Clear all

FEG/AEG on Long Notes vs Short Notes

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

This is related to another post regarding the Shine On You Crazy Diamond "Brass Lead" sound.

I have set up a Slowish Attack on both Amp and Filter to get that "blown" swell at the Start of each note (Key On?). For the most part this works... long sustained notes. Except there are places in the solo where there are brief, rapid (1/16th or 1/8th note) "descending fills" as the solo transitions.

The problem is, that those "fills" sound like "brips".... staccato, fast tremolo, trill like.... and not "legato"". I find it hard to explain, but I am hoping you get the drift.

I'm sure I read somewhere/sometime that there is a parameter you can set such that each new Key On, does not choke off the previously played note. Which I think is whats happening. It particularly audible in the Filter, which closes off on each new Key On (thus muting the previous note).

FEG Settings
Hold 0/0
Attack 47/118
Decay1 49/118
Decay2 64/89
Release 80/0

FEG Depth +40

AEG
Initial 0
Attack 75/127
Decay1 64/127
Decay2 59/76
Release 44

As ever, I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious.

How can I make those fast fills "heard" as played notes, not "muted" notes?

Thanks

Posted : 06/02/2022 6:42 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I started with Init Normal AWM2 and set Elem1's waveform to 3o3 Saw. Not because I was trying to emulate the song (I wasn't listening) - but just had to throw something up to hear your envelopes.

I set the envelopes according to your settings here. I didn't hear the staccato quite so bad. Keeping part at Poly (not mono) can help. I'm not sure if the part requires mono or poly - but that's what I did.

One thing that could be done is speed up the attack. I didn't hear staccato so much as I hear with fast runs the attack hasn't completed.

Setting AEG attack time to 67 can help that.

I don't know what your filter is but I may have slightly altered the default. LPF24A Cutoff 125. Rest is as default

I then took elem1 and copied to elem2 then adjusted fine (osc/tune) pitch to +1. I set the level of Elem2 to 80 to back off the depth a bit.

I'm not sure I'm sold on decay2 - but I'm not really listening to the tune. That's not related to the plucky nature if that's what you're hearing.

BTW: since Init Normal sets up no velocity sensitivity - these elements both have Amplitude -> Level/Pan menus setting "Level/Vel" to +0 which says no velocity sensitivity. This may or may not be helping this as initial velocity can change how the AEG sounds.

Posted : 06/02/2022 10:01 am

Try these
FEG Settings
Hold 0/0
Attack 47/127
Decay1 44/127
Decay2 64/111
Release 86/0

FEG Depth +43

AEG
Initial 0
Attack 54/127
Decay1 64/127
Decay2 64/121
Release 63

Possible other solutions:
Set the part to mono like a minimoog (found in Part 1 common - General)
Set the AEG/FEG depth/Vel to Zero (this is the default)

Portamento may suit you (part 1 - Common - Pitch). Set time to Zero.

Posted : 06/02/2022 10:12 am
Antony
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks @J @Graham...

tried your suggestions... and didn't experience the same issue.

So you helped me figure it out...

For a start I think I provided the wrong AEG values... they were off a muted element. Sorry for confusion.

The problem (I assume, because I changed everything without remembering to Store) was the AEG.

I had tried to make AEG and FEG "follow" each other... i.e. have similar profiles/decay curves.

The problem was when releasing the key, the AEG was cutting off the note (going straight to the Release).

The FEG, even though a similar shape, was a little slower.

I realise now, the key to that sound is the FEG.... you let the FEG do all the heavy lifting in shaping the note. For all intents and purposes you can just draw the AEG as a long box with maximum height, and let the FEG swell and bloom the note within that Box.

ADSR is still a black art to me, especially when trying to "combine" FEG, AEG and PEG to get the required results.

Thanks again.

Posted : 06/02/2022 12:03 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us