Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to Use MODX Connect

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm trying to use MODX Connect with Cubase 11. I want to be able to 1. pull my songs and or Patterns into Cubase from the MODX8. 2. edit the midi data and 3. transfer the edited midi data back into my MODX8. I've managed to accomplish number 1. and number 2. But I can't figure out how to move the edited midi from Cubase back into the MODX8. I've tried using the back and forth arrows under the "Recall" tab. I've tried saving the edited data in Cubase onto my hard drive and then loading that data into MODX Connect and saving. It shows on the MODX8 that it is receiving midi data when I do this but it doesn't change the Pattern or Song on the MODX. I can't imagine this can't be done? I have to be missing something??? Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted : 16/12/2020 9:31 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Which version of MODX connect are you using? It helps to relay the versions of everything used.

Posted : 16/12/2020 10:20 pm
Topic starter

MODX Connect 1.1.0

Posted : 16/12/2020 10:45 pm
Topic starter

MODX* 2.50

Posted : 16/12/2020 10:46 pm
Topic starter

I didn't think to check for new version of MODX Connect after upgrading to Cubase 11. I see there is indeed an update. Installing now

Posted : 16/12/2020 11:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes, I believe you saw where I was going ...

It may or may not help - but it's important to stay on top of updates as this will usually be the first question. Who knows if this impacts what you're trying to do - but MODX Connect does show Cubase 11 support added with the latest v1.1.1 MODX Connect.

Posted : 16/12/2020 11:40 pm
Topic starter

Unfortunately, even after updating MODX Connect to 1.1.1 I still cannot transfer edited midi data for Songs or Patterns from Cubase 11 to my MODX using MODX Connect. No problems getting the Songs and Patterns from the MODX8 to Cubase using MODX Connect, but can't go the other way??

Posted : 17/12/2020 12:23 am
Bad Mister

I still cannot transfer edited midi data for Songs or Patterns from Cubase 11 to my MODX using MODX Connect.

This is because that is not something you do with MODX CONNECT.
To transfer edited MIDI data from Cubase to your MODX:
Click on FILE > EXPORT > MIDI FILE... > set the MIDI FILE EXPORT OPTIONS so you are exporting at 480 clocks per quarter note, Type 0 ... save as a .mid file
Copy this file to a USB stick and then Load to the MODX to a Song or Pattern Scene.

Posted : 17/12/2020 4:18 am
Topic starter

hhhmmmm, so if I'm understanding you what is the advantage of using MODX Connect? Just to move Performance data back and forth from computer to MODX?

Posted : 17/12/2020 4:09 pm
Topic starter

maybe I'm just naive to this but what is the point of being able to move a Song's or Pattern's scenes (midi data) from the MODX into Cubase but not be able to move the scenes (midi data) from Cubase back into the MODX ? Seems a bit pointless to me?? Might as well just record the midi tracks in Cubase, edit them in Cubase and save them to the hard drive. Since you have to put it on a USB stick to move it to the MODX anyway....?

Posted : 17/12/2020 4:13 pm

The main perk of the Connect plugin for me is being able to save my performance with my DAW project, and can load it from the project. If you save a new version of your project you don't have to worry about copying your performance, or accidently overwriting/deleting the wrong one.

The main use for the Connect plugin is with a DAW-centric workflow, so in that case there isn't much need to send things back to the MODX or MONTAGE. As for using the import feature, depending on your workflow/circumstance it might be quicker/easier to jot down an initial idea using the pattern recorder for editing later in your DAW than it is to start your DAW and get everything ready there first.

Posted : 17/12/2020 4:58 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for all the info. I've been bashing my head against the wall trying to figure out how to use MODX Connect in the way I thought it could be used. At this point, I think I'll go back to just using Cubase 11 to do everything and dropping it on a USB stick to load back onto the MODX. I'm not sure how I'll be able to specify different scenes in a particular pattern or song doing it this way?? Maybe that just isn't possible at this point..... Given all this, does anyone know if there is a plugin or software in the works that would indeed be able to load scenes (midi data) into Cubase from the MODX....edit the midi data and then transfer those scenes (midi data) back onto the MODX ?? I use John Melas's MODX Tools to do all of my Performance and Live Set creation and editing which is EXCELLENT stuff for anyone who isn't familiar with his software. I actually emailed him and asked him if Song and Pattern editing would ever be included in his bundle of software. He got back to me and said he hadn't thought about it but thought it was indeed a good idea!! So maybe we'll see something from him soon???? Thanks again for all the info on this thread!! Daryl

Posted : 17/12/2020 5:36 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us