Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

connect an external sequencer to modx

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

How can I connect an external sequencer, (you know that french one) to my modx?I have enabled midi I/O to channel 12 and can see midi arriving on the sequencer, but I really want the sounds from my modx to play using modx sounds? ie avoiding my daw. I can see modx connect on my daw, but again no sound is transmitted, ohh well back to fiddling!

Posted : 04/07/2021 2:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Arturia Beatstep Pro?

I'm not sure why there is any concern about data arriving at the sequencer. I would think you would want more to have the sequencer master to MODX and see data arriving at MODX.

When you say you've enabled MIDI I/O on a particular channel, I assume you're using single or hybrid MIDI modes. In that case, the sequencer needs to be configured to send on that same channel.

Posted : 04/07/2021 9:25 pm
Topic starter

Arturia Beatstep Pro? yes, beginner so not sure I could mention that! I have enabled Midi I/O on channel 12, using single midi mode, and set up track 2 on the pro,input12, output 12, Source on auto. I see the midi lights play duplicating my modx keyboard , but hear no sound. I have two midi cables set in and out. Really trying to avoid using my daw, but even that wont send the midi sound to the pro. So i am trying to get a sound from my modx and played on the pro, then I can sequence it............er maybe!
Anyway thanks for your original reply.

Posted : 05/07/2021 7:06 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't know what the rules are - but listing specifics helps even when dealing with 3rd party connected gear.

I'm not sure what this means: "I see the midi lights play duplicating my modx keyboard". And I'm not sure why these lights would or should mean that sound is heard.

Just for grins - open up the MODX "Multi/GM" preset performance and try playing a sequence from your beatstep. "Multi/GM" will place a piano in (almost) every Part. This should not be necessary when using single-channel, but can't hurt.

As far as your MIDI connectivity - you connect MODX's MIDI OUT to Beatstep's MIDI IN. And, more importantly, Beatstep's MIDI OUT to MODX's MIDI IN.

Not that this matters much - but MIDI channel 12 is an atypical choice. I know you can pick what you want but I would tend to pick Channel 1 since I know I will always have a Part on MODX in Channel 1. This would "work" even if, accidentally, the keyboard was set to Multi-Channel MIDI mode. There are quick template "buttons" that undo certain settings like Single-Channel mode. As long as the screen that configures "Single" and the I/O MIDI channel shows "12" (or your eventual setting) - then you know the setting hasn't been "undone". If changing the MIDI channel - you need to both change the MODX configuration and Beatstep's.

In my studio, I have a few brand-new MIDI cables that were faulty. It'd be good to be able to verify the cable is good.

Posted : 05/07/2021 9:24 pm
Topic starter

Yikes I bought the cheapest midi cables, but from a proper electronics supplier rather than a music store, however I rechecked track 2 out my pro , and it had gone back to default, so I reentered 12, and voila sound in the pro, so I assume my cables are OK!!! Phew. Must say its a lot easier than the modx sequencer, which I have yet to find. Still I find the modx wonderful, its great. Thank you Jason for your help, much appreciated, bye from Chile!

Posted : 05/07/2021 9:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

No problem - glad you sorted this out. BTW: sticking with defaults (as I tend to do) such as CH1 (or whatever matches Beatstep's) would also side-step the "oops" moment when the external gear resets to its own defaults.

Again, it's up to you. Keep the setting at 12 if you're OK with chasing the issue down if the same resetting happens in the future. As long as they match - you're fine.

Posted : 05/07/2021 9:56 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us