Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Note shift is only +/- 24 - How do I get very high string on the lowest left hand keys?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm trying to make a simple split (performance) with piano on my right hand and some very high strings I want to play with my left hand. But when I edit the parts I can only transpose the strings I have placed in Part 1 + 24 semitones (two octaves). That's not enough.
I'm in Edit-Part1-Common-Note Shift. Is that the right place to be???

Posted : 07/06/2020 8:47 pm

For AWM2 performances, you can edit the coarse tuning of each element (up to +48 semitones) to extend the range even further, allowing you to get up to 24+48=72 semitones (6 octaves). For FM-X parts, you can edit the ratios of each operator (multiplying them all by 2 or 4 for example).

Posted : 07/06/2020 9:18 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You can also octave shift your keyboard up an octave (or two) then also shift your piano down as well. This will bring piano and strings closer and extend the range that "note shift" is able get you when using in combination with octave. This is a case where it would perhaps be nice to have scenes store octave shift so you can make some Performances octave shift and some not. As it stands, octave shift is a global attribute - so you have to remember to change it back and forth on your own.

Posted : 07/06/2020 10:41 pm
Bad Mister

Brian is correct.

The maximum Note Shift offset for a Part is 2 octaves (24 semitones). What you can do is retune the instrument, then the 2 octave Offset will be more than enough for what you require.

In your factory sound set you will find that most instrument sounds are tuned so that “C3” sounds middle “C” (261Hz). But you can change it so C2 (+12), or C1 (+24), or C0 (+36) even C-1 (+48) sounds middle C... you do so by retuning the program at the instrument level. You can determine which key on the standard keyboard triggers the pitch you want. Programming this takes place within the Part, by COARSE tuning the Oscillator you can change which “C” sounds as middle “C” (261Hz).

Then your Part “Note Shift” Offset of 24 semitones should work fine as your octave change... allowing two more octaves of offset.

Select the Part you wish to work with.. touch the Part’s Type/Name box to see the pop-in menu
Tap [EDIT]
If it is an AWM2 Part you will want to tune each of the relevant Oscillators (12 semitones to an octave)
At the bottom of the screen tap ELEM 1 (The active Elements appear in bright blue)
Touch “Osc/Tune” set the Coarse as you require
Repeat for each Element that is used in this instrument sound. If the Element is already Coarse tuned, add 12 from the current setting for each octave you which to re-tune this sound. Coarse = +12 will lower middle C by an octave, pressing C2 will sound C261
What we are doing is repositioning the tuning of this instrument sound.

Now with the Part “NoteShift” offset you will have more than enough for your required octave change.

Posted : 08/06/2020 3:06 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us