Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Having a BIG issue after MODX Update 2.5 "audio interruption due to usb error is detected"

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Having a BIG issue after MODX Update 2.5 "audio interruption due to usb error is detected"

I am having problems with the USB connection to my PC after the MODX 2.5 update.

When I try to use my MODX8 as an interface (with Studio One and Cubase) I'm having a lot of dropouts, and the driver says: "audio interruption due to usb error is detected"

I have already updated both the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver and the MODX Connect to the latest version. I also tried to go back to a previous version of the driver, or uninstall the MODX Connect. I tried to reinstall the update. None of this solved it.

When the USB is connected to the PC, sometimes the MODX screen freezes when you turn it on.

The synthesizer works well as a MIDI controller, but I can't record anything via USB. I love the update, but is there any way to get back to version 2.0?
It's impossible to play anything with dropups, the sound is too interrupted. When I close the DAW or change the driver to my Focusrite Scarlett I can play the synthesizer again without sound interruption, but obviously I need the USB mode. Please, has this happened to anyone else? Did the upgrade break down my unit?

Note: I also tried to change the USB cable and the port it was plugged into, but it didn't help either.

Attached files

Posted : 08/06/2020 7:44 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry you are experiencing an issue with USB. To begin any troubleshooting you need to provide the type of computer and the operating system you are running. Also helpful would be the version number of the Driver. And any unusual things in your setup (hubs, multiple audio interfaces, etc., etc).

From the Installation Guide:
Noise occurs, or the sound is intermittent or distorted.
• Does your computer satisfy the system requirements?
Refer to “System Requirements for software” in the included Release Notes.

• Is the buffer size setting of the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver set properly?
Noise produced when using audio applications such as DAW software may affect audio recording and/or playback. In most cases, you can solve these problems by adjusting the audio driver buffer size (the size of memory used to temporarily hold data to avoid intermittent playback). While the higher buffer size reduces load to the computer CPU but
produces latency (time lag) during recording/playback, the smaller buffer size may result in noise or the sound cutting off. Make sure to set the buffer size to an appropriate value depending on the performance of your computer, the number of audio/MIDI tracks being recorded/played back on the DAW software, the number of plug-in software, and so on.

• Are any other applications, device drivers, or USB devices (scanners, printers, etc.) running at the same time?
Be sure to quit all applications you are not using.

• Are you playing back a large number of audio tracks?
The number of tracks you can play at the same time will depend on the performance of the computer you are using. You may experience intermittent playback if you exceed your computer’s capabilities.

• Are you recording or playing long continuous sections of audio?
The audio data processing capabilities of your computer will depend on a number of factors including CPU speed and access to external devices.

• Is the network adaptor running?
Disable the suspected network adaptor. Some network adaptors can cause noise.

Posted : 08/06/2020 9:19 pm
Topic starter

Sorry you are experiencing an issue with USB. To begin any troubleshooting you need to provide the type of computer and the operating system you are running. Also helpful would be the version number of the Driver. And any unusual things in your setup (hubs, multiple audio interfaces, etc., etc).

From the Installation Guide:
Noise occurs, or the sound is intermittent or distorted.
• Does your computer satisfy the system requirements?
Refer to “System Requirements for software” in the included Release Notes.

• Is the buffer size setting of the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver set properly?
Noise produced when using audio applications such as DAW software may affect audio recording and/or playback. In most cases, you can solve these problems by adjusting the audio driver buffer size (the size of memory used to temporarily hold data to avoid intermittent playback). While the higher buffer size reduces load to the computer CPU but
produces latency (time lag) during recording/playback, the smaller buffer size may result in noise or the sound cutting off. Make sure to set the buffer size to an appropriate value depending on the performance of your computer, the number of audio/MIDI tracks being recorded/played back on the DAW software, the number of plug-in software, and so on.

• Are any other applications, device drivers, or USB devices (scanners, printers, etc.) running at the same time?
Be sure to quit all applications you are not using.

• Are you playing back a large number of audio tracks?
The number of tracks you can play at the same time will depend on the performance of the computer you are using. You may experience intermittent playback if you exceed your computer’s capabilities.

• Are you recording or playing long continuous sections of audio?
The audio data processing capabilities of your computer will depend on a number of factors including CPU speed and access to external devices.

• Is the network adaptor running?
Disable the suspected network adaptor. Some network adaptors can cause noise.

Thanks for the reply!
Mi PC:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: 32 GB
Video: RTX 2060
Windows 10 / Using Studio One as main daw
I'm using the current version of the driver (Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 2.0.3, the latest release of MODX Connect) All of this began when I updated to the new 2.5 MODX Os.
I'm using Focusrite Scarlet as my main interface, but it never gave me any problems before the 2.5 update. I use MODX as interface when I need to record some synths.
I had already seen those instructions in the manual and checked that everything was fine, unfortunately those instructions didn't help me much. Is it possible to go back to version 2.0 to see if this improves the situation?

Posted : 08/06/2020 9:45 pm
Bad Mister

Yes.

Posted : 08/06/2020 9:52 pm
Topic starter

Yes.

How can I do that if I can't find the MODX OS version 2.0 file anywhere?

Posted : 08/06/2020 10:13 pm
Bad Mister

You’d have to have that previous download.

I really don’t think it has anything to do with the firmware update, frankly. You should just step through your setup and troubleshoot it from scratch. The only thing that the firmware changed as far as the MODX and usb is concerned is Port 2 is now active for MIDI communication (DAW REMOTE).

Posted : 08/06/2020 10:26 pm
 John
Estimable Member

Should you need the previous firmware version I always keep them just in case so if all else fails I could send it to you.

I would look at all other options first though 🙂

Posted : 10/06/2020 6:25 am
 dave
Reputable Member

Hi

I'm having connection problems as well since upgrading to 2.5:

MODX Connect has stopped working since I upgraded to 2.5.

The USB sign turns blue and MODX Connect recognizes I have version 2.5, but will not load performances from the MODX...

I was just downloading from Soundmondo 2 days ago - not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Posted : 10/06/2020 10:40 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Dave - MODX Connect requires update after the firmware update.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/modx-category/introducing-montage-os-v3-5-and-modx-os-v2-5

There are links there for updating MODX Connect.

Posted : 10/06/2020 8:35 pm

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same Issue drivers up to date, OS up to date, MODX firmware up to date.

Now I'm unable to work with my MODX, to record (audio, MIDI) or listenback using the MODX audio interface. Windows drivers need to be updated

W10
20G RAM
i7 processor
NVIDIA Ge Force MX110
SSD Disk

Posted : 14/04/2021 5:39 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

A detectable USB error seems like a pretty serious problem. Chances are if you take a random different PC with the same operating system - but different motherboard - you won't see these errors. I don't see either David or Oscar report their motherboard so I can't research if there was a USB issue and driver/BIOS fix.

Cable would be my first swap - and I see this is already done by Oscar.

If this is a tower PC with USB on the front and back - I'd use a USB on the back. Or one that is directly mounted on the motherboard and not one cabled in.

If these systems have PCI slots - one could always install a PCI board with USB ports. That's pretty drastic - but it would change the USB root/master device and therefore chances are the firmware/driver stack is different.

Not that the problem is with the PC itself - just a possibility that the PC itself isn't updated.

You could also try plugging/unplugging a fresh USB cable into both ends (the keyboard USB TO HOST side and your computer's USB port side). Most cables are meant to be "self cleaning" - so doing this is an attempt to remove oxidation on both ends.

Posted : 14/04/2021 6:30 pm

A detectable USB error seems like a pretty serious problem. Chances are if you take a random different PC with the same operating system - but different motherboard - you won't see these errors. I don't see either David or Oscar report their motherboard so I can't research if there was a USB issue and driver/BIOS fix.

Cable would be my first swap - and I see this is already done by Oscar.

If this is a tower PC with USB on the front and back - I'd use a USB on the back. Or one that is directly mounted on the motherboard and not one cabled in.

If these systems have PCI slots - one could always install a PCI board with USB ports. That's pretty drastic - but it would change the USB root/master device and therefore chances are the firmware/driver stack is different.

Not that the problem is with the PC itself - just a possibility that the PC itself isn't updated.

You could also try plugging/unplugging a fresh USB cable into both ends (the keyboard USB TO HOST side and your computer's USB port side). Most cables are meant to be "self cleaning" - so doing this is an attempt to remove oxidation on both ends.

Hi Jason

I'm using an ASUS laptop my motherboard is an x509FB.

I have tried swaping ports and USB Cables (even bought a new one)
I also tried using the USB 2 & 3 ports even the Type C via USB dongle
Software drivers are up to date
To update my BIOS would be my last option

Posted : 17/04/2021 6:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

@David

Chipset and BIOS files from here:

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/Everyday-use/ASUS-X509/HelpDesk_Download/?model2Name=ASUS-Laptop-15-X509FB

System BIOS Version 303 is latest
Chipset Version V8.7.10200.12510 is latest

I would probably check the others as well.

I know you said drivers are up to date - not sure if that means only what Windows Update automatically covers or if it includes your PC manufacturer supplied ones as well (above link).

I didn't see any references where folks complained about USB in general on your system -- so I don't think there's necessarily a general problem. Asus is a quality manufacturer - so that's good. Although a "low end" laptop - it's listed in some circles as being a good candidate for music work on the cheap. Given the endorsement - I'd think it's fairly "rung out" as working well, in a general sense, with audio interfaces.

Here's an article with lots of related information and strategies to deal with these kinds of problems:

http://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1002

I'm not ignoring that it seems the problem started after the firmware update. Just trying to deal with the usual suspects before implicating the firmware alone.

Posted : 18/04/2021 4:33 am
 John
Estimable Member

Not sure if this is relevant as I don't connect my Montage and MODX to my computer but the big Windows10 update last year played havoc with some (not all) of my USB ports. The only solution I could find was to disable those USB ports in the hardware setup and use the others.

Have these issues coincided with a big update from Windows?

Posted : 18/04/2021 9:25 am
Member Admin

As per John's comment... Windows updates could be the main issue, causing Yamaha to need to update their drivers, which they don't seem to do nearly as often as Windows goes about forcing updates on its users, many of which seem to alter how USB works for some. Ask about printers around people you know, as it pertains to Window's updates, and you'll see the problem is much more widespread than just affecting DAW connectivity.

Example: after a biggish Windows update, daughter's laptop would seemingly juggle track/part connections in her DAW (reaper or cubase, didn't matter which) during her sessions, on a random basis, causing her to need to reconfigure all tracks to their parts.

And no DAW would ever remember its connections. Restart the DAW = reconfigure all tracks to their parts, each time.

After another update, probably about 6 months later, these two issues just disappeared. Never to be seen again.

During yet another smaller Windows update, she lost pretty much all use of MODX with any DAW, until another one of those littler patch updates a month or so later.

Posted : 19/04/2021 2:27 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us