Notifications
Clear all

Midi program change not working

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi everybody.
It's just a week i got a MODX 7, 2.0, and i trying to change performance, or sound by midi, with no result.
I attached a little midi interface to midi in and out, and i can see note on and off, controls change (pedal, knobs etc) but no bank or performance or live set change, in input or in output from or to MODX.
The midi i/o is set to MIDI, the advance parameters has bank select and pgm change ON, but nothin happens.
Anybody has an idea about what i'm a doing wrong?
Thanks in advance

Posted : 22/05/2021 1:14 pm
Bad Mister

Hi everybody.
It's just a week i got a MODX 7, 2.0, and i trying to change performance, or sound by midi, with no result.
I attached a little midi interface to midi in and out, and i can see note on and off, controls change (pedal, knobs etc) but no bank or performance or live set change, in input or in output from or to MODX.
The midi i/o is set to MIDI, the advance parameters has bank select and pgm change ON, but nothin happens.
Anybody has an idea about what i'm a doing wrong?
Thanks in advance

Hi Franco,

Welcome to YamahaSynth!
In order to have your MODX respond via MIDI, you must send both a Bank Select and Program Change message corresponding to the Performance you wish to recall.

The MODX can respond by changing the entire Performance or when using the appropriate Bank Select, you can address any one individual Part within a Performance.

What this means is, if you wanted to change the entire Performance program, you would send its specific Bank Select (MSB/LSB) and Program Change, on any MIDI Channel 1-8. The MODX Keyboard Control Performance can occupy 8 Parts simultaneously—one Part per each of the first eight Part slots. (The first 8 Part slots can be linked for simultaneous control via the MODX Keys, each of those Part using its own MIDI Channel, but linked to behave as one program).

If, however, you want to use the MODX as a 16 Part Multi-timbral Tone Engine, where each Part is autonomous, you can send a specific BankSelect (MSB/LSB) and Program Change on a specific MIDI Channel, 1-16.

__ You are looking to change the entire Performance, you can lookup its Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change number as follows:
From the HOME screen:
Tap the “Performance Name” box.
A pop-in menu appears
Tap “Property”
The information concerning the current Performance appears.

Recall the Performance “CFX Concert” - this is a 4-Part Acoustic Piano (4 KBD CTRL Parts)
MSB 64
LSB 0
Program Ch Number* 003

* — the program numbers per Bank are listed 001 thru 128
Check with your device... it may use 000-127 (in which case, subtract 1 from the value in the screen).

64/0/002

Additional Note:
You should update your MODX (New Features have been added)
New features;
_ New Performances have been added.
_ The Smart Morph function has been added.
_ New functions have been added to the Pattern Sequencer.
_ The DAW Remote function has been added.
_ Controllability and playability have been improved.

— Latest firmware version for MODX is 2.52.x
Available from the Official Yamaha MODX Download page:

Link — Official Yamaha MODX Download Page

Posted : 22/05/2021 6:03 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It's also worth mentioning that each Part can disable the receive switches for Program Change (PC) and Bank Select (MSB/LSB).

First, edit the Part, then "Mod/Control" -> "Receive SW" menu. At the top left - the first two buttons should be green and ON.

In addition, there are global settings which apply to not only a single Part - but the entire instrument.

[UTILITY] "Settings" -> "Advanced" menus. The "Bank Select" enables/disables MSB/LSB (transmit AND receive) for the entire instrument and "Pgm Change" enables/disables PC (transmit AND receive) for the entire instrument.

Check the global settings under the [UTILITY] area first to ensure these are ON.

Posted : 22/05/2021 10:23 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us