Notifications
Clear all

Drop Tune

14 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

We are going with 2 singers. of which one wants us to drop down one semi tone. What I am hoping I can do is put all performances on one flash drive and then have a copy of those performances drop tuned on another flash. I can drop all my wave files using my DAWS easy enough. Other than going through each element of each voice and dropping the pitch (I want to save all my split points, trigger notes, etc) is there an easier way to do this.. They band did not like my suggestion of just getting another singer.

Posted : 18/02/2022 8:22 am
Antony
Estimable Member

Utility - Sound - Settings - Tone Generator - Note Shift - Change Value - then press Exit Button.

You will need to remind yourself to check and do this... tape a Note to the top of your MODX.

Posted : 18/02/2022 8:49 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You can save this by making a backup (X8A). So before making the parameter change save an X8A and call it "Std_202202" and then note shift globally and save that X8A as "Drp_202202". That's "standard tuning" and "drop tuning" followed by the date of year and month.

That satisfies your request - but it may take a long time to save and restore these backups vs. just changing the parameter manually.

Posted : 18/02/2022 1:20 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys. I followed Anthony's suggestion first and ran a little test. What I found was that every thing came out fine, split points and trigger notes stayed the same. The wave forms even dropped 1/2 step (good thing). But..... the tempo also slowed down by about 6 bpm. So when using Anthony's suggestion I would go....Utility - Sound - Settings - Tone Generator - Note Shift - Change Value - then press Exit Button and if using an arp pattern using a custom wave form triggered by a key on command in the performance increase the tempo by 6 bpm. Does that sound about right. Hope that works because that would save alot of time. Singers...... so demanding

Posted : 19/02/2022 6:43 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't think any of the below is happening to you, so skip ahead ...

Note shifting doesn't do a thing to the tempo. Assuming the tempo is not manually purposefully changed or tempo is not provided by an external device you sync tempo with: the tempo is stored inside each Performance and doesn't change until you recall a new Performance (and that new Performance has a different tempo).

If you have USB (to Host) connected to something or if you have MIDI devices connected to the MIDI ports AND you have the MIDI clock setup to come from the MIDI bus - then your tempo may be changing due to tempos supplied by connected devices.

Some other sources for tempo changes (other than the Performance settings and external sync):

1) Audio beat sync
2) Tap tempo with foot switch (must be configured for tap tempo)
3) [SHIFT]+[ENTER] then press [ENTER] as button tap tempo
4) Manual tempo entry on screen with tempo parameter - also touch in tap tempo area
5) Loading an old backup that "undos" changes to Performance-saved tempos

Note shift doesn't touch any tempo

Skipping Ahead ...

... however, I'm re-reading. Maybe you mean you're using a "Wav" or AIFF file (now a sample/waveform inside MODX) that will not play its root note unless you play it at the right "pitch". And playing a different pitch will "stretch" the sample and play the contents faster or slower due to the stretching.

If that's it - that you're using a "backing track" mapped to a key - then you're going to need to pitch shift the backing track with tools that will alter pitch without changing the timing. Cubase that comes with MODX should be able to handle this although there are other tools that may be easier to use.

MODX doesn't have a built-in sampler feature to handle this task on-board.

Posted : 19/02/2022 7:17 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

... however, I'm re-reading. Maybe you mean you're using a "Wav" or AIFF file (now a sample/waveform inside MODX) that will not play its root note unless you play it at the right "pitch". And playing a different pitch will "stretch" the sample and play the contents faster or slower due to the stretching.

If that's it - that you're using a "backing track" mapped to a key - then you're going to need to pitch shift the backing track with tools that will alter pitch without changing the timing. Cubase that comes with MODX should be able to handle this although there are other tools that may be easier to use.

MODX doesn't have a built-in sampler feature to handle this task on-board.

Exactly what I was trying to do. My DAWS can handle the pitch change. We don't have to many songs that require me to do this on so maybe I'll just create double performances of them. One dropped and one standard. I'll figure something out. Thanks again guys for the help. Still learning the the modx and still have the moxf so between the two I think I can work something out

Posted : 19/02/2022 10:36 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you pitch shifted down by 1 semi-tone externally and saved a .WAV of the shifted (pitch, with original timing) then mapped this to the key 1 half step down - then when you note shifted the sample wouldn't be stretched because the new sample (.WAV) would play and have correct timing.

The same Performance (with both samples) could be used for both keys selected by the note shift parameter.

Posted : 19/02/2022 11:54 am
Prominent Member

One caveat about using Note Shift for this purpose... If your Performance contains any external zones (e.g. the Performance includes a sound from an attached iPad/iPhone, or another keyboard connected via MIDI, etc.), the external sound won't be shifted and so will be playing in a different key from your internal sounds. So you'd have to manually shift your external device as well.

Posted : 19/02/2022 2:56 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

@AnotherScott.... I think there is a second Utility function on the same page as Note Shift for Transposing Zones (IIRC its actually named Transpose). I've never used Zones, so please forgive me if I misunderstood.

Posted : 19/02/2022 3:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Transpose doesn't shift the split points - so if the splits are very precise with no margin then this could "mess up" the splits right on the lines. It depends. This is only a half-step so transpose may not be impactful.

Posted : 19/02/2022 8:32 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Must have missed a step somewhere Jason. Here is what I did.
Top track is a midi arp pattern starting on G
1- recorded the perf back to DAWS to get my standard tune .wav (yellow 'feels like arp1) starts on G
2- On DAWS I edited it down 1 semi to get my dropped tune .wave (blue 'feels like arp2) starts on F#
3- Transferred to flash
4- initiate drum perf
5- edit > osc/tune> drum key 'D0'> new waveform > load 'feels like arp1' assign mode 'single' > rec/note 'off' >
group '1'
level/pan > time attack '0' > decay1 '127' > decay2 'hold' > level decay1 '127'
(here is where I think wrong - but I'm on a roll so I continue)
6- went to utility > note shift '-1semitone' (I'm thinking there is another note shift parm that you were referring to that I
missed)
7- repeated step 5 except for drum key is now 'C#0' and new waveform is 'feels like arp2'
8- repeated step 5 except for drum key is now 'C0' and new waveform is ' blank' but I turned the volume to '0' and group to
'1' just so I don't have to listen to waveform play out
9- returned to utility and reset to '0semitone' ....saved perf and time to test
10- press 'D0' and record yellow track 1.... perfect ....arp starts on G lasts for 18sec like the orig
11- press 'C#0' and record blue track 2 ..... perfect ....arp starts on F# lasts for 18sec like the orig
12- go to utility and change note shift to '-1semitone for that pesky singer (you probably already know whats coming)
13- press 'D0' and record yellow track 3.....arp starts on F# and lasts for 18.5secs.... not good
14- press 'D0' and record blue track 4.....arp starts on E and lasts for 18.5secs.... not good

Your thoughts

Posted : 20/02/2022 3:10 am
Antony
Estimable Member

Because you are using the "Sample Engine" to play the backing track, it seems to me that the backing track is being stretched (lowering in pitch and taking longer to complete). I'm not sure why that "stretching" would happen with Note Shift.

My first thought is change the Drum Keys one Semitone higher and see if that corrects the problem.

You might want to experiment also with Note Shift in the Edit Part parameters... may be this can be used to correct it. Do this in the Drum Part used to cue the backing track.

Another option, Store 2 Performances, one for each singer, and put the backing track in the Audio Recorder (.wav file) and use the Transport Play button to cue the Song (it will play back at whatever pitch you recorded).

Posted : 20/02/2022 6:27 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Stretching is going to happen if there's no sample for the key. This is why I suggest providing a proper sample for the other transposition.

For a normal Part ...

"Note shift" doesn't (always) prevent stretching. It depends on how the Waveform (collection of samples) is constructed.

Fine/coarse tuning will stretch the sample "in place" no matter what adjacent samples are available. "Note shift" will "play" a higher or lower key's sample which may or may not itself be stretched due to sample density.

I'm not so sure about Drum parts. I was originally thinking about these samples being under normal Parts (not drum) with an ARP to hold the key. I'll have to look at drums because, frankly, I don't use drums for much of anything in my own workflow.

Posted : 20/02/2022 7:02 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

You beat me here Jason.
Problem solved....When I mapped my dropped tuned arp to 'C#0' on the osc/tune page there is coarse tune and fine tune parameter that jumped out at me. Set the coarse to '+1' and there was much rejoicing. Once again, you guys helped out. Thanks much

Posted : 20/02/2022 7:36 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us