Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MIDI Learn on MODX Controllers

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Cubase & MODX two YAMAHA products, which I really like 😀 Is there a way to get "Midi learn" Function from Cubase VST instruments/plugins on my physical Knobs/Sliders etc.?

Posted : 03/03/2019 1:38 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

MIDI learn applies to controllers that send CC values. There are several knobs which output CC and can be MIDI learn'd. Currently MODX does not have the DAW remote mode that Montage has - but this should be forthcoming in a firmware update. Once this is done, the amount of controllers which can produce CC values will be expanded and more configurable on the MODX side.

In common mode (no PART selected) - your assignable knobs should all be transmitting CC. Superknob can be configured to CC (I believe this is a default). Pitch bend and (EDIT - no, not pitch bend). Thanks Phil for the correction

Btw- the Pitch Bend Wheel does not send a CC, it will always send “En” (Pitch Bend) which is its own category of message... “E” is the Pitch Bend, and “n” is the current Channel, 0~F.

mod wheel will send their standard CC messages. Different modes of knob operation (EQ/FX, etc) will send CC for some, not all, knobs.

Posted : 04/03/2019 2:39 am
Topic starter

Thx Jason for this update. SuperKnob works perfect. Sliders with "delay" - so we are waiting for the update. Not out yet, just checked.;)

Posted : 04/03/2019 3:57 pm

Don't hold your breath. Some of us are waiting for this update since the MODX release. No official word yet, so it may be a month, a year or never.

Posted : 05/03/2019 3:10 am
Bad Mister

Cubase & MODX two YAMAHA products, which I really like 😀 Is there a way to get "Midi learn" Function from Cubase VST instruments/plugins on my physical Knobs/Sliders etc.?

You can use the MODX’s ZONE MASTER function to control your DAW based VSTi

The Zone Master is activated in [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Advanced”
Find the Zone Master, Set it to ON.
Then within the Performance you are going to use you can view what CC messages you are currently sending
From the HOME screen
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Control” > “Control Number”

You can setup a Single Part with a “dummy” sound (by this we mean you set the Part’s INT SW (Internal Switch) = OFF, and select a MIDI Transmit Channel on which you transmit Out). Use this Part Zone Slot to address your VSTi

Don’t worry about what is not in your instrument, use what already is! You will find it works every bit as well as the feature you’re led to believe you need... just saying... you can create custom Performances for each VSTi you wish to control.

If you need help just post back here.
(Btw- the Pitch Bend Wheel does not send a CC, it will always send “En” (Pitch Bend) which is its own category of message... “E” is the Pitch Bend, and “n” is the current Channel, 0~F.

Posted : 11/03/2019 5:20 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us