Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

My touch pad is out of calibration by 2 inches

15 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I was using the touch pad yesterday and could not figure out what was happening. I cannot recalibrate as the little white box is in the corner and I have to be about 2" higher than it to trigger it. Has anyone else had this problem or know a fix?

Thanks,
James

Posted : 23/05/2021 4:32 pm
Bad Mister

Are you saying you cannot get to the calibrate screen, or that the calibrate screen is not recalibrating your screen?

You can get to the calibrate screen using buttons:
Press [UTILITY] + [PART SELECT_MUTE/SOLO]
Then press [ENTER]

Now calibrate your screen by touching the white pixel.

Posted : 23/05/2021 10:11 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for writing. Sorry for not being clear. Where the screen thinks I am touching it, and where i am actually touching it, is a 2 inch difference straight above. I can activate the button to calibrate by using the scroll up buttons. But once the little white dot appears, I would have to touch the screen about 2 inches above it to trigger the white dot. The issue is that the white dot is only about a half inch below the top of the screen. So there is no way for me to get even get close to hit that button. Somehow during use, my screen got of by 2 inches. If I am on the main catagory screen, and i hit the top row of presets, it selects the very bottom row. I actually have to press above the top row to pick on on the bottom row. Basically my touch pad is way off thinking I am touching 2 inches below where I actually am.

Posted : 24/05/2021 12:19 am
Bad Mister

But once the little white dot appears, I would have to touch the screen about 2 inches above it to trigger the white dot.

Once the calibration is launched, you are supposed to touch the white dot. Why are you trying to touch two inches above it? I don’t understand. Don’t do that.

Simply touch the white dot, where it appears.
Chase it (4 or 5 times) each time touch the white pixel, until the calibration is complete.

Posted : 24/05/2021 1:10 am
Topic starter

I get that you are supposed to hit the white dot. I am hitting the white dot. It does not register me hitting the dot, that is the problem. If you look at the photo attached, you can see that my finger is hitting the "Ocean Pad" but look at where the red light is (Just above the F in CFX) showing below my finger. The touch screen thinks that I am touching where that red dot or red light is. But that is not obviously where I am touching.The problem is the alignment is not just a little off from where I am touching, it's WAY off from where I am touching. No matter where I touch the screen, the screen thinks I am touching it below that, by about 2 inches. I think it has to go to a service center. I just bought it 3 weeks ago at a Guitar Center.

Attached files

Posted : 24/05/2021 10:58 am
Bad Mister

That is, again, the wrong screen!

Hold [SHIFT] + [PART SELECT_MUTE/SOLO]
Press [ENTER]

This is the screen!
Touch the white pixel.

Posted : 24/05/2021 3:48 pm
Topic starter

I don't think you understand. I know that is not the right screen. I am only using that screen to show you how far off the touch pad is. There is no red dot to appear on the calibrate screen, only on the main screen, so I can't send a picture of the calibrate screen, it would just be me and my finger on the white dot, but no red dot showing up. I appreciate your help and I know this is frustrating for both of us. I don't think at this point I can write any more to describe the problem and I don't want you to waist any more time on it. I have called a service center in NY and I am just going to have to bring it there. It's not as simple as you think it is with just touching the white dot.

Posted : 24/05/2021 4:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I would first try to "walk up" the calibration so I can eventually press the dots presented on the screen. I don't know how to force this - but I would try pressing in the wrong place (in the vertical) for even the upper dots that can be pressed. Maybe pressing lower on the screen for these. Trying different things to see if I can move the relationship of the finger and the red dot closer during normal use.

Enough repeats of the calibration by doing this sort of thing may work the system closer to registering the correct spot and eventually allow for getting accurate results.

I'm not sure - but perhaps a full factory initialization would "blow away" the calibration. If that's true - then maybe a factory initialization would help fix the problem as well. It may not be true - I'm not sure if screen calibration is something reset or not. And, even if it is, it may not help.

Before doing an initialization you should backup all data unless you do not mind losing everything.

Posted : 24/05/2021 5:05 pm
Topic starter

Hey Jason, thanks for jumping in. I have tried two different factory resets, one where you do it while its on, and one where you turn the machine off and hole the furthers right white key down while you start it back up. Neither of them worked. It seems like the calibration is not really effected by a reset as it have tried each way about 5 times. Being that the synth is so new, i dont have any custom presets to lose. I have tired to press every part of the screen in the white dot alignment page. I have even dragged my finger across the screen in rows. I have never taken any thing i have owned in 24 years to a repair shop but this may be the one time. I am going to read over what you wrote and make sure I am following what your suggestion is to be sure that ive tried it as you mention.

Posted : 24/05/2021 6:04 pm
Topic starter

Jason, you are a genius. So what I did is i actually used both fingers and hit the screen at the same time in two different places. This seemed to confuse the red dot, it would seem to go below one or the other finger but then it went right under one finger. I did notice that each time i was doing both fingers at the same time, the red dot was moving closer to one of the fingers. I quickly got into the calibration page and it was almost exactly on the first white dot. The second white dot was not responding for about 2 minutes. No matter where i pressed close or far, it would not respond. I used my finger nail to get as close to the top of the screen as possible and that did it. The rest went just fine. I write all this for the next person who comes along who may have this problem, this was what worked for me. I don' think this is a perminant fix as it will probably go out periodically, but it at least is a way to keep using the machine in the mean time. Thanks Jason and Bad Mister for all your help.

Posted : 24/05/2021 6:13 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

We don't really know the history of the keyboard before you unboxed it - so it's possible someone improperly set the calibration by touching the wrong spots and caused the problem. That's one theory. I'm not sure that I've heard that touchscreens in the studio get out of calibration. Even my keyboard (not a MODX, but the screen is "the same" ) - goes out on the road in the elements with outside and indoor gigs - stays in my car sometimes - etc. It hasn't needed a calibration.

There may be unit-to-unit variation. I would think now that the screen is calibrated - even if it does "go out" - it won't be so far out that you cannot use a more normalized calibration.

Another theory is that there are factory escapes from time to time. I would think the screen calibration is a manual step. You can see there is a way to "trick" the routine into nudging the right values even when you start so far out that normal calibration techniques fail.

If I were in your shoes - I would scrutinize for maybe another week - but still feel pretty good about the screen in general and believe that now I've "fixed" it.

Posted : 24/05/2021 7:05 pm
Topic starter

It was the floor model and the only one left. So my guess is every kid in the world in Guitar Center pounded every part of it. It worked fine in the store, I couldnt see anything wrong at all. It played fine for about 2 weeks and then there were some keys that would have no note every so often. Then that went away. Then it was the calibration. So I have a feeling that its going to continue to be wacky, but knowing that i can be made right again possibly is relieving. How do you give you kudos or points on here for helping? I can't find a "answered - problem solved" button.

Posted : 24/05/2021 9:31 pm

James: glad you got the problem fixed. I had a similar problem last winter with touch screen calibration: the upper two dots responded to calibration but the lower right dot didn't respond at all and there's no way out of the calibration routine except to shut the keyboard down. The problem went away if I put the MODX out in the cold weather for a few minutes and finally "magically" went away for a while but now it's back. The screen was fine last night but this morning is off by a bit again: not by 2" but if I want to access a screen "button"I have to press the one (or spot) below it. Calibration screen again responds to the top two dots but hangs on the lower right dot however long I press it. I'll try Jason's suggestion and see if it works on my board. (And this MODX was not a demo unit as far as I know and has been set up in the same location for 3 months).

EDIT: sorry, I just reread the solution James found: pressing on the touch panel with two fingers simultaneously at two different points. I just tried that after the calibration screen hung for the 4th time this morning and using a two finger simultaneous press (on a screen other than the calibration screen) seems to confuse the screen controller enough to allow the calibration screen to function normally afterwards.

Posted : 27/05/2021 6:17 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't need anything in return. Glad it's working for you.

Posted : 27/05/2021 8:39 pm

Thanks Jason. Your suggestion helped solve the problem for both James and me.

Posted : 27/05/2021 9:57 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us