Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can i use an Assignable switch to change the pitch of one part?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 dave
Topic starter

Hopefully ive get the terminology correct for this post ?

I have a 4 part performance. The first two parts are piano, the second two are strings, with the Strings two part an octave higher than the first.
Scene 1 has piano and Strings one, with the Super Knob controlling the strings volume (from 0-max).
Scene 2. Same Piano but with the higher strings, same control as above.
In each scene I’m turning off keyboard control for the un used String part.

What i would like to do is get right of Strings 2, and Scene 2, and be able to hit an Assign button to get the Strings to jump up an octave. Ive looked at Assigning button 1 with Pitch, but it seems the ratio doesnt give an accurate way of tuning this to the octave above.

Is it possible to do this? Am i looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for any advise.

Posted : 09/07/2020 1:23 pm
 dave
Topic starter

Having been pointed in the direction of another similar thread on here i guess i already have my answer. Ill stick with scenes as they are working ok.

The only issue i have is, with scene 1 I’m hardly using the strings, but of course that are playing at 0% volume until i turn them up. If i then switch to Scene two with the higher stings, and have these set to be audible from the moment i jump to this scene, there is an auditable jump from low to high volume, as the low ones are still fading out, which sound messy. I can live with it though.

Posted : 09/07/2020 1:49 pm
Bad Mister

What i would like to do is get right of Strings 2, and Scene 2, and be able to hit an Assign button to get the Strings to jump up an octave. Ive looked at Assigning button 1 with Pitch, but it seems the ratio doesnt give an accurate way of tuning this to the octave above.

If you assign the [AsgnSw] button to the “Element” parameter to “Coarse” the “Curve Type” = Standard, “Polarity” = Uni, “Ratio” = +16 ... this will cause the Strings to jump one octave.

Is it possible to do this? Am i looking in the wrong place?

You can do what you requested, if you use the Element Coarse tuning rather than the Part Pitch parameter. There are other ways to accomplish this same result. I like the approach where the change is not abrupt— when you assign it as above, as soon as you press the AsSw the pitch changes.

Here is an alternate method that involves the using the AsSwitches as Articulation control... this way when you press the button, you arm the Elements that are an octave higher. They will sound, not when you press the button, but only when you press the keys — I find this sonically invisible, Element Switching more musical for most situations because I control by pressing the keys exactly when the octave switch is heard.

How to Setup an Assign Switch to Bring in Strings an Oct +
Call up your String sound... (you didn’t tell us what sounds you were using so we’ll us this one as an example, you can apply it as you need to your Performance)

I’m using “Small Ensemble” — a Single Part, four Element String sound.
I drop into Edit,
Select Element 1 copy it to Element 5
Select Element 2 copy it to Element 6
Select Element 3 copy it to Element 7
Select Element 4 copy it to Element 8

__ When you *select* an Element while in Edit, by touching it at the bottom of the Part Edit screen, you can COPY that Element by pressing [SHIFT] + [EDIT]

Set Elements 1, 2, 3, and 4 to XA CONTROL = A.SW OFF
They will only sound when both AsSw are Off

Set Elements 5, 6, 7, and 8 to XA CONTROL = A.SW2 ON and “Coarse” = +12

When both Assign Switches are Off the Strings play normal Tuning
When you engage (Latch) [AsSw2] the Strings go up one Octave, for all subsequent Notes (pressing the Assign Switch will NOT affect notes already sounding, only Notes played after the button is engaged).

Posted : 09/07/2020 5:29 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us