Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Diagnostics/Test Mode

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Is there a key/switch sequence that can invoke a diagnostic/test mode for the MODX? I’ve seen this done with a CVP model that went through LED checks, circuit board tests etc. etc..
Or does the OS perform some kind of self test upon startup automatically like a computer would? I realize that this would be something a service tech would do as part of the regular servicing but if a user could perform it, it would be helpful in the decision whether or not it would require servicing in the first place.

Thanks

Posted : 18/01/2019 11:31 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The service mode information for other Yamaha keyboards is not difficult to find and "all" keyboards have been consistent honoring those same methods. The problem with advertising this stuff is that test modes take the guard rails off and it's very easy to lose your user data by running a destructive test. The modes are generally documented in the service manual (that any user can purchase). The service manual includes details and warnings for how to properly use these tests to avoid corrupting data (or instructions to save off all data before entering test mode). It may be "dangerous" for the casual user to give test modes the old college try as hard work may be lost in the process.

Posted : 19/01/2019 4:37 am
Topic starter

I found the Yamaha Resource Portal (yamaha24x7.com) but they didn’t have the MODX or even the MONTAGE listed in their service manual database. The latest model they had was the MOTIF XF. I did get a toll free number that I’ll be calling as soon as they come back after the weekend.

Posted : 20/01/2019 12:42 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The Yamaha Parts department would be happy to walk you through. Service manuals are very affordable and available in searchable PDF form on a CD.

Posted : 20/01/2019 6:23 am
Topic starter

The Yamaha Parts department would be happy to walk you through. Service manuals are very affordable and available in searchable PDF form on a CD.

Actually, the primary reason for the service manual at the moment is the code to get into diagnostic mode. Maybe they can just tell me that on the phone - although it’d be useful to have the service manual for future reference. I’ve always tried to have service manuals handy for all my stuff - including cars!

Posted : 20/01/2019 9:35 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The service manual describes the different test modes and what to watch out for - so not only would you benefit from the "code" (method of entering) - but also which tests will clobber memory and which are safe. Also descriptions of what to do and how to interpret the results.

Posted : 21/01/2019 2:33 am
Topic starter

Looks like I won’t have to call them after all. I just came from the Resource Portal site and they have the manual in stock at $16.48USD (no shipping).

Posted : 21/01/2019 11:27 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us