How to Migrate Assignable Outputs from Montage to MODX

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Phil
 Phil
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I have a Montage Performance with a Part designed to an Assigned Output (L). Is it possible to migrate this Performance and keep the part output separate? It appears from the product photos that the MODX does not have Assigned Outputs. What happens to the signal? And, does the reference just disappear from the Edit Part>Common page?

If I need to use the USB instead, is there a simple way to convert the USB signal to a LINE output with some kind of hardware box?

Thanks,
Phil

Attached files

Posted : 15/04/2019 2:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm sure those options are not there for MODX.

Your outputs are limited to Main L&R and Digital (USB) outs.

To route the Digital USB outputs to yet another physical output (1/4" line out, for example) - you'd need a second audio interface that you could loop the audio back to. In Windows, having two audio interfaces active at once is not natively supported, so you'll need something like ASIO4ALL or the VoiceMeeter software.

The only other option would be to rechannel the Performance so it's Mono and use the Main-L channel for what is currently Main L&R (as mono) and then the Main-R channel for your Assign L&R (as mono).

I suppose if you were going to be throwing a computer and external gear at this - you could change the sound(s) that are going through Assign L&R on Montage and re-configure them as MIDI-only targeting a VSTi which generates the sound on the computer instead of using MODX's tone generator. That's a little off the reservation - but a way to "redo" the Performance into something roughly the same.

Posted : 15/04/2019 7:53 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi.
For USB to line, Jason have give you the good informations as far i know on windows.

For how it's react when it's load on MODX, i have just port my Montage set this week-end on my MODX, my mic set to Assignable left in my Montage performances have been set automaticaly to Main L/R ouput on MODX when i check for them.

Posted : 15/04/2019 9:13 pm
Phil
 Phil
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Jason, maybe I can tell you what I am trying to accomplish and let you give me your thoughts. I am a bass player who would like to add synth sounds to our band for gigging. I thought that I could play the bass guitar with the left hand and synth on the right, splitting the keyboard. The PA doesn't handle the bass well, so I would prefer that the bass sounds go to my bass amp. Since I want my cake and eat it too, I would like to keep the stereo for the synth sounds through the PA. I know of two ways to do this:

1. Use a passive splitter like the ART Splitmix4 to split one of the channels (Left). I realize it would cut the volume on the left side, but that is an easy fix. So, I bought the splitter and tried it. Unfortunately, I am getting a hum out of the bass amp. Quiet enough for practice, but too loud for live gigs. I am using a balanced cable out of the keyboard, so any idea what could cause the hum?

2. Use a stereo direct box, and use the "thru" to split off the left channel. So, I bought the Mackie DI box, tried it at church yesterday and couldn't get a sound out of it at all. I have no idea why, maybe DOA? Our other DI boxes worked fine.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Phil

Posted : 15/04/2019 9:51 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I still don't have a clear picture of your setup - at least in terms of how Montage would have been utilized with the Assign L&R outputs along with a clear description of the external and internal audio routings.

Because I also play bass - not in my current capacity at my regular gig - but in past bands sans keyboard.

If I were playing this gig - I'd hook my bass output to the input of my combo head/cabinet. Bass would be alone. I wouldn't need to fiddle with passing bass through MODX's effects - is that what you're doing? Bass through A/D Input back out to Assign L&R? At any rate - if I needed effects for bass it would be rare enough that I could live with a pedal or two to get those chorus'd phase'd sounds. Then the keyboard would route its Main L&R out to the PA. No mingling - and no need to use Assign L&R in any configuration (not in Montage and no finding a workaround for MODX).

If you really want MODX to be a quasi effects loop for your bass amp - then you'll either need to live with having synth sounds mixed in there (not a great solution) or force all PARTs off the bass channel and squeeze the synth to a mono channel using MODX. This is without getting to exotic with the setup. More exotic setups with their own sets of caveats have been given. Guess you could EQ low frequencies to near silence so the keyboard sounds do not compete with the bass. Then the bass and keyboard could share a channel (left OR right) - and the line going to your bass amp could have a cross-over or LPF so the one channel can deliver mostly your bass to your bass amp. The same channel with the bass/synth sharing could have the PA receive a HPF so your bass frequencies are filtered out.

I personally always only get one channel on the mixer - so my gigs would be no different if I used the open R channel for something else like bass. I would say that sacrificing stereo probably gives you the most options - but you'll have to decide if stereo is high or low on your priority list and possibly keep hunting down other solutions.

Posted : 16/04/2019 5:45 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us