Notifications
Clear all

Modx 6 reboot

14 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Won't start after attempting update.
All it does is super knob a steady blue.
Any way to force reboot

Posted : 25/04/2020 8:45 am
Bad Mister

First let me say sorry you are having this trouble. I need to ask, what “does after attempting update“ mean. Did you update the unit successfully. The screen gives a running report of its progress during the update process — the Super Knob appears red during the process. And announces either that it is “Completed. Please Reboot.” Or that it has failed “N/G”...

Very important do not interrupt the updater during its process. If you did let us know. If it completed the update process, and you are attempting the instructed reboot, let us know.

Posted : 25/04/2020 9:16 am
Topic starter

First let me say sorry you are having this trouble. I need to ask, what “does after attempting update“ mean. Did you update the unit successfully. The screen gives a running report of its progress during the update process — the Super Knob appears red during the process. And announces either that it is “Completed. Please Reboot.” Or that it has failed “N/G”...

Very important do not interrupt the updater during its process. If you did let us know. If it completed the update process, and you are attempting the instructed reboot, let us know.

I was attempting the update at the end it came back with an NG message It asked to retry by pushing the INC/yes button did that.. It immediately came up the same message I waited an hour for something to happen In the meanwhile had reloaded the PDF file on a pressed Flash drive then cut it off and tried to start again . After pushing power up button got steady blue knob and nothing

Posted : 25/04/2020 3:13 pm
Bad Mister

You have to hold [UTILITY] + [UP CURSOR] while turning the unit On. Hold until you see the updater message that says it is searching for updater file.

What is the exact name of the updater file? (use your computer to view the file name).

The updater file must be in the root directory of a USB stick that you know works with your MODX. NEVER shut the unit off while it is doing the update.

Posted : 25/04/2020 8:22 pm
Topic starter

You have to hold [UTILITY] + [UP CURSOR] while turning the unit On. Hold until you see the updater message that says it is searching for updater file.

What is the exact name of the updater file? (use your computer to view the file name).

The updater file must be in the root directory of a USB stick that you know works with your MODX. NEVER shut the unit off while it is doing the update.

I did that and it never The display never comes up Nothing comes up No display whatsoever Is there a way to return to original settings Or is there a way to download the entire operating system So that it has a place to boot from. At this point I'm not concerned with the update as much as having my machine operating

Posted : 25/04/2020 10:12 pm
Topic starter

Let me 1st say that I appreciate any and all help

Posted : 25/04/2020 10:13 pm
Topic starter

I don't know if a call is at all possible I waited all day Friday for a tech to call me back after waiting on the phone for 2 hours To get threw only to have them tell me that they were gonna have a Tech to call me

Posted : 25/04/2020 10:17 pm
Bad Mister

Again, please: What is the exact name of the updater file? use your computer to view the file name. I am asking for a reason...

Posted : 26/04/2020 1:17 am
Topic starter

modx200.zip
8Q86OS_.PGM file is what I put on flash drive
Verbatim usb 2.0 drive

Posted : 26/04/2020 1:23 pm
Bad Mister

Thank you. Please check to make sure your Verbatim 2.0 USB Drive does NOT include password or copy protection — as this can interfere with its use in updating and generally storing and retrieving data from your synth. While your computer can run the software needed to decode the protection, unfortunately your synth cannot.

The file name is correct (we have seen people who attempt to keep multiple versions of the updater on a single USB drive — when you add a second or third file with the same name, instead of *replacing* computers will offer an option to *add* it and what it does then is rename the file by adding characters, a number “2”, or a “(2)”, or “-2” all of which will cause it not to work as an updater file.

USB drive Copy Protection is another, no-no, and can prevent the updater from running. This is why we recommend you use a drive you know works with your instruments. If you were able to write to and read from that USB stick with your synthesizer, then it will work for the update. I see Blake has posted a link to Customer Support, that is now your best option, if you’re sure about the above issues.

Given the worldwide situation, I don’t think 2 hours is a long time (unfortunately, new reality) they are working from home, like most of us, which means the normal process of getting back to customers is completely not normal and is being re-established as best can be done. With many musicians quarantined at home — I’m sure the number of folks with TIME now to get into their electronic products, they are busier than usual. Normally, you get a human being right away, and if they are not the technician you need, your call is logged and goes into a cue where you are called back in the order that the call came in (that’s normally). These ain’t normal times. Let us know how you make out. Once they have your info, they will not abandon you.

I did that and it never The display never comes up Nothing comes up No display whatsoever Is there a way to return to original settings Or is there a way to download the entire operating system So that it has a place to boot from. At this point I'm not concerned with the update as much as having my machine operating

As I understand from your two threads, the initial time you attempted to update, you did see the “Searching for updater...” message and the Updater file was found and started... is that correct?

Once it finds the file it will tell you what version you're updating to and what version you are updating from... did you see this, initially?
Once the updater file has been completed it will show “Verifying” ... and report “Ok” or “N/G“

Before completing, before verification you got a “N/G”__ “Retry” message... Is that correct?

You mentioned it asked you to “Retry“... which says to me, it is still in the process of searching for a valid updater file... and this is why it is not booting up. (my guess based on what you’ve reported).

I would make sure your USB stick is not the cause. I realize some of the USB drives from that brand DO include some kind of embedded protection, so while you are waiting for your call back... Try to find out if the Verbatim 2.0 USB stick you have has this protection software built in... They may offer a removal tool. (No, you cannot remove it by simply formatting it... it wouldn’t be good protection if all someone needed to do was format it; often you are offered a protection removal tool by the USB stick manufacturer. It runs on your computer and can delete the stick’s protection). Check with the manufacturer to be sure...

See link below — I did a quick search ... see if it applies to your particular drive:
Verbatim Drive guide
You may wish to contact Verbatim directly if you discover it does have built-in protection. Or simply try a completely different drive... particularly if it cannot be removed.

Let us know.

Posted : 26/04/2020 3:22 pm
Topic starter

Thank you I talked to a buddy of mine he also has a modx 6 and he used a Sandisk Flash drive he says that does not have password protection on it as hes a computer guy. are you suggesting that if I try to load the program on that disk and put it in the machine it might work keep in mind I never get any kind of display whatsoever at this piont.
Again thank very much for continuing help.

Posted : 26/04/2020 5:07 pm
Topic starter

But just thinking I won't be able to format the drive because I can't get into the unit

Posted : 26/04/2020 5:25 pm
Bad Mister

Please re-read what I wrote. I know that you don’t get any display at this point. I asked specifically when you first attempted to update you saw it say “Searching for updater... “ correct?
You saw it ask you to “Retry”... correct?

The last thing you saw it say was “N/G” ... correct. Since that time nothing.
So the last time it said anything it was still searching for the updater.

You don’t need to format USB sticks ... they come ready to use.
Also you can format them on a computer.
Ask you friend (who knows computers) the drive should be formatted “FAT 32”

Posted : 26/04/2020 10:32 pm
Topic starter

Thanks I will try

Posted : 27/04/2020 12:17 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us