Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Sustain pedal assignement

18 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Prominent Member

‘I’m surprised’… that you recommended the Motion Sequencer as a possible solution for this particular question

LOL! What's so funny is that I'm not even sure which 'particular question' you are even referring to since OP keeps moving the target.

Actually it was modifying AEG 'Release Time', not Motion Sequencer, that I suggested as a possible solution.

Maybe that is what you are surprised about? Rather than MS per se?

Here is my thought process - it begins with what you noted in your reply

Summary: Adjusting the Release Time can be considered ‘sustaining’ but with a small “s”.

1. Example of manually modifying release time so OP could hear its effects and see it that could do what they want (which still isn't clear to me even now).

2. Mentioning using manual manipulation of the Mod Wheel to dynamically modify release time - assuming that OPs tests of
manual modification in #1 met their goals

3. Use of Motion Sequence, scene and pattern sequence to automate the modification of release time to tie the changes to specific measures.

So #1 is to try manual release time changes first since it is the easiest thing to try to see if it will do the job. That only effects a STATIC change.

Then #2 is to try using the Mod wheel to effect a dynamic change to see if you can do what you need to do.

Then #3 is to AUTOMATE the release time change assuming you know how the changes should be applied.

So the Motion Sequence suggestion was just to achieve AUTOMATION of the Release TIme changes assuming that modifying the release actually solved OP's problem.

I concluded by mentioning the pattern sequencer to tie things to specific measure since MS can't do that on its own.

If you know what measures you want bass sustain you can create a motion sequence that controls the AEG release parameter to get the sustain automatically just where you need it and only for the bass part.

You could use a different motion sequence in different scenes and even automate the scene changes using a pattern sequence.

There are multiple solutions - the 'best' one depends on your needs.

So when OP said this

I am pleased to learn I can control a MS on a measure basis 😮 ! How is this possible ?

I suggested OP move his NEW question(s) to a new thread where it(they) would get better visibility and perhaps attract attention from some of the 'now semi-reclusive' experts. that still lurk around from time to time.

Anyway, I would, and often do, recommend the MS to automate a lot of different things but not to control the AEG of a sound I was attempting to perform live…

I'm still unclear on just what problem OP is really trying to address. They go from sustain pedal issues to DRONE BASS. I wasn't so much 'recommending' a particular solution as I was trying to offer things for OP to try.

Unplanned, semi-random sustain changes aren't normally appropriate for automation but DRONING often is. I'm not sure what OPs use case really is.

Hopefully the above at least conveys the thought process I was using in my replies.

Posted : 26/08/2023 6:18 pm

On a completely unrelated topic and of course this is just my opinion. I think it was a big mistake teaching monkeys how to write. They just seem to confuse the issues and don't really add any useful information. 🙂

Posted : 26/08/2023 7:51 pm
Prominent Member

I think it was a big mistake teaching monkeys how to write.

You mean the infamous 'To be or not to be, that is the gazorninplat'?

Keep in mind that it was a SCIENTIFIC experiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngmf8G5xKas

Posted : 26/08/2023 9:06 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us