Notifications
Clear all

How to avoid recording super knob motion in the Pattern Sequencer

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Dear forum.
I want to record loops on the fly at a live concert. I have asigned the cutoff of one of my sounds to the super knob. As I play and record a track, I gradually change the cutoff on the knob, but on the next loop, I want it to stay in the same position.
When I try to do this, the super knob (and cutoff) reset to the initial position when the track loops.
Is there a way to exclude the super knop motion when recording (so that I can still control it afterwards, when the loop is playing)?

Posted : 08/07/2020 10:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Bad Mister's comments in this thread describe Superknob & Patterns.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/pattern-seq-g-first-impressions-and

Posted : 09/07/2020 2:48 am
Bad Mister

Super Knob Reset

Dear forum.
I want to record loops on the fly at a live concert. I have asigned the cutoff of one of my sounds to the super knob. As I play and record a track, I gradually change the cutoff on the knob, but on the next loop, I want it to stay in the same position.
When I try to do this, the super knob (and cutoff) reset to the initial position when the track loops.
Is there a way to exclude the super knop motion when recording (so that I can still control it afterwards, when the loop is playing)?

Thanks for the question.

As I understand the Super Knob behavior in the Pattern Sequencer, the initial position is documented upon you entering Record in each Scene. This guarantees that when played back your Scene behaves exactly as you have recorded it.

Obviously, in order to do that, all parameters it is in control of must be reset to their start conditions. Since the Super Knob might be controlling all manner of parameter Destinations, a return to the top is mandated. As outlined below there are workarounds....

SUPER KNOB Behavior in Pattern Seq
That said, if you wish to use the Super Knob live, in a Pattern, then one can understand how you would not want the Reset upon each cycle. My observations is there are a couple of ways to accomplish this — but some require you work with data on Scene PLAYBACK and others require you adjust your Knob interaction.

Method 1: How to use EraseEvent:
Once a Pattern Scene has been recorded, you can use the ERASE EVENT Job to remove the “Common Super Knob” Sysex message from the Scene.
This will allow you to use the Super Knob “live”... (it will not reset at the top of each cycle).
Touch “Edit/Job” > “Song/Event” > “Erase Event”
Set the Scene number
Set the Start and End Measure/Beat points to match the Length of the entire Scene
Set the “Event Type” = “Sysex” > “Common Super Knob“
Touch the box “Erase Event” to execute

Alternate Method 1:
Alternatively, during playback you can change the playback Length to any value (up to 256) measures... This will delay the reset from happening — the reset will wait until it cycles back to 001.

Summary: I do not believe you can prevent the Super Knob position from being documented at the top of a Scene when recording data in Pattern mode... I believe it is automatically placed as apart to the Pattern Phrase Header.
You can remove it with the Erase Event Job.

Additional Background Information: When you record into a linear (MIDI Song) structure, the initial position of the Super Knob is documented in the Performance data only (not the Sequence data). This means when you recall the Performance, the Super Knob position is recalled... otherwise it is “live” at all times. This is standard operating procedure (I believe).
Data recorded initially to a MONTAGE/MODX MIDI Song, and then moved into the Pattern Sequencer (using the “Get Phrase” Job), does not reset the Super Knob upon cycling to measure 001.

Data in the linear MIDI Song can be moved into a Pattern as follows:
Call up a blank Pattern
Touch “Edit/Job” > “Song/Event” > “Get Phrase”

Setup to capture a range of measures, ALL Tracks, to be brought into a Scene.
Data imported this way does not reset the Super Knob...

Alternative Method 2:
The Super Knob resets at the top measure of the Scene - as mentioned above... If, as you say, you have the Super Knob linked to control a Part’s Cutoff... you can unLink that Common Assign Knob from the Super Knob, this will prevent the Reset of the Cutoff from occurring. You can control the Cutoff with that Common Assign Knob, directly.

From the HOME screen, touch “Motion Control” in the first column
Touch “Super Knob” — here you can unLink any of the 8 Common Knobs from the Super Knob. Doing so will allow the Super Knob to reset without resetting the Common Assign Knob tasked with controlling the Cutoff.

You will still be able to manipulate that that Cutoff by addressing this Knob directly.

Extra Credit:
The Super Knob Link is storable on a per Scene basis.
The Super Knob defaults to controlling the 8 Common Assign Knob.
The 8 Common Assign Knobs, in turn, control different Part Assign Knobs.
The Common Assign Knobs are ‘Super’ in themselves... when you unLink a Common Knob it from the Super Knob, it will still control all parameters linked to it. Plus you get the benefit of it not resetting with each Pattern cycle!

Hope that helps.

Posted : 09/07/2020 3:53 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us