Notifications
Clear all

DAW/Multi/GM

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Reputable Member
Topic starter

What is the algorithm for working in cubase?
I would like to manually record MSB/LSB/PC to midi tracks...
Performance Multi/GM is #64-31-128
How to assign every channels?
When I click to Bass or Guitar (Performances) it's try to replace my Multi/GM Performance 😮

Maybe I need edit any channels and resave performance under new name?
And I no need to write every channel to MSB/LSB?

Why channels above eight haven't keyboard control? Is it possible to use in DAW? (16-channels)

---

Quick Setup is alternative Audio I/O ? When I set Audio I/O Output to +12dB, Quick Setup every time destroyed to 0dB
I don't use QS but it's meets in some tutorials

Posted : 23/04/2021 5:44 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Only Parts 1-8 have the possibility of having keyboard control turned on.
Parts 9-16 cannot have keyboard control turned on.

This is the way the keyboard has been designed to work. I cannot elaborate on the design philosophy and/or technical/resource limitations that led to this design decision.

An external MIDI device (such as your computer + DAW) can simultaneously access all 16 channels at once. Keyboard control need not be activated in order for a DAW to play these Parts with keyboard control turned off.

MSB-LSB-PC = 64-31-128 describes an entire performance change.

Reference: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/1192592/modx_en_dl_d0.pdf

... page 187, table in lower-right.

Notice that all entries that start with MSB=64 are referred to as "(Multi Part)". This means the entire Performance will be replaced.

Notice that all entries that start with MSB=63 are referred to as "(Single Part)". This means that only one Part at a time will be swapped out. This is what you're looking for. When sending these commands, send to the MIDI channel corresponding to the Part you want to change. Your MIDI mode needs to be Multi-Channel in order for this to work best.

Send 63-0-3 to MIDI channel 2 and you will see that Part 2 will be replaced with Performance #4 (CFX Stage).

The formula is (LSB*128+PC)+1. That number will represent the Performance number documented on pages 2-17 of the data list.

So in the above LSB=0, PC=3. So (0*128+3)+1 = 4 (Performance #4 in the data list = CFX Stage).

I picked CFX Stage since it is a single-Part Performance. If you do a MIDI MSB-LSB-PC replacement of a single Part and the Performance number selected is a multi-Part Performance - then only Part 1 of that Multi-Part Performance will be placed in the Part you target using the MIDI channel of the MSB/LSB/PC.

Say I want to make "JB Flat Wound AF" (Fender Jazz Bass with flat-wound strings) on Part 2. In the data sheet, it's shown as Performance # 1071.

I created a cheat sheet a long time ago that still applies. Check out: https://www.docdroid.net/BynDQLc/montage-fw-v25-perfbankpc-partcount-cheatsheet-lined-pdf#page=15

Sorry in advance about the spam - docdroid wasn't this bad when I posted these a long time ago. My advice is to download the document using the button in the upper-right of the screen (if you can get past the popup garbage) - and view the cheat sheet on your local computer instead of dealing with docdroid for online viewing.

The 5th column shows a "1". This indicates that Performance #1071 (JB Flat Wound AF) is a single-Part Performance. Good. Then the next columns: "63-8-46" tell you the MSB/LSB/PC for this Performance. The work is already done for you. Lets check that.

LSB=8, PC=46 (decimal) Performance=(LSB*128+PC)+1 = (8*128+46)+1 = 1071. This matches - good.

Also, note that when the 5th-11th column in the cheat sheet have a black background - this indicates single-Part Performances.

... you can come up with the formula to go the other way (start with a Performance # and resolve what the LSB and PC must be).

Just remember that the MSB must be 63 (not 64) when you want to change just a single Part.

Posted : 23/04/2021 8:09 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I try to load init Multi/GM Performance and load preset on the channel.
Two idea - delayed tiks or use different channel for load the performance.

Maybe exist SysEx to load Multi/GM?

Posted : 23/04/2021 10:50 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Where do you send MSB=63? Please review the information I gave.

Posted : 24/04/2021 3:55 am
Reputable Member
Topic starter

My apologies!
I'm an inexperienced newbie
And I inadvertently confused the Performance name with the Type / Name Switch
I didn't even notice the difference visually
Now I understand where 63 names 🙂

Posted : 24/04/2021 4:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Ok - I hope what you have your question solved and everything is working for you.

Posted : 24/04/2021 8:18 pm
Bad Mister

@ab,

Please see this thread for a possible change in your workflow... that may save you lots of time and effort....
The MODX has the type of memory that allows you to STORE the actual instrument program selections (including all of your customizations to each sound) you wish to use...

When you use the workflow where you recall instruments from a Program Change list, you may need to place an individual BankSelect/ProgramChange on each Track/for each Part — and it limits you to recalling them in their pre-stored condition.

Because the MODX has this type of expensive memory (and has tons of it) it invites you to STORE an exact version of each instrument program (with your EQ, with your Insert Effects, with you edits to the filters, to the envelopes, etc., etc., etc.) in the Performance.

And then, using MODX CONNECT within your DAW, every custom sound, and musical event concerning the Song can be stored in one file. Such that when you open the File, it automatically sends your MODX data to the MODX. Designed to work with the DAW to help capture/restore your MODX settings.

You maybe able to bypass inserting any BankSelect/ProgramChange data, at all.

Replacing Voices in GM Files

Posted : 25/04/2021 2:42 pm
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thank you!

Please, can you tell me if it is possible to use SysEx instead of MSB - LSB - PC? I would really like to have such an opportunity. Just an example

Posted : 05/05/2021 5:01 pm
Bad Mister

Thank you!

Please, can you tell me if it is possible to use SysEx instead of MSB - LSB - PC? I would really like to have such an opportunity. Just an example

Please see my answer here: How to change Part via Sysex

Posted : 05/05/2021 7:55 pm

Posted by: Jason

Only Parts 1-8 have the possibility of having keyboard control turned on.
Parts 9-16 cannot have keyboard control turned on.

This is the way the keyboard has been designed to work. I cannot elaborate on the design philosophy and/or technical/resource limitations that led to this design decision.

An external MIDI device (such as your computer + DAW) can simultaneously access all 16 channels at once. Keyboard control need not be activated in order for a DAW to play these Parts with keyboard control turned off.

MSB-LSB-PC = 64-31-128 describes an entire performance change.

Reference: https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/1192592/modx_en_dl_d0.pdf

... page 187, table in lower-right.

Notice that all entries that start with MSB=64 are referred to as "(Multi Part)". This means the entire Performance will be replaced.

Notice that all entries that start with MSB=63 are referred to as "(Single Part)". This means that only one Part at a time will be swapped out. This is what you're looking for. When sending these commands, send to the MIDI channel corresponding to the Part you want to change. Your MIDI mode needs to be Multi-Channel in order for this to work best.

Send 63-0-3 to MIDI channel 2 and you will see that Part 2 will be replaced with Performance #4 (CFX Stage).

The formula is (LSB*128+PC)+1. That number will represent the Performance number documented on pages 2-17 of the data list.

So in the above LSB=0, PC=3. So (0*128+3)+1 = 4 (Performance #4 in the data list = CFX Stage).

I picked CFX Stage since it is a single-Part Performance. If you do a MIDI MSB-LSB-PC replacement of a single Part and the Performance number selected is a multi-Part Performance - then only Part 1 of that Multi-Part Performance will be placed in the Part you target using the MIDI channel of the MSB/LSB/PC.

Say I want to make "JB Flat Wound AF" (Fender Jazz Bass with flat-wound strings) on Part 2. In the data sheet, it's shown as Performance # 1071.

I created a cheat sheet a long time ago that still applies. Check out: https://www.docdroid.net/BynDQLc/montage-fw-v25-perfbankpc-partcount-cheatsheet-lined-pdf#page=15 my location now

Sorry in advance about the spam - docdroid wasn't this bad when I posted these a long time ago. My advice is to download the document using the button in the upper-right of the screen (if you can get past the popup garbage) - and view the cheat sheet on your local computer instead of dealing with docdroid for online viewing.

The 5th column shows a "1". This indicates that Performance #1071 (JB Flat Wound AF) is a single-Part Performance. Good. Then the next columns: "63-8-46" tell you the MSB/LSB/PC for this Performance. The work is already done for you. Lets check that.

LSB=8, PC=46 (decimal) Performance=(LSB*128+PC)+1 = (8*128+46)+1 = 1071. This matches - good.

Also, note that when the 5th-11th column in the cheat sheet have a black background - this indicates single-Part Performances.

... you can come up with the formula to go the other way (start with a Performance # and resolve what the LSB and PC must be).

Just remember that the MSB must be 63 (not 64) when you want to change just a single Part.

I recommend checking out the cheat sheet you created a long time ago, which is available at https://www.docdroid.net/BynDQLc/montage-fw-v25-perfbankpc-partcount-cheatsheet-lined-pdf#page=15. The cheat sheet provides useful information about single-Part Performances and helps you determine the MSB/LSB/PC for a specific Performance number.

Posted : 19/04/2024 10:17 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us