Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can you save arpeggio on/off for individual parts in scenes

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I can't seem to find a way to save whether the arpeggio is tured on or off for individual parts in differet scenes. I know how to set the arpegio number for each scene and I can mute indvidial parts in a scene but I would like to save whether the arpegio for certain parts is on or off in those scenes. For example for a 4 part performance I would like scene 1 to have the arpegio button off for part 1 but the master arpergio still on. Switching to scene two I would like part 1 to have arpegio on.

Is this possible? Thanks in advance

Posted : 04/05/2019 7:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Instead of ARP on/off, using the arpeggio called "Mute" followed by a time signature (such as "Mute 4/4" ) would often yield the desired and most musical result. "Mute x/y" arpeggios will allow for that PART to silently keep time and switch on an arpeggio, when so directed, keeping place with the music. When combined with measure awareness, this allows for you to switch scenes many beats early and the ARP will change (stop or start silence) on measure boundaries on the downbeat of the next "1".

Posted : 04/05/2019 8:28 pm
Topic starter

Thanks jason, I'm not 100% sure what you mean or how to do it but gives me something good to research, if you have a good link that would awesome,

Posted : 04/05/2019 9:25 pm
Topic starter

Jason, I was just reading another arpeggio post by you, ( I learned how to turn on arp hold using shift, thanks for that)

You mentioned how you can assign the 8 arpeggios to soft keys and access via "part select/ mute solo" button. How is this done? I thought you could only do exactly that, select the parts or mute them, I don't see how to use these to switch through the arperggios, that would be awesome.

The only way I seem to be able to switch arpegios is by going into the motion control panel, then the arpeggio panel for common, or via a individual part by going to edit then arpeggio

beinng able to just hit the select/mute button and then hitting one of the 8 soft keys would be much easier, just can't figure out how to get it work..

Posted : 04/05/2019 10:33 pm
Topic starter

FYI for anyone else that reads this thread.

This post talk about muting arpeggios
https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/arpeggios-and-scene-button-switching?start=0#reply-83438

This is the post from Jason i refer to in my followup questionn
https://yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/modx-performance-arps

Posted : 04/05/2019 11:06 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Individual ARPs are numbered 1-8 for each PART. You can assign a conventional arpeggio to any slot which plays notes. You can assign a less conventional arpeggio which only moves controls (likes moves an assignable knob) aka a control arpeggio. Or you could assign one with a hybrid of both notes and control. One special kind of arpeggio that does not play any notes is called "Mute ...". You assign these arpeggios just like you assign the ones that play notes. Pretty much every single factory Performance that uses arpeggios and "starts"/"stops" the arpeggios will use "Mute X/Y" (where X/Y is your time signature) in one of the arpeggio slots. Scenes CAN select one of the 8 arpeggios - so when you want a particular PART to "stop" the ARP from sounding, you would assign a scene number to select the ARP # that is the "Mute" ARP for a particular PART.

The link https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/arpeggios-and-scene-button-switching?start=0#reply-83438 fleshes out using "Mute X/Y" ARPs with pictures - so follow that in detail if that's the sort of behavior you want.

You mentioned how you can assign the 8 arpeggios to soft keys and access via "part select/ mute solo" button. How is this done? I thought you could only do exactly that, select the parts or mute them, I don't see how to use these to switch through the arpeggios, that would be awesome.

I don't think I ever said exactly that - feel free to quote what I said and I'll translate it if there's a misunderstanding. I see in that previous thread, BM mostly talked about the Mute/Solo touchscreen buttons as a way to explain how the loss of physical buttons (vs. Montage) was replaced by touchscreen gestures in MODX.

What I have said in the previous threads is that the ARP select buttons in Montage (and not in MODX) can be "replaced" by scene buttons in MODX since MODX and Montage both allow for assigning one scene button to select the ARP number (just as the physical dedicated ARP button does on Montage).

It's important when you see a word, like "Mute", that's used in two places in the Keyboard's architecture - that you don't get mixed up. And don't combine these two distinctly different things into one thing. They're unrelated.

There's PART "mute" button - which is like the "Mute" button on a mixer board. When you "engage" the MUTE button - it instantaneously makes the whole PART go silent. There's no delay - no hesitation. It turns off the output. If you mash down on the keys - that PART that's muted still will trigger and will silently and internally activate the elements. Such that if you UNMUTE (unsilent) the PART by disengaging MUTE - the PART will make noise right then from a previous keystrike.

Arpeggios have an entirely different "Mute" concept. They do not do what the PART mute does. It's not the same. These are actual arpeggios like the thousands of others you have that make noise. These special mutes do not make any noise - they will cause the ARPEGGIO to go silent. Not the PART. And also, since it's an arpeggio pattern - when it engages will follow arpeggio rules. So if you have the arpeggio set to switch on "measure" - then the arpeggio MUTE will not be instantaneous (like the PART mute always is). Also, arpeggios going silent does NOT mute the PART. Because the PART can be made up of more than just the ARP. You can setup the arpeggio configuration such that your piano key presses for that PART both trigger the ARP and also are set to "direct" so your presses also go straight to the tone generator. When set this way, the PART that has a "Mute 4/4" arpeggio activated will still make noise when striking piano keys that fall within range for this PART. Really wildly different concepts that have distinct rules how they work and different behaviors.

If you want a PART with arpeggios to stop making sound - PART Mute (not arpeggio, the other one) is probably not how you want to handle this. Although you could. Understand what each action does - experiment with each on your own - and apply whatever fits.

Posted : 05/05/2019 2:29 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us