Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Best way to connect Ipad to a mixer/Amplifier

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm not sure if its legit for me to ask this here but...

Looking for some kind of adapter to get better audio quality from the ipad to an amplifier. When you using the ipad with the MODX, it sends the audio through the usb cable and then out of the analog outputs of the keyboard. Doing it that way, it sounds great, but when using a midi controller and using the headphone jack of the ipad, it sounds a lot worse. It sounds fine a lower volumes but distorts pretty badly at higher volumes when playing piano patches. I'm looking for some kind of solution such as an Irig or something like it. what is everyone else using?

Posted : 06/01/2019 10:16 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Have you tried adjusting the Output gain (UTILITY menu, "Settings" -> "Audio I/O", USB Main setting and/or USB 1-8 depending - probably just USB Main) ? You may be able to dial this down to avoid the distortion. Reference https://ca.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/1192582/modx_en_rm_a0.pdf (page 190 )

Maybe different earphones would help?

I haven't dealt with the iPad much - maybe there's a gain setting in iOS to adjust the earphone output level or the level of the incoming digital signal as a sort of input gain stage.

Posted : 07/01/2019 5:07 am
Topic starter

Just to clarify, I'm asking when connecting and ipad to a midi controller (not a yamaha keyboard). I have a 15lb Nektar Midi controller. Its just more convenient lugging around when travelling.

Posted : 07/01/2019 1:35 pm
Manuel
Eminent Member

I bought this for my iPad:

Posted : 09/01/2019 11:49 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us