Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

John Melas Software not working

24 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin

A frying pan is named a frying pan because that's what is done within the frying pan and is best descriptive with least room for errors in interpretation, representation and recognition.

It is not called, by its users, a "temperature responsive circular lipped dish with handle" despite that being somewhat true of what it is.

And adding eggs to a frying pan is not talked about in terms of "Egg Content Dispersion via Shell Structural Integrity Compromise", despite this being a valid description of some aspects of what occurs.

Using words well for end users solves problems at the scale of the user count multiplied by the joy of their output as experienced by their users/listeners/diners compounded by their influence on others.

It's a very real example of the Butterfly Effect.

Getting naming right counts!

Posted : 25/05/2021 6:35 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Ok - I understand. Your issue is not so much with the option naming - but with Yamaha's original naming. There's a difference. The option is fine - but the request is for Yamaha to use less technical terms (as is their nature) which tend to be confusing.

Melas is in the clear since it would be even more confusing to call an established feature - with definitions to look up in manuals - by some other made-up name that may "sound" less confusing -- but nonetheless be even another name to associate and learn.

Hope at least the definition here has helped clear up something. I'm glad it was easy to find with a search in the docs.

Posted : 25/05/2021 6:51 pm
Bad Mister

As I explained before, YES, I can save the project there, but simply SAVING will not allow me to overwrite an existing USER patch. I have to save it as new...thereby creating a duplicate. If I take the very same preset "BOYZ" send it to the "edit buffer", I HAVE to save it, but it will only save it as a NEW USER PATCH...ERGO...DUPLICATE.

Wrong again. Repeat after me: no duplicate.

Let’s try again, as I explained before, when you take the very same User Performance “Boyz” and send it from the computer to the “Edit Buffer” of the MODX, you HAVE two options when you press [STORE]
1) STORE it as “New Performance”
OR
2) Overwrite an existing User Performance

You would do the first, if the Performance is not yet in your internal User Bank. If you proceed with that option it would be BECAUSE you wanted to make a duplicate. You DON’T so take option #2

If you are observant when you press [STORE] you will also see all the current User Bank Performances in your instrument’s internal memory listed directly below that New Performance option box. Each of your current User Performances are listed... you can view them alphabetically or reverse, or in the order you created them or reverse.

The white cursor highlight sits initially on ‘New Performance’ option, below that are all of your current User Performances.
If you tap the box labeled “Boyz” you will be asked if you wish to OVERWRITE that Performance. Do so!

Thus eliminating the possibility of creating a second Performance with that same name.

Back to the LIVE SET listing ....
Now, the no duplicate I was talking about is the listing in the LIVE SET grid. This is NOT an actual Performance. It is like a clickable icon on your computer’s desktop... it’s a shortcut link, it takes you to the actual program. It’s a link, not a Performance.

Take your time, you’re still a little bit confused.

“Edit Buffer” is not (or should not be) a foreign term and if it is then add it to your working vocabulary. With computer based devices most often you are working in an “Edit Buffer”. The original data remains, unchanged, until you make a decision to STORE or abandon the data.

Extra Credit: Correct MODX terminology
The term “SAVE” is the act of writing a File to a storage media
While “STORE” is the act of writing a Performance program to internal memory

Posted : 25/05/2021 8:47 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

As I explained before, YES, I can save the project there, but simply SAVING will not allow me to overwrite an existing USER patch. I have to save it as new...thereby creating a duplicate. If I take the very same preset "BOYZ" send it to the "edit buffer", I HAVE to save it, but it will only save it as a NEW USER PATCH...ERGO...DUPLICATE.

Wrong again. Repeat after me: no duplicate.

Let’s try again, as I explained before, when you take the very same User Performance “Boyz” and send it from the computer to the “Edit Buffer” of the MODX, you HAVE two options when you press [STORE]
1) STORE it as “New Performance”
OR
2) Overwrite an existing User Performance

You would do the first, if the Performance is not yet in your internal User Bank. If you proceed with that option it would be BECAUSE you wanted to make a duplicate. You DON’T so take option #2

If you are observant when you press [STORE] you will also see all the current User Bank Performances in your instrument’s internal memory listed directly below that New Performance option box. Each of your current User Performances are listed... you can view them alphabetically or reverse, or in the order you created them or reverse.

The white cursor highlight sits initially on ‘New Performance’ option, below that are all of your current User Performances.
If you tap the box labeled “Boyz” you will be asked if you wish to OVERWRITE that Performance. Do so!

Thus eliminating the possibility of creating a second Performance with that same name.

Back to the LIVE SET listing ....
Now, the no duplicate I was talking about is the listing in the LIVE SET grid. This is NOT an actual Performance. It is like a clickable icon on your computer’s desktop... it’s a shortcut link, it takes you to the actual program. It’s a link, not a Performance.

Take your time, you’re still a little bit confused.

“Edit Buffer” is not (or should not be) a foreign term and if it is then add it to your working vocabulary. With computer based devices most often you are working in an “Edit Buffer”. The original data remains, unchanged, until you make a decision to STORE or abandon the data.

Extra Credit: Correct MODX terminology
The term “SAVE” is the act of writing a File to a storage media
While “STORE” is the act of writing a Performance program to internal memory

NO it is NOT giving me the option to overwrite or save as NEW. It simply is not. I've had this keyboard for a little while now, I've saved and as NEW or Overwrite on several occasions. I know the difference.

and OMG I know how LIVE SET WORKS!

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll figure out something else.

Posted : 25/05/2021 11:19 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sorry I can't help more directly as I do not have the JM software.

Posted : 26/05/2021 12:18 am
Bad Mister

NO it is NOT giving me the option to overwrite or save as NEW. It simply is not. I've had this keyboard for a little while now, I've saved and as NEW or Overwrite on several occasions. I know the difference.

I’m sure you think you know. But what if I told you this is different.

Normally, you see two quick options listed in the first and second slots
"Store as New Performance"
"Overwrite Current Performance"

And you tap one or the other. That is what you are probably used to doing. You will notice these are followed by the entire listing of your current User Bank - so your third option is to select any of the existing Performances to Overwrite...

What I’m trying to tell you is.... The options appearing are a little different because you are bulking a Performance from the computer to the Edit Buffer.
Only the one quick option appears: "Store as New Performance" .

Followed by your entire listing of current User Bank Performances and the ability to select which one you would like to replace.
Find "Boyz" and tap it --- or highlight it

when you tap it or highlight it and then press [ENTER] this will Overwrite that User location (avoiding any Duplicate)

Posted : 26/05/2021 1:40 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I’m sure you think you know. But what if I told you this is different.

Normally, you see two quick options listed in the first and second slots
"Store as New Performance"
"Overwrite Current Performance"

And you tap one or the other. That is what you are probably used to doing. You will notice these are followed by the entire listing of your current User Bank - so your third option is to select any of the existing Performances to Overwrite...

What I’m trying to tell you is.... The options appearing are a little different because you are bulking a Performance from the computer to the Edit Buffer.
Only the one quick option appears: "Store as New Performance" .

Followed by your entire listing of current User Bank Performances and the ability to select which one you would like to replace.
Find "Boyz" and tap it --- or highlight it

when you tap it or highlight it and then press [ENTER] this will Overwrite that User location (avoiding any Duplicate)

Yes, I'm also aware of that. That's what I mean't by having to be "very very careful so I don't duplicate". I have to through my entire listing to find it, then overwrite it. It's a daunting exercise to have to do it that way especially since I thought I was "dumping" it into the software, only to have to "dump" it back into my synth just for it to recognize the order.

Posted : 28/05/2021 10:00 pm
Bad Mister

I have to through my entire listing to find it, then overwrite it.

Hopefully, as you get to work with the synth a bit more little things like this will stop stumping you.

Here’s what I mean: you can typically sort the listing of your internal User Performances.
Tap “Name” to view the Performances alphabetically, Tap it again to reverse the alphabet.
Tap “Date” to view your User Bank Performances in the order you added them. Tap it again to reverse the order. Since this is in all likelihood the most recently Stored Performance, you should be able to bring it forward immediately.

Creating unique Names for your Performances is important for identification... particularly, if you are doing some editing in the computer. Editing in the computer and saving it in the computer — does not necessarily store it in the synth. Learn how to ensure ‘synchronicity’.

When you bulk an individual program data from an external device this will transfer the data from the computer/laptop/tablet/smartphone to the synthesizers EDIT BUFFER, not directly into the internal memory. This allows you to choose where it will go, what gets overwritten, it allows you to make further changes, even change the Name if you so desire... all before writing it to the synth’s internal UserBank.

When you work with a computer program, like the Melas Tools, you generally are working completely offline... *you* are responsible to synchronize software and hardware.
When you work on the synth via its interface, you are working completely in the hardware... *you* are responsible to synchronize hardware and software.

Hope that helps..

Posted : 30/05/2021 10:55 am
Member Admin

It's possible to be correct without being right, just as it's possible to be right without being correct.

Belabouring either a point of correctness or a state of rightness is always wrong.

Carol has asked for help, not threatened to destroy the brand of Yamaha based on the labelling within its software and its need for an external manager of user, custom and builtin preset collation and curation.

BadMister, you might need to change your name to GoodMister in the hope it subconsciously helps you learn when to be less pedantically semantically concerned and more focused on a user's joy, insights and understandings.

You're right. Some of what you've written is even correct.

But you've been wrong from your first interaction with Carol, and only doubled down from there.

This isn't the first time, it's becoming a habit. Your sock puppet does it, too.

It shouldn't be this hard to find common ground, and it is always upon you to find that common ground. Your passive aggressive and directly aggressive disdain and 'corrections' of Carol are like nothing I've ever seen from an experienced member of a professional organisation's support staff, and set a new benchmark for your manners with others.

Check yourself!

Posted : 31/05/2021 1:57 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us