Clear all

Sustain pedal assignement

18 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello,

It seems possible (saw it on Youtube) to assign sustain pedal to specific part of the keyboard or certain parts to prevent a global effect. I'd like to know if it's really possible.

Thank you.

At 0:07 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tctUbRE4kw&lc=Ugz2plVdOEXH1ERK6QV4AaABAg.9scv_9uSbN79sh9yuQBHF1

Posted : 28/07/2023 9:30 am
Prominent Member

It seems possible (saw it on Youtube) to assign sustain pedal to specific parts of the keyboard or certain parts to prevent a global effect. I'd like to know if it's really possible.

Yes it is.

1. Edit a part

2. Select the 'Mod / Control -> Receive SW' tab

3. Turn the 'Sustain' switch ON/OFF for the part - if the switch is OFF then it will not respond to sustain messages - if it is ON (the default) it will.

4. Set the 'Note Limit' LOW/HIGH values as appropriate to limit each part to the desired section of the keyboard.

I suggest you experiment with those other switches on the Receive SW tab so you understand how they allow/prevent their specific messages from reaching a part.

Posted : 28/07/2023 3:16 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the explanation, never got the idea to explore the "Receive SW" in detail. So the trick if I want to play a drone bass is to switch off every part for the sustain but the bass (but have to push the pedal all along the track).
Very nice !

Posted : 28/07/2023 7:02 pm
Prominent Member

So the trick if I want to play a drone bass is to switch off every part for the sustain but the bass (but have to push the pedal all along the track).

The 'solution' depends on just what you want/need to do.

If you ALWAYS want the bass part to sustain then you don't need the sustain pedal at all.

Just change the 'Release Time' parameter of the AEG to 127 and you will get a maximum sustain.

Again - try it yourself to see the effect and if that is what you want.

1. INIT NORMAL (AWM2)
2. Edit the part and Element 1 (the only element)
3. Go to the Amplitude -> Amp EG screen
4. play and release a note/chord - notice that it doesn't sustain
5. change the 'Release' time parameter from the default 50 to 127
6. play and release a note/chord - notice the long sustain

If you need to sometimes have bass sustain but not always you can assign a controller (e.g. Mod Wheel) to control the bass part/elements AEG Release value.

Then you can move the Mod Wheel whenever you want bass sustain.

If you know what measures you want bass sustain you can create a motion sequence that controls the AEG release parameter to get the sustain automatically just where you need it and only for the bass part.

You could use a different motion sequence in different scenes and even automate the scene changes using a pattern sequence.

There are multiple solutions - the 'best' one depends on your needs.

Posted : 28/07/2023 7:21 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=122666]Just change the 'Release Time' parameter of the AEG to 127 and you will get a maximum sustain.
[/quotePost]
Cannot test right now but part should be set to "mono" instead of "poly" otherwise the keys will overlap in an awfull mess, won't they ?

Posted : 04/08/2023 1:11 pm
Prominent Member

otherwise the keys will overlap in an awfull mess, won't they ?

I don't know what you use case is or what you are trying to achieve.

But think about it - you use sustain to 'guarantee' that keys will overlap.

Sustain means keep sounding whatever is sounding. So, be definition, if you
play something new while the old is still sounding then they will overlap.

You need to test your use case to see if which of mono/poly is appropriate for what you want.

Posted : 04/08/2023 5:17 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=122666]
If you know what measures you want bass sustain you can create a motion sequence that controls the AEG release parameter to get the sustain automatically just where you need it and only for the bass part.
[/quotePost]
Hello,

I am pleased to learn I can control a MS on a measure basis 😮 ! How is this possible ?

Posted : 24/08/2023 1:19 pm
Prominent Member

I am pleased to learn I can control a MS on a measure basis 😮 ! How is this possible ?

This thread isn't about that - it is about your sustain pedal issue and I think that has been answered.

It isn't clear why you are usiing sustain if what you want is a droning bass line.

Bad Mister shows how to do a 'drone' in this thread
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/arps-and-key-ranges#reply-104000

If you have new questions please create a new thread for them so that people that want to help you can read the thread title to see what you need help with.

Posted : 24/08/2023 9:07 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

An MS will start as a result of a trigger event. This can be velocity based or, (only when using arpeggio based MS) by key range. When the trigger event happens there's a choice for the MS to run only on the first keypress (when holding down one note and pressing another note) or the MS will restart on every key pressed.

Once MS starts - and assuming it keeps running and is not reset - the timing can relate to the tempo and you can setup changes on the beat and/or measure. To me the hard parts of doing this would be how to start the MS at the "right" time, how to keep it running, and fact that timing is strict so this wouldn't work so well in a rubato section where timing of the song is loose. Personally, I think it's more trouble than it's worth although with some effort it could be done.

The MS approach is pretty rigid and if you were going that route it would probably be better to just record the entire bass part as a MIDI file (song) and have that play instead of fooling with MS.

Posted : 25/08/2023 4:27 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=122914]This thread isn't about that[/quotePost] Sorry for streching the topic.

Thank you Jason !

I finally remember I once created a drone bass sound with an ARP by playing a key the relevant time, let's say 2 measures. It worked but could not change the bass for any other duration than the 2 recorded measures.

Posted : 25/08/2023 9:55 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't see anything off topic here.

My suggestion was to sequence the bass line. That's based off of the corner you would paint yourself in if you had sequenced just the sustain pedal. Given that lack of flexibility, you may as well sequence the entire bass line.

Posted : 25/08/2023 8:25 pm
Bad Mister

From a previous post:

Sostenuto — holds down selective notes you wish to sustain
The [MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+] is a synthesizer and supports two (sweep) Foot Controllers and two Foot Switches (one is for a dedicated “Sustain” pedal function, the other is “Assignable” within the Utility mode to a global function). You can select a function such as Sostenuto (cc66) for the Assignable Foot Switch Function.

Press [UTILITY] > touch “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > Set the “FS Assign” = 66

Play your bass notes, latch them with the Sostenuto pedal. Subsequent notes play normally. Use an FC4A/FC5 (TS) type Footswitch.

Posted : 25/08/2023 9:18 pm
Prominent Member

I don't see anything off topic here.

I'm surprised you don't understand why posters often won't get the help they need when they posts questions that have no relevance to the thread title they provided.

The purpose of posting a thread is to get help with a problem. The thread title is the first, and often only, clue to forum readers as to what problem someone needs help with.

This is the thread title:

Sustain pedal assignement

Forum readers that have knowledge of, or want to help with, sustain pedal issues will likely read the thread.

When I said 'this thread isn't about that' is was because OP ask this question:

Conrolling an MS is entirely unrelated to 'Sustain pedal assignment'.

Thus people that have MS experience that read the title 'Sustain pedal assignment' will often not bother to read the thread at all. And they will also tend to abandon reading if the first few posts don't discuss controlling an MS which may be their expertise.

As a result OP won't get help from the very people that can help them.

If, instead, OP creates a NEW thread with a title such as 'How do you control a motion sequence' then people with MS experience will be MUCH MORE likely to actually read the thread to see if they can help.

An OP can always provide a link to a previous thread from the new one if they think that will help.

Asking people to post new questions in a new thread is to help them get the widest possible audience for their question and make it more likely that someone with the relevant experience will see their question and decide to help.

Hopefully you can follow the logic of the above. It is NOT about my personal preference, or sanitizing the thread or anything else. It IS about helping users understand the best way to get the help they seek.

Posted : 25/08/2023 9:50 pm
Bad Mister

@Andrew
‘I’m surprised’… that you recommended the Motion Sequencer as a possible solution for this particular question - at first, I was thinking you had actually worked that out (and I was going to commend you on your experimenting and success in accomplishing this)… I was awaiting your response to “How is this possible?”
But, alas, I was disappointed, as you never replied to that question. Then I recognized you are (perhaps) confusing two functions…

Sustain and Release are related (both describe a portion of an Envelope) but are very different in when/how they are utilized. Seems you’re thinking they could be used interchangeably—they cannot.

Sustain is a function of either a Key being held or a Sustain message actively happening. The Sustain segment in this synth is described by Decay 2 Time and Decay 2 Level. It is a function of the KeyOn portion of play. Release is a function of KeyOff, that is, letting go of the Key or pedal that is inducing sustain. It is described by the Release Time parameter.

Yes, they both can extend the sound… but one requires KeyOn, the other requires KeyOff as the prevailing status. And that’s presents a huge difference as to how you must apply them.
Technically speaking, here is no Sustain when KeyOff status is active.
Release Time is the extension of sound but no KeyOn status exists during its reign.

When describing an AEG (Amplitude Envelope Generator) particularly in the MONTAGE/MODX/MODX+, when you engage a Key (KeyOn) the level rises to Attack Level (level 1) in a manner described by the Attack Time parameter, and it proceeds to the next Level at the (initial) Decay1 Time setting, and so on.

If, however, you lift your finger (inducing KeyOff status) at any point prior to what is defined by the Decay 1 and 2 TIME settings, the envelope will jump from wherever it is currently to the Release Time parameter setting which is responsible for returning the output level to its Initial Level (which is typically silence).

Say you have an AEG that is programmed, when held, to take several seconds to fade down to a sustaining level (Decay 2 Level)…. If you play staccato with this same AEG, each staccato note-on proceeds directly from Attack Level (level 1) to Release Time, bypassing both Decay1 and Decay2 TIME/LEVEL parameters…

Summary: Adjusting the Release Time can be considered ‘sustaining’ but with a small “s”. As you will discover unless you change the Mono/Poly setting to Mono, you have no comfortable way to control the length of the Release dynamically

Anyway, I would, and often do, recommend the MS to automate a lot of different things but not to control the AEG of a sound I was attempting to perform live…

I don’t want to discourage you from experimenting and attempting to do this, if you succeed in this please, post your result. I’d love to hear it. And an example performing it.

Posted : 26/08/2023 2:26 pm
Prominent Member

It's almost like you didn't see two things:

It's almost like you didn't read and/or didn't understand ANYTHING that I said.

That the OP got exactly the help he needed from exactly the right people, right in here.

It certainly isn't for you to say OP 'got exactly the help' they wanted. That is for OP to indicate. And OP hasn't said whether they got the help they needed on that new issue or not.

Assuming, arguendo, that they did get the help needed for that new issue they only got it because those 'exactly the right people' had decided to read the thread based on the 'sustain' thread title.

Are you suggesting that creating those 'exactly the right people' would not have read or helped if OP had, as I suggested, created a new thread with a title appropriate to the question?

If you are suggesting that then you clearly don't understand human nature.

And that these forums don't have the kinds of traffic volumes or user base necessitating any kind of separation of church and state.

You are misguided. It isn't about traffic volumes or some arbitrary separation of church and state.

It is ONLY about the best way to get the WIDEST POSSIBLE AUDIENCE for questions that you need help with.

The forum thread title is equivalent the headline of a newspaper article. Most people read the headline. Fewer start reading the actual article. And FAR FEWER read the whole article if the first part hasn't captured their attention.

Certainly there are a few people that will read every thread just as there are a few people that will read every newspaper article.

People are free to post any question, on any topic, in any forum they wish. But if they want to maximize their chances of getting their question noticed, read and responded to they should heed the PROVEN advice I gave.

For best results you need a good headline.

Posted : 26/08/2023 5:28 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us