Clear all

External Midi Keyboard/Input

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Joe
Topic starter

Hi,

I have an MODX 8. Wondering if I could set up a Performance with 2 patches/'tracks' - 1 Piano + 1 Organ. I want to use the MODX keyboard to play the Piano sound and an external MIDI keyboard to play only the Organ sound (the MODX sound, not any external sound sources). Is that doable? I played around with all the settings/Performance edits with no luck.

thanks
Joe

Posted : 16/05/2022 9:43 am
Bassam
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=116780]Hi,

I have an MODX 8. Wondering if I could set up a Performance with 2 patches/'tracks' - 1 Piano + 1 Organ. I want to use the MODX keyboard to play the Piano sound and an external MIDI keyboard to play only the Organ sound (the MODX sound, not any external sound sources). Is that doable? I played around with all the settings/Performance edits with no luck.

thanks
Joe[/quotePost]

Hey Joe,

Yes, that's easily doable, just tested it, and here is how:

First, check your settings:
Utility => Settings => MIDI I/O:
MIDI IN/OUT: USB
Local Control: ON
Receive: ON

Utility => Settings => Advanced:
MIDI I/O Mode: Multi

Now, set up your performance. For simplicity, select only Single Parts Performances (for now to understand how it works).
Let's say you did it this way:
Part 1: Piano (CFX PopStudioGrand)
Part 2: Organ (Tha Basics)

Make sure Kbd Ctrl is OFF for both (That keyboard icon in each part).

Now Part 1 (Piano) will Receive on MIDI Ch1 and Part 2 Organ will Receive on MIDI Ch2.

Connect your MIDI Keyboard (In my case I connected a M-Audio Oxygen 25 MKIV directly to the USB to Device Port, i.e. No Computer). (Using a Computer and a DAW to route the channels would also work).

Set your MIDI Keyboard to Transmit on a Ch, say Ch1.

Now your MIDI Keyboard will control Part1/Ch1 (Piano) ONLY, while your MODX will control the selected part ONLY, so in this scenario you can select Part 2 (Organ) and play both independantly by 2 keyboards (MIDI = Piano and MODX = Organ).

Hope it helps!

Quick Edit/Update, couple things to add:
- Please note that this is the first time I test such a scenario, because I'm trying to achieve a close enough one, but because I have some familiarity, I felt comfortable replying to help.
- If you want to connect your external MIDI Keyboard directly to the MODX like I did, make sure to check its power rating (according to the MODX Supp Manual, The maximum rated value of the [USB TO DEVICE] is 5V/500mA. Do not connect to USB devices that exceed the rated value, since such devices may cause damage to the instrument.)

Posted : 16/05/2022 2:32 pm
 Joe
Topic starter

wow! thanks indeed for the very detailed response!! will test it out soon!

cheers

Posted : 18/05/2022 12:52 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us