Notifications
Clear all

Exporting sequences and patterns?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm thinking about upgrading my trusty MODX7 to the new Montage M. The big thing of course is how to move my data over if I do. Performances and such can easily be saved to an All file and then loaded into a Montage M, but what about songs and patterns stored in the sequencer? I couldn't find a way to export those. I saw an option to save .mid files but it always says "No data" when I try. I only have used the pattern sequencer, not the linear song sequencer.

From what I've read, sequencer data isn't saved in an All file, only Backup files, and Backup files from a MODX can't be loaded into a Montage M.

Is there a way to get patterns moved over? Do I have to use the MODX Connect VST? That seems to be the only way I have found online.

Thanks.

Posted : 15/10/2023 1:50 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=123839]Do I have to use the MODX Connect VST? [/quotePost]
As long as you are not DAW averse, MODX Connect is a great solution.
You can store your Patterns and the corresponding Performance in a DAW project.

Posted : 15/10/2023 9:16 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Montage and MODX have files that end in "A" (X7A, X8A) and the "a" stands for "all". Therefore, just letting you know that an "all file" and "backup file" are synonymous.

The Montage M manual shows that either the Montage or MODX backup files can be loaded by the Montage M.

Loading settings from a USB flash drive (Load)
[...]
File formats used for older models
MOTIF XS (.X0A, .X0V, .X0G, .X0W)

MOTIF XF (.X3A, .X3V, .X3G, .X3W)

MOXF (.X6A, .X6V, .X6G, .X6W)

MONTAGE (.X7A, .X7U, .X7L)

MODX, MODX+ (.X8A, .X8U, .X8L)

Posted : 16/10/2023 3:16 am
Prominent Member

I just tested by loading one of my Modx backup files and it loaded just fine.

Posted : 16/10/2023 3:38 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=123860]How do you store a Performance in a DAW Project?[/quotePost]
That's what MODX Connect does in the first place.
You don't even need to save the Perf on the synth anymore.

You use the MODX just like a VST, the Perf is synched with the MODX Connect (either automatically or manually, depending how you set it up) and stored in the DAW project.

When you open the DAW project, the Perf is automatically uploaded to the MODX.

Also, MODX Connect (either as a VST or in standalone mode) lets you save a Perf as a file on disk, and load it later and upload to the MODX.

It's a very convenient way to store patches and create your "libraries" in the PC, especially when you learn, do tuts etc and save tons of versions.

Posted : 16/10/2023 6:53 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=123863]The experience you describe is another level of useful. Thank you!

[/quotePost]
It's a fantastic workflow!

Posted : 16/10/2023 7:18 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

[quotePost id=123859]I just tested by loading one of my Modx backup files and it loaded just fine.
[/quotePost]Did it load your sequences as well?

Posted : 16/10/2023 11:18 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Montage M Connect hasn't dropped yet. There's lots of software that's in the queue for release - so maybe some new things will come in soon.

I never really used Montage Connect either because it's not very beneficial to someone who rarely connects the keyboard to a computer. However, I bet it's great for what it does.

Whatever you do, make a full backup of your MODX regardless of what you want to do down the line. You'll have all of your data (including patterns, songs, user waveforms, libraries, user curves, settings, etc) if you make a full backup.

I wonder if the software version of Montage M (ESP) can load backup files, libraries, etc. It'd be cool since I bet a modern PC could absolutely smoke the time (meaning go faster) of the Montage loading the same data. Goes for save as well. They talk about multiple instances of the ESP - wonder if each can have its own configuration (including libraries, user content, etc). I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Posted : 17/10/2023 12:07 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us