Notifications
Clear all

MODX effects with vocals in cubase

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I think MONTAGE and MODX are the best sounding synths on planet earth.

I will be buying a MODX6 soon, but I do have two questions.

If I put my vocals thru the MODX input, using included CUBASE AI software,
can I put the MODX effects on my vocals that are being sung in realtime,
without printing the effects,
and or can I have MODX effects on my dry vocals that are recorded in Cubase?

Many thanks for info on this subject.

Posted : 18/05/2019 6:23 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

You have options. If you want dry, keep A/D Insertion Effects OFF (or disable insertion effects as a global configuration) and route your A/D input to an output like USB1&2 if recording vocals in stereo or a mono USB channel. This will automatically strip out System/Master effects so the resulting vocals will be dry. This is for when recording the vocals as dry. In Cubase for the audio input bus, choose the USB1&2 (or chosen mono USB channel) as the cubase audio input.

OR you could turn off all effects as a global (Insertion + System + Main FX = OFF,OFF,OFF) and route the A/D input to an output like Main L&R. And in Cubase choose Main L&R (MODX's digital out) as Cubase's audio input. This would involve less menu diving since Main L&R is the "default" A/D input audio routing for presets.

When you want to put effects around these - you can send the dry vocals to the "Digital In" channels of MODX and, in MODX's A/D input - setup InsA/B for A/D insertion effects for this audio and setup the Common/Audio Var/Reverb sends for system effects and main effects. The result can still output the Main L&R so all these effect levels will be documented. Turn back on the FX globals for all levels (Insertion + System + Main FX = ON, ON, ON).

Posted : 18/05/2019 7:36 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply Jason.

I will reference your reply when I get my MODX.

Im not completely sure yet of the technical side of MODX so, is that a yes to both my questions?

And If I could ask just one more question.

Can I record my vocals dry, but have effects on my vocals in realtime while im recording my vocals to CUBASE AI?

Many thanks.

Posted : 20/05/2019 8:27 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Your vocals can be sent "dry" through USB digital I/O as long as insertion effects are not used while using system effects (Reverb and Variation) and Master FX for real-time vocal effects which will come out "wet" from your Main L&R audio outputs while remaining dry on the USB output since USB digital channels strip out System+Master effects.

Posted : 20/05/2019 5:01 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Your vocals can be sent "dry" through USB digital I/O as long as A/D insertion effects are not used while using system effects (Reverb and Variation) and Master FX for real-time vocal effects which will come out "wet" from your Main L&R audio outputs while remaining dry on the USB output since USB digital channels strip out System+Master effects.

Posted : 20/05/2019 5:02 pm
Bad Mister

Monitoring with Effects
Typically, vocals inputs are recorded dry, even though during the record process you may wish to monitor yourself with reverberation. How you set this up with the MODX as your Audio Interface would be to setup an FX TRACK in Cubase AI. A mic plugged into the MODX can be routed on a discreet bus to an audio track in Cubase.

The microphone plugged into the “L Mono” Input jack will arrive in each Performance as “Audio In” — with its own Dual Insertion Effect. If you select to record to the DAW discreetly, you would route the “A/D In” to its own USB Out, 1-8. In Cubase AI you would Setup a Mono Input bus to receive this signal and a Mono Audio Track to Record this data.

Additionally, you would create an FX TRACK that references a Cubase Reverb. Each Cubase Audio Track has a Send that can be routed to this Effect. Here you can add Reverb that is not recorded to the A/D’s track but is simply used to monitor ‘with effects’.

You can add effects like Reverb later at mixdown.

This routing scenario allows you to record with two MODX Insert Effects — on a vocal mic, for example, you can place a VCM (boutique grade) Compressor and an EQ. INSERT EFFECTS are routed to the USB Out and are discreet to your A/D Part.

Posted : 20/05/2019 11:10 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the good info Bad Mister and Jason.

When I get my MODX6 I will use these posts as reference.

Posted : 23/05/2019 5:26 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us