Notifications
Clear all

John Melas Software not working

24 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I was looking for a method to put a Live Set together more efficiently so I took the advice of others and bought JUST the Live Set portion. I then found out I also needed Total Librarian (would have been nice to have a disclaimer that one won't work without the other). I didn't want to pay the extra money for the Performance Editor because I don't need it.

I've transmitted my sounds to the Total Library, I've Synchronized the Live Set. And that's where the problem begins.

I was under the impression that I could simply drag and drop the sounds from the library to where I wanted in the Live Set. Not s'much. When I do, an entirely different sound appears in the Live Set. Same USER file and number, just an entirely different preset.

Screenshots:
Live Set shows USER 4: 006 is BUDDY
Performance shows USER 4: 006 as BOYZ

I've been in touch with Melas and he suggested:

Go to Menu->Setup->Synchronize->Performance Names.

did that...didn't work...

Alternatively you can send the Performances from USER4 to the synth (right click->Transmit)
so that you see the Performance Names of the Total Library file!

I don't understand why I'd want to do that and 1) risk creating duplicate files. 2) Seems like contrary to what I'm trying to do and 3) not all of my files are in USR4.

What am I missing? 🙁 🙁 🙁

Attached files

Posted : 24/05/2021 12:23 am
Trusted Member

Maybe deal with John directly ?

Posted : 24/05/2021 7:42 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Maybe deal with John directly ?

I've been in touch with Melas and he suggested:

Posted : 24/05/2021 11:37 am
Bad Mister

***I don't understand why I'd want to do that and 1) risk creating duplicate files. 2) Seems like contrary to what I'm trying to do and 3) not all of my files are in USR4.

What am I missing? 🙁 🙁 🙁

Apparently, you are missing a piece of how it works.

1) This will NOT create duplicate files. The fact that you think it will is in error.

2) What it “seems like” and actual reality are two different things. See below.

3) so? This is of no consequence. A Live Set slot can recall any type of Performance - from the instrument.

When you create a USER Performance either by storing it as a new performance or by overwriting an existing User Performance, it is stored in one of 640 User Bank locations. There are some 2227 Factory Performances, and some 5120 possible Library Performances.

A Live Set is not a duplicate, it is establishing a forwarding address. When you put a Performance, any Performance, be it a Factory Performance, a Library Performance or one of your 640 User Performances into a Live Set, you are not duplicating it, you are establishing a “forwarding address”.

One that when *selected* will forward the recall to the actual location. No data is duplicated. That is what you are missing. The Live Set is a screen that ‘forwards’ the recall request to appropriate location where the Performance actually exists.

If you were to create a User Performance or a Library Performance... to link it with a User Live Set, you would hold [SHIFT] + [LIVE SET] and tap a User Live Set slot to create this ‘forwarding address’. When you tap this Live Set slot it will go and get the Performance

If you were to then overwrite or if you were to DELETE the User or Library Performance in its HOME location, you would find your LIVE SET slot would report the Performance is “NOT FOUND”.

Again, the Live Set is forwarding your call to the actual HOME address of the Performance... remove the data at the original HOME address your Live Set slot becomes meaningless. (It is not a duplicate, it is not a duplicate, repeat after me... “the Live Set slot is not a duplicate!!”

Hope that helps!

Posted : 24/05/2021 3:25 pm
Member Admin

BadMister, how would Carol transfer ONE performance to her MODX, from Melas software, AND set it to her chosen Live Sets slot, without transferring everything from the Melas Library's definition of USER4 to the MODX's User4?

Posted : 24/05/2021 3:36 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister, I am aware of how Live Sets work. Perhaps I didn't explain my question properly. Andrew is asking the same question I am.

Posted : 24/05/2021 6:34 pm
Bad Mister

You can bulk a Performance from the Editor to the EDIT BUFFER of the hardware MODX... you do so by right clicking on the Performance listing in the Editor > select “Send to Edit Buffer”
Next, on the MODX, you must press [STORE] to STORE that Performance from the Edit Buffer to the MODX internal User Bank (either as a new Performance or overwriting an existing Performance).
Next, from that Performance’s HOME screen, hold [SHIFT] + [LIVE SET]
This allows you to place a “forwarding address” link in the User LIVE SET area

There are 8 User Live Set Banks, 1-8. Each contains 256 slots (16 Pages of 16 slots).

Posted : 24/05/2021 8:44 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

You can bulk a Performance from the Editor to the EDIT BUFFER of the hardware MODX... you do so by right clicking on the Performance listing in the Editor > select “Send to Edit Buffer”
Next, on the MODX, you must press [STORE] to STORE that Performance from the Edit Buffer to the MODX internal User Bank (either as a new Performance or overwriting an existing Performance).

There are 8 User Live Set Banks, 1-8. Each contains 256 slots (16 Pages of 16 slots).

When you say Editor, do you mean the John Melas Editor? Because if I had known I was supposed to buy all three just to get this done, I would have taken advantage of the bundle.

Posted : 24/05/2021 9:22 pm
Bad Mister

Your screenshot show the Total Librarian Performance listing I’m referring to, ... unless those are not your screenshots...

The cursor is highlighting a Performance named “Boyz”
right click on the Performance listing “Boyz” in the Editor > select “Send to Edit Buffer”

Posted : 24/05/2021 9:54 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Your screenshot show the Performance Editor listing I’m referring to, ... unless those are not your screenshots...

The cursor is highlighting a Performance named “Boyz”
right click on the Performance listing “Boyz” in the Editor > select “Send to Edit Buffer”

I think technology and I don't get along.

In the LIVE SET EDITOR I right clicked. It did not give me the option to "Send to Edit Buffer". When in TOTAL LIBRARY I right clicked, it gave me the option to "Send to Edit Buffer" HOWEVER, I have to save the performance and if I'm not very very very careful, it will create a duplicate.

But if I can get all the programs that I want into the LIVE SET, then it will be one step closer to doing what I want it to do. And we've now "circled back" to my original problem. See first part of thread. (insert forehead slap here)

Posted : 24/05/2021 11:27 pm
Bad Mister

The description is very clear: my emphasis added (underline). It is not clear to me (still) exactly what it is you’re attempting, so forgive me if my answers are not helping you. But it is clear from your worry about duplicating something that makes it clear to me, at least, you may not be understanding how LIVE SETs actually work.

Basic features are:
Full Live Set parameter editing in a compact, intuitive user interface.
Supports quick Live Set setup from contiguous Performances.
Supports drag and drop of Performances from Total Librarian!
Supports Live Set insertion between existing ones!
Supports Live Set copy/paste/swap.
Loads and saves Live Sets to files.
Reads Live Set Names directly from the synthesizer.
Records and plays back phrases for audition purposes!

If you have understood any of my instructions about Live Sets and how it DOES NOT make a duplicate, then this should help you understand what the Editor allows you to do.

I would first exhaust the possibilities built-in to the instrument’s current firmware BEFORE I sought to find a “more efficient” way to manage the Live Sets. There are 8 Banks of User Live Sets... this offers you get flexibility.

I would highly recommend the entire suite of Editors if you are truly looking for efficiency. And I highly recommend thoroughly understanding the front panel manipulation of Live Set data and Performance HOME locations right along with learning the Editors.

Posted : 25/05/2021 12:57 am
Member Admin

Hey Carol, Bad Mister has said the wrong name. He means "right click on the Boyz preset in the TOTAL LIBRARIAN", not the 'editor'.

Hopefully (and I know more than enough about computers to know that hope and faith is part of using them), you'll be able to right click on Boyz in the Total Librarian list and choose the VERY poorly named "Send to Edit Buffer" option (which is actually "load and make active on MODX") where you can then immediately play it with the keyboard, and save it with any name you like, anywhere you like on your MODX.

Does this make sense?

Does it work?

Posted : 25/05/2021 4:17 am
Member Admin

Also, it's about time Yamaha realised it's not good at hiring and controlling their outsourced devs, and instead sent a bucket of money to John Melas, and let him incorporate his tools as free downloads for all MODX and Montage users.

Posted : 25/05/2021 4:21 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

The description is very clear: my emphasis added (underline). It is not clear to me (still) exactly what it is you’re attempting, so forgive me if my answers are not helping you. But it is clear from your worry about duplicating something that makes it clear to me, at least, you may not be understanding how LIVE SETs actually work.

Basic features are:
Full Live Set parameter editing in a compact, intuitive user interface.
Supports quick Live Set setup from contiguous Performances.
Supports drag and drop of Performances from Total Librarian!
Supports Live Set insertion between existing ones!
Supports Live Set copy/paste/swap.
Loads and saves Live Sets to files.
Reads Live Set Names directly from the synthesizer.
Records and plays back phrases for audition purposes!

If you have understood any of my instructions about Live Sets and how it DOES NOT make a duplicate, then this should help you understand what the Editor allows you to do.

I would first exhaust the possibilities built-in to the instrument’s current firmware BEFORE I sought to find a “more efficient” way to manage the Live Sets. There are 8 Banks of User Live Sets... this offers you get flexibility.

I would highly recommend the entire suite of Editors if you are truly looking for efficiency. And I highly recommend thoroughly understanding the front panel manipulation of Live Set data and Performance HOME locations right along with learning the Editors.

Badmister: I AM AWARE ON HOW LIVE SETS WORKS. You're just not understanding the problem...there appear to be some disconnect in our conversation. As Andrew explained, the only way to Send to Edit Buffer is through the Total Librarian. As I explained before, YES, I can save the project there, but simply SAVING will not allow me to overwrite an existing USER patch. I have to save it as new...thereby creating a duplicate. If I take the very same preset "BOYZ" send it to the "edit buffer", I HAVE to save it, but it will only save it as a NEW USER PATCH...ERGO...DUPLICATE.

Reminder: I don't have the Performance Editor.

And I totally agree with you, Andrew, about Yamaha.

Posted : 25/05/2021 1:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

VERY poorly named "Send to Edit Buffer" option

The name chosen by J. Melas is based on standard terminology that is documented in the manuals. The name is correct because it identifies what Yamaha calls this memory store. Maybe the name could be revised on Yamaha's side - but Melas has named this the best thing -- the agreed upon name that Yamaha docs use.

Source: Reference Manual

Right below this image is the description:

Edit buffer
The edit buffer is the memory location for edited data of these types: Performance, Live Set, and Song.
Although the edit buffer is designed specifically for data writing and data reading, the data contained in
the edit buffer is lost when the power is turned off. You should always store edited data to User memory
before editing new performance or before turning off the power. Data other than Performance and Motion
Sequence are automatically stored.

The next area describes how user memory relates to the edit buffer - requiring a [STORE] to save all of the data in the edit buffer to the user area which is not lost when powering down.

I recognize this doesn't help the core issue - but I wanted to clear up a possible misconception.

Posted : 25/05/2021 1:52 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us