Notifications
Clear all

Import a 16 channel midi file into a performance to play live

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Import multi channel midi file to a performance

Had my MODX 6 a week, and loving it. Learning how to get around it, which is fun but challenging. I've hit a snag trying to set the MODX up for the main reason I bought it, though!

Rather than use the MODX pattern / song sequencer, I prefer to use my DAW (Reaper) to compile songs, using the MODX internal sounds. I have connected my MODX to my DAW via USB. I can play 16 different sounds in a performance onto separate midi tracks in my DAW. These play back just great from within the DAW. I want to take the MODX to gigs and play accompaniments. I'd like to play performances with associated MIDI tracks, having loaded the MIDI sequence data from my DAW. I understand I link a pattern to a performance, and these should work just fine. After completing a song / backing track, whatever you would call16 sounds making up an arrangement in a song, I'm exporting the .MID file from my DAW, loading it up as a pattern in a performance, but only get one MIDI track playing. Can anyone advise what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Posted : 28/01/2022 8:34 pm
Bad Mister

Had my MODX 6 a week, and loving it. Learning how to get around it, which is fun but challenging. I've hit a snag trying to set the MODX up for the main reason I bought it, though!

Rather than use the MODX pattern / song sequencer, I prefer to use my DAW (Reaper) to compile songs, using the MODX internal sounds. I have connected my MODX to my DAW via USB. I can play 16 different sounds in a performance onto separate midi tracks in my DAW. These play back just great from within the DAW. I want to take the MODX to gigs and play accompaniments. I'd like to play performances with associated MIDI tracks, having loaded the MIDI sequence data from my DAW. I understand I link a pattern to a performance, and these should work just fine. After completing a song / backing track, whatever you would call16 sounds making up an arrangement in a song, I'm exporting the .MID file from my DAW, loading it up as a pattern in a performance, but only get one MIDI track playing. Can anyone advise what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Hi George,
Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

If you have setup a Performance in the MODX (presumably you started with the Init "MULTI/GM" template).
Press [STORE], then give this Performance a NAME and tap "Done"
This will place the Performance in your USER Bank

Next, in your DAW you want to export (save) the MIDI data as a .MID File
Save it to a USB stick that you use with your MODX.

You can Load this .MID file to either the MODX MIDI Song sequencer or the Pattern sequencer - it is your choice
The MIDI Song Sequencer will play through your file from Start to Finish and stop when it reaches the end
The Pattern Sequencer will load your entire composition to a SCENE (provided it is 256 measures or less) and when you play it will Loop endlessly from Start to End over and over.

Let's say you Load the .MID to the MODX as a MIDI Song
To do so place the USB stick in the MODX
Press [UTILITY] > "Contents" > "Load" > select CONTENT TYPE = .MID
Find your .MID file and direct it to SONG

Recall your newly named and stored Performance
From the HOME screen, tap "Play/Rec" > "MIDI"
You can create a Link between your Performance and this MIDI data... now anytime you wish to play the SONG, simply tap "Play/Rec" > "MIDI" > dial up the SONG and it will recall the Performance.

Posted : 28/01/2022 11:23 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

You will get a full comprehensive answer soon enough, but in the meantime this sounds like a MIDI Channel issue.

You need 1 MIDI Channel per part, so each DAW Track needs to be on its own MIDI Channel respective to the MODX "Part" it is playing. I think the Default is Part 1 = Ch1 = Pattern Seq Track1, Part 2 = Ch2 = Pattern Seq Track 2 etc.

You also need to know that only 8 Parts on the MODX can be keyboard controlled simultaneously. The remainder must be MIDI controlled. I can't see any reason why Pattern Seq Tracks 9-16 could NOT be used to play those Parts... but just be aware if you run into an invisible 8 Part Limit.

Also... watch out for Polyphony. having 16 Parts all playing together is in danger of exhausting you AWM2 128 and FM-X 64 note polyphony limits.

Posted : 28/01/2022 11:33 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for your prompt responses! Just got the MODX a week ago, and realise from the replies I need to really dig in there and better understand the way it works, that I can ask more informed question with better detail. 🙂 I'll do some shedding over the weekend using what you've given me already (had me going "oops, didn't realise that a few times already!)

cheers

George

Posted : 29/01/2022 11:32 am
Antony
Estimable Member

@ George...

Tip: You will not find any information regarding Pattern Sequencer in the Owner or Reference Manual. You must download the Supplementary Manual (it covers all new features added in OS Version upgrades).

In Pattern Sequencer, hit the Edit Job touchscreen and go to the Overview Tab. A white square in the grid indicates recorded MIDI Data in the Track (vertical axis 1-16) vs Scene (horizontal axis 1-8).

Posted : 29/01/2022 11:50 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

The actual article series is here:
https://yamahasynth.com/learn/modx/mastering-modx-article-series-music-synthesizer

Posted : 29/01/2022 5:19 pm
Topic starter

Hi George,
Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

If you have setup a Performance in the MODX (presumably you started with the Init "MULTI/GM" template).
Press [STORE], then give this Performance a NAME and tap "Done"
This will place the Performance in your USER Bank

Next, in your DAW you want to export (save) the MIDI data as a .MID File
Save it to a USB stick that you use with your MODX.

You can Load this .MID file to either the MODX MIDI Song sequencer or the Pattern sequencer - it is your choice
The MIDI Song Sequencer will play through your file from Start to Finish and stop when it reaches the end
The Pattern Sequencer will load your entire composition to a SCENE (provided it is 256 measures or less) and when you play it will Loop endlessly from Start to End over and over.

Let's say you Load the .MID to the MODX as a MIDI Song
To do so place the USB stick in the MODX
Press [UTILITY] > "Contents" > "Load" > select CONTENT TYPE = .MID
Find your .MID file and direct it to SONG

Recall your newly named and stored Performance
From the HOME screen, tap "Play/Rec" > "MIDI"
You can create a Link between your Performance and this MIDI data... now anytime you wish to play the SONG, simply tap "Play/Rec" > "MIDI" > dial up the SONG and it will recall the Performance.

haha, I'm laughing with the joy and realisation this was actually quite straightforward. Thanks for your crystal clear instructions Sir! And thanks everyone else for other suggestions. I can crack on with learning more about this great synth, and prepare it for gigs. Thanks everyone.

Posted : 29/01/2022 5:51 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us