Clear all

Disabling Parts in Multi/GM Performances

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 M
Topic starter

Hi everybody,

when in the studio (95% of the times) I use my MODX in a midi chain, using it as a multitimbral module, this means it performs different parts on the respective midi channels.
Since MODX is not the only piece of gear I use, I need to address some music parts to other sound modules. The problem is: even if I enable 8 parts only, everytime I send a PC to another machine, the MODX automatically enables the relative parts, with the result of two sounds coming out at the same time (MODX + Other synth).

I have assigned my Multi/GM Perf channels from 1 to 8, leaving the other channels for other modules. I tried several workarounds but no luck. First, I saved my multi/GM Perf with only the first eight parts enabled. It doesn't work cause the MODX automatically enables that part. So I tried to set the unwanted part's audio output to "Off", same story: the MODX enables the outputs. Lastly, I tried to assign a different device number to the MODX itself, same result.

Is there a way to disable Parts on the MODX?

Thanks

Posted : 02/03/2019 2:06 pm
 M
Topic starter

It looks like I find a workaround. I disabled the PC and Bank "Receive SW" on all the parts I don't want to be played and re-saved the Perf.
If the MODX doesn't get the PC, it doesn't activate the part(s).

Quite simple once you know it, even if that's not how it's supposed to be.

Posted : 02/03/2019 4:30 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

1) Load PART by Single-PART MSB/LSB/PC
2) Immediately after, set the channel volume to 0
3) After levels are set - send MIDI note on/off messages

Posted : 02/03/2019 6:21 pm
 M
Topic starter

Hi Jason,

thanks but this won't work, cause the part into the Multi is set on the same channel of the external module I need to use.
So, when I send the commands to my module (PC, Volume, FX Send etc.) the MODX will get them too.

Disabling the receive switch, the PC won't reach the MODX, and so it won't enable the Part.

This is my set now:
MODX (Ch 1 to 8)
Old Motif Rack (Ch 10 to 14)
Novation Ultranova (Ch 15)

I need all the channels other than 1 to 8 disabled on the MODX

Posted : 02/03/2019 11:13 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

After sending the last MODX msb/lab/pc, send an msb that MODX doesn't use like 99. Maybe then subsequent PCs will be ignored.

Posted : 03/03/2019 8:38 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us