Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Category Search Home

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I recently Purchased a MODX7 and I'm barely getting the hang of it here's my situation . I load a library , I will only keep a few of the Performances so when I find a performance I like I save it to User so it can stay in the MODX when I remove the Library . When I save the Patch I press Store , select store as new performance and save it , once the performance is saved I'm directed to the beginning of the Library . What is the process to save a performance to user but stay on the location of the Library I was in once saved If it's possible ? I hope I explained myself correctly .Any help is appreciated .

Posted : 18/04/2019 1:02 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If the Performances in a Library you're saving to the User bank do not use custom Waveforms (samples) then how you save your content is not as relevant. You can, if no custom Waveforms, either [STORE] or use "Library Import" to save the Performances and nothing is lost when the original Library is deleted.

If the Library Performance you want to save to the User bank does use custom Waveforms, then you'll have to use "Library Import" in order to tell MODX to copy the Waveform(s) from the Library to your User bank. If, for this type of Performance, you used [STORE], the Waveform would not be copied and therefore the Waveforms would be invalid when the Library is deleted. Any element that used custom Waveforms would be silent. You would think something is broken with the Performance.

Use the correct operation to preserve all data.

Posted : 18/04/2019 5:21 am
Topic starter

If the Performances in a Library you're saving to the User bank do not use custom Waveforms (samples) then how you save your content is not as relevant. You can, if no custom Waveforms, either [STORE] or use "Library Import" to save the Performances and nothing is lost when the original Library is deleted.

If the Library Performance you want to save to the User bank does use custom Waveforms, then you'll have to use "Library Import" in order to tell MODX to copy the Waveform(s) from the Library to your User bank. If, for this type of Performance, you used [STORE], the Waveform would not be copied and therefore the Waveforms would be invalid when the Library is deleted. Any element that used custom Waveforms would be silent. You would think something is broken with the Performance.

Use the correct operation to preserve all data.

........Thank you for your response Jason you answered one of my other questions since I do also have a Library with user Samples.......But I guess i did not explain correctly ....When I save the performance is there a way to go back to where I left off in the Library so that I don't have to start at the beginning of the Library and have to go through all the pages to pick up where I left off and continue auditioning the performances ?..It seems every time I save a performance I have to go back to the beginning of the Library ......Thank you .

Posted : 18/04/2019 8:16 pm
Bad Mister

Victor,
You might want to adjust your workflow with Library creation. There are distinct advantages to auditioning, selecting and importing Library items to the User Bank in one operation. A Library is created by assembling the Performance data you wish to include in the User Bank and utilizing the User Waveform area, the User Arpeggio area, the User Live Sets, the User Motion Sequences, etc., etc. Once all the data is assembled you basically “save as...” a Library File.

If you have installed MODX data to a Library location from a .X7L or .X8L File, this means you are attempting to create a customized version of the Library. You would do so by importing the data from that Library to the current USER BANK. You would want to select all the Performances you wish to assemble in one *import* operation... Doing so will allow the MODX to sort through the data and resolve and avoid any possible duplication of custom Waveforms.

Here’s an example... if you have a Library that includes an acoustic piano, and is 400MB of custom Waveforms. There may be only a six of the sixteen Performances that you are interested in... you should use “Library Import” to mark those six items and import them all to USER in one operation.

If you import one, then later import another, you will be importing the 400MB a second time. By doing it in one operation the MODX will recognize the selected items share the same Waveforms — so it will not create duplicate Waveforms. You would only import one Performance at a time if your goal was to actually duplicate the Waveform data because you (presumably) want to create a variation of some kind.

The above example addresses Libraries like the Bosendorfer, and Chick’s Mark V where the same very large Waveform Set is used in each and every Performance. The 16 Performances in each of these Libraries all use the same Waveform set.

If your Library is one where there are different Waveform sets making a variety of different instrument sounds, it will still be a good practice to play through all the Performances and decide which ones you will Import, and (again) Import them all in one operation. This way you avoid completely the possibility of duplicating Waveforms in your User Bank... in case several Performances share the same Waveforms.

Posted : 18/04/2019 10:31 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It's kind of unfortunate that "Library Import" doesn't let you audition in a similar manner as other functions do (like PARTs, etc). What you'll have to do is break out a pencil and some notebook paper. Probably what you're doing. Go to [CATEGORY] (search) and audition there - using your piece of paper to write down the Performances you want to keep. Or maybe - if the list is long enough - just write down the ones you want to throw away (and select all but the ones you write down in Library Import).

Although it's in the process of managing libraries - your real question for the moment is how to use the category search - or why it seems to go bonkers on you when you'd wish it would pick up where you left off if you ever exit out of the category search.

I wish category search was "smarter" sometimes - and others - I wish it wasn't so "smart" selecting what it does. There's general consensus that the category search feature doesn't remember the right things when we re-enter it. You have to work within the limitations of the tool and try to find a way to get something that's efficient. For the purpose of figuring out what to keep and what to discard - when you're in [CATEGORY] (search) - never exit out. There's not really a reason to. Set the bank to the Library you're interested in - set all other filters to "All" so you see ALL of the Performances in this Library. Then start with the 1st Performance in the 1st page - you can touch the performance name. This won't exit out of the category search. Play keyboard keys listening to the sound - use superknob if you want or press A.SW1/2, spin modwheel to listen to what these may or may not do. Scene buttons should work fine too. Almost anything you'd want to do to alter the sound of the Performance you're auditioning can be done without ever leaving category search. So do not exit - or you'll tend to lose your place. After you've auditioned (speaking of - you can press the audition button and see if that does anything) - you'll write down yay/nay on your paper (full perf name), then you can press the right arrow button below the DATA DIAL to move to the next Performance. Rinse and repeat. Until you make it through all 640 (or less) Performances.

Posted : 18/04/2019 10:59 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us