in advance for any info.

Posted : 10/08/2020 6:42 pm
Bad Mister

1. I've done numerous full backups (.allmodx) on my MODX 8 and it has never backed up the pattern data I've recorded. Am I doing something wrong or does full backups not include Pattern data??

Song and Pattern data is saved when you set “Contents Type” = BACKUP FILE using the MODX to create the File to a USB stick plugged directly into the the MODX’s “To Device” Port. The MODX BACKUP FILE uses the extension .X8A
Contents of the MODX sequencer Folders (Song, Pattern) are backed up by the MODX in this file SAVE routine.

2. Does anyone know if there is currently, or will be in the near future, an app that allows you edit the Pattern data on a computer? I know I can play the MIDI into my Cubase 10.5 and edit the MIDI data there. Although I'm not sure how to get that data back into the Pattern section of the MODX? Also, Cubase has no way of editing Scenes etc. I'll admit I'm a bit spoiled because I've used John Melas's Mo-Tools for my previous Motif, MOFX and now MODX, but as of now he doesn't have an app nor plans on making one that I know of. An app that even just edits the data the way the MODX does would be wonderful. I'm a professional gigger and often perform solo. I have an enormous repertoire of Patterns/Scenes/Songs with accompaniment parts. Creating and Editing with a computer and mouse is so very much faster than bouncing around back and forth on screens on the MODX. Thanks in advance for any info.

You do not have to “play the MIDI into my Cubase 10.5”, any data that you record to the MODX Song or Pattern Sequencer can be immediately transferred to Cubase using the MODX CONNECT utility.

Open a Cubase Project
Launch the VST3 plugin “MODX CONNECT”
Click on IMPORT.
MODX CONNECT gives you access to both the MODX “Song” and “Pattern” Folders.
You can literally, drag and drop any Song, or any Pattern Scene directly into a Cubase Project.
Cubase will take each MODX Track and divide it and assign it to your MODX.
Cubase has all the editing tools you need to edit each item you bring in.

When you have completed your edits, you can use Cubase’s ability to SAVE your data as a .MID file;
Go to FILE > EXPORT > MIDI FILE
Your newly edited Scene data can be saved to a USB stick, each by each, and opened in the MODX Sequencer, loading each Scene as needed.

You can learn about how the CONNECT program works through this article (although it’s for the MONTAGE and MONTAGE CONNECT, it works entirely the same for the MODX and MODX CONNECT)...

Link — Using “CONNECT” to Import Patterns

Posted : 10/08/2020 7:51 pm
Topic starter

works like a charm...thanks!!

Posted : 10/08/2020 8:30 pm

p.s. updated link: "Mastering MODX: Using MODX Connect to Import Performance Patterns" --> https://yamahasynth.com/learn/news/mastering-modx-using-modx-connect-to-import-performance-patterns

Posted : 22/02/2021 8:40 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us