Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

CP4 controlling Modx via midi DIN whilst using USB for program changes from android device

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Phil
Topic starter

From another thread, I'm trying to get my cp4 working with my modx. Jason replied:

"Working together" doesn't describe if you're using MODX as the master or the CP4 as the master controller.

Using CP4 as the master (CP4 piano keys and controls used to operate MODX):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your MODX Performance uses 4 or less PARTs - then you can leave MODX in Multi-Channel MIDI mode ( [UTILITY] "Settings" -> "Advanced" paramter "MIDI I/O Mode" ). Then use zone control on the CP4 to set Zones 1-4 note limit to full keyboard and MIDI channels 1-4, each zone a different transmit MIDI channel. Since there is a possibility your Performances will use more than 4 channels (probably up to 8) - then it would be best to place MODX in single-channel mode (same utility menu and parameter, set to "Single" ). With the CP4 NOT in master controller mode (zoned) - the MAIN Part should always be transmitting which is fixed to channel 1. So while MODX is in single-channel MIDI mode, ensure the MIDI I/O Channel is set to channel 1.

Using CP4 as the master, under "Controller" - you have options for what MIDI CC the expression pedal and other other pedals send - which can be matched to MODX's.

Using the MODX as master (MODX piano keys controlling the CP4):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have more flexibility using MODX as a master controller. Each PART, when turning Master+PART Zone Control ON on MODX can set the transmit MIDI channel for each PART. You can access the main, layer, and split channels (ch 1, 2, and 3) of the CP4 and set any of your PARTs 1-8 to target those CP4 functions. Or you can leave zone control off and PART 1 will target main, PART 2 will target layer, and PART 3 will target split. If you do not have 3 PARTs turned on in your Performance, you can add 1-2 PARTs and set "Int SW" (internal switch) to OFF for both. This will prevent the PART(s) from triggering the internal tone generator and will only be used to send MIDI to your CP4.

I would like to use CP4 as a master controlling the MODX. Specifically:

I would like the CP4, on channel 1 to be able to control PARTS 9-16 on the MODX, with the MODX controlling PARTS 1-8 internally. I need to be able to use USB midi mode as I would like my android tablet to send midi program changes via USB OTG. I would also like to be able to use the MAIN fader on the CP4 to control the send level of channel 1 and I think that using master zones are not able to utilise the MAIN fader.

Jason, your post has given me some encouragement that I might be able to achieve this, but I've spent many hours trying all configurations I can think of and it doesn't seem possible to me.

Posted : 14/05/2019 10:05 pm
Prominent Member

I would like the CP4, on channel 1 to be able to control PARTS 9-16 on the MODX, with the MODX controlling PARTS 1-8 internally.

In order to do exactly what you ask, you'll need an external device. You could get a MIDI Solutions Event Processor to take channel 1 out of your CP4 and send it to parts 9-16 of the MODX. If you have an iPhone/iPad there are a number of apps you can use that will do it, I think even MIDI BreakOut Box which is 99 cents.

Posted : 15/05/2019 2:23 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The CP4 can either control up to 4 PARTs at a time or all PARTs at the same time. I don't know what the main fader of the CP4 does - but MODX's is purely an analog trim. It doesn't send MIDI or otherwise have an impact on MIDI. An expression pedal with the foot controller port set to the expression CC would send this kind of MIDI. The CP4 also supports such a control.

If you needed the CP4 to cover more than 4 MIDI channels - you'd need something between to re-channel. A PC/laptop/macbook with a DAW + free plugins would do it. Or PC without a DAW and standalone tools (MIDI translators). You could program a lua script using ctrlr. Tablet with Camelot Pro would do it. There's also dedicated hardware devices that can rechannel. MIDI solutions has something - there are other devices from other manufacturers with varying amounts of "other things" the devices do. These can vary widely in expense.

Posted : 15/05/2019 3:52 pm
 Phil
Topic starter

Hi, thanks for the replies. Its as I thought, I may look into a iconnect mio2 or I may just forget getting the cp4 to control the modx and just the cp4 for piano and eps.

Posted : 22/05/2019 9:16 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us