Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX and new CP88 have the exact same acoustic piano samples?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Do the MODX and the new CP88 have the exact same acoustic piano samples?

Posted : 28/01/2019 7:58 pm
Bad Mister

No.

Posted : 29/01/2019 3:02 am
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ah...

So the CFX samples aren't the same...

Posted : 29/01/2019 4:51 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not sure what that means exactly - but I do not believe the uprights (acoustic pianos) are represented in MODX.

Posted : 29/01/2019 5:44 am
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I was trying to compare the sampled CFX in the MODX8 and the CP88...

To me, for whatever reason, the piano sounds in the CP88 sounded better than the ones in the MODX8.

That's why I asked if the piano samples are exactly the same - meaning is the CFX sample in the MODX8 the exact same sample as the CP88.

It appears, from the response by Bad Mister - the answer is no.

And in comparing the voice lists in both - it appears that none of the piano voices are named the same.

Posted : 29/01/2019 6:05 pm
Prominent Member

IThat's why I asked if the piano samples are exactly the same - meaning is the CFX sample in the MODX8 the exact same sample as the CP88.

It appears, from the response by Bad Mister - the answer is no.

Hard to say. You didn't ask whether the CFX is the same, you asked, "MODX and new CP88 have the exact same acoustic piano samples?", that's the question BM answered, and as Jason kind of said, the answer to that question would still be no, even if the only difference was that the CP88 had additional uprights. So we really don't know exactly what's the same and what's different.

Posted : 29/01/2019 7:40 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yes, I agree my question was somewhat confusing - that is why I attempted to clarify it...

Hopefully Bad Mister will set us straight!

Posted : 29/01/2019 7:52 pm

I think you should not underestimate the impact of the DACs and analog audio circuits to the audio output of an instrument. Montage and MODX share much more than CP88 and MODX and still do not sound the same (even if pretty close). Even if they use CFX samples from the same recording session, there is much more in play than that, like product positioning that impacts voices programming, for example.

Also, for my few years of being member of this community, I have noticed that such questions, that are not strictly "how-to-do-that" or "how-to-fix-that" type of questions, often do not get comprehensive official answers. Even product related questions for upcoming updates and features (the DAW control, is it on the update roadmap for MODX?) are often neglected.

Posted : 31/01/2019 5:03 am
Bad Mister

Questions such as this are best answered with a simple no. Mainly because they are borne out of simple curiosity: folks want to know “...did Yamaha just mail it in?” The answer is a resounding, no. It is one you only ask when you (obviously) have not played one of these instruments yet.

Please visit the corporate website and read the extensive description of the new CP88/CP73... they’ve already added three new instruments to the fold beyond what you’ll find described...

_ In addition to the Yamaha CFX, Bösendorfer Imperial, and Yamaha S700 Acoustic grands — with version 1.10 they’ve added a version of the Yamaha C7 (arguably the most recorded acoustic piano in music history due to its omnipresence in the world’s finest recording studios).

_ Included is the Yamaha U1 (arguably the most popular piano on the planet Earth by sales) and Yamaha SU7 Upright Pianos - Full rich character unique to the Upright Piano Instrument.

_ The E.Piano category features the CP80, and new renditions of the Rhodes (76 Rd, 75 Rd, 73 Rd), the Wurlitzer (Wr) and added with 1.10 firmware is the “67 Rd”... a “silver-top” vintage classic! And a “Wr Wide” Wurli ... you can expect new instruments to be added in the future.

New sample sessions were done for the CP88/CP73 project... The magic is in how the Touch (action) is married to the Sound — which is something you’ll have to experience when you get hands-on (and then the question will be put into perspective — and you can answer it for yourself).

Announced as part of the product plan are scheduled releases of new instrument sounds by way of firmware updates. These updates will include any bug fixes and feature/workflow improvements, of course.
Dates are sometimes given, sometimes not given. Either way, you will find out about them here when they are ready. You should bookmark the product page or visit us here — as we’ll make an announcement here on the site, and in the Music Production Guide.

Posted : 31/01/2019 9:49 am
Prominent Member

So there you go, G, the CFX samples may or may not be the same as what's in the MODX. 😉 But to BM's bigger point, even if the samples are the same, it may not play the same. To make the point in reverse, Yamaha tells us that the MODX piano samples are the same as what's in the Montage, yet you will find people saying that they play/sound better in the Montage. So I would not be surprised to even find people saying they play differently on the CP88 than the CP73. From an academic perspective, I agree that it would be interesting to know what's the same or different between the CP pianos and the same-model Montage/MODX pianos, and once they're available in the wild, maybe someone can play the same MIDI file into both of them and see if anyone can tell them apart. But unless you're only playing MIDI sequences through them, as BM was saying, it's more relevant to know how they play under your fingers.

Posted : 31/01/2019 5:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I have no data on the internals of the CP - but given how it has less sounds (by an order of magnitude) - either the internal memory is also an order of magnitude smaller (shrunk by the same degree vs. MODX as the Performance count - roughly) or there's a chance that each Performance can consume more memory. Other keyboards let you choose the sample size for instruments (small, medium, large piano sound - etc). Perhaps to fit all the internal sounds MODX uses "small" to "medium" while CP can use "medium" to "large".

Although, for a number of reasons, one cannot draw conclusions from firmware sizes (firmware replacing all areas of memory vs. just an update to smaller sections, compression differences, etc) - CP's 1.18GB size does not exactly suggest a puny amount of memory - however unscientific and speculative that analysis is.

Posted : 31/01/2019 9:33 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us