Notifications
Clear all

Create a mini moog sound patch on modx8

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Need a little help here. Our band decided to do Never Been any reason by Head East. I am tying to create the mini moog sound they used on my modx8. I have no clue as where to start. I really suck at creating sound patches so any help would be appreciated. If this is not the place to ask for this kind of help does any one know of any forums that work with this type of inquiries. I have searched the web and could only find the sound patch for a Nord

Posted : 26/07/2023 8:31 pm
Prominent Member

You might want to check out the VCM Mini Filter.
https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/mastering-montage-vcm-mini-filter-and-mini-boost-in-os-v3

It's hard to tell from your description just what sound you are looking for.

Performances Mega 60s VCM T. Wah and Mega1CoilVCM T.Wah use VCM effects. You might want to audition those to see if that is the sound you are looking for.

Posted : 26/07/2023 9:07 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for your reply. I checked it out and found that I have no idea what the hell that was all about. I am afraid that it was way above my pay scale. But thanks anyway, it might help some one else out but like I said I am not much of a programmer but sure can play the hell out of a keyboard

Posted : 27/07/2023 3:43 am
Prominent Member

Well - can you point us to a video/audio snippet of something that has the sound you are looking for?

Posted : 27/07/2023 3:47 am

[quotePost id=122635]Need a little help here. Our band decided to do Never Been any reason by Head East. I am tying to create the mini moog sound they used on my modx8. I have no clue as where to start. I really suck at creating sound patches so any help would be appreciated. If this is not the place to ask for this kind of help does any one know of any forums that work with this type of inquiries. I have searched the web and could only find the sound patch for a Nord[/quotePost]

This video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW1SyUum4qY
shows Dom playing with the VCM Mini Filter. Might give you some ideas. 02:17 in video.

Posted : 27/07/2023 6:23 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I would suggest to browse [CATEGORY SEARCH] and pick a preset that works for you. When I did this, I found 3 different presets on the first page of results that would work fine.

1) Press [CATEGORY SEARCH] physical button
2) Touch "Syn Lead" main category to filter results
3) Touch "Analog" sub category to further filter results

There are now 4 pages of Performances to browse through. Touch any of the Performances (I just start with the upper left and work my way right/down). I was just pressing the "E...., E, F#, G, D...., D, G, A, B, A....." keys to play the main hook. Sometimes having to change octaves to hear the result in the right range.

Takes all of about 4 minutes (or less) to run through one page of 16 Performances. Often you can hear the sound is way far off and not worry with playing any more than one note which speeds the process up (more like 1-2 minutes per page in practice).

So, at worst, that's about 15 minutes of your time to run through every analog synth lead Performance. You're bound to find several that would work fine.

Posted : 27/07/2023 4:36 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Although an organ is certainly a featured instrument in this tune - the ask was for the analog synth sound ("mini moog" ).

But sure - if you're trying to get the organ sound then similar filters (for organs) can be used to find one.

Posted : 28/07/2023 8:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us