Clear all

MODX FAQ Errors

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I mentioned this, in passing, in another thread. The thought was perhaps it was too early in the MODX roll-out to critique the online docs. However, it's been long enough - let me point out a few things.

Primarily, the MODX docs look to suffer from a cut-and-paste issue where the term "Montage" should be replaced with "MODX". Without the change, the information is mostly incorrect as Montage does not have the same feature-set and the statement does not correctly apply to Montage. Furthermore, mis-naming the target would be confusing to the MODX user who is trying to sort out what the FAQ means.

Some examples:

Source: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/faq.html

MONTAGE works as an Audio Interface?
Yes, MONTAGE works as following.

Send 5 Stereo channel to DAW and receive 2 Stereo channel from DAW.

This doesn't apply to Montage. Should say "MODX" instead of "Montage" for all cases.

MONTAGE support the USB Wi-Fi-adapter?
No.

This probably applies to both - but the FAQ is about MODX - so should reflect MODX instead of Montage to avoid confusion.

Also, more of a finer detail - reading through all of the FAQ items (English) - a USA English reader would likely have the impression that the FAQ is translated from some other language. The language is a bit "non-standard" in places what is usually expected from technical or marketing information.

This may be a "tip of the iceberg" type finding. It would be worthwhile for someone to go through the website and ensure the MODX information does not have similar cut-and-paste type issues where the wrong product name is used. I only checked the USA geo. Other geos should be checked as well.

Posted : 11/11/2018 3:47 am
Prominent Member

a USA English reader would likely have the impression that the FAQ is translated from some other language.

Actually, my impression was that the FAQ wasn't translated per se, but rather written in English by someone who was not fluent in the language.
Most Yamaha manuals, OTOH, do strike me as things that were translated from Japanese by a better but still non-native English speaker. This is how it's been forever.

It's odd to think that a company with the resources of Yamaha can't afford properly written documentation for one of their largest markets. Heck, there are people on forums like this who would probably do it for free, merely in exchange for getting a discount on their Yamaha gear. 😉 But I read a story once which might explain it, it went something like this: Back in the 80s, an editor for an American audio/video magazine went out to dinner with a bunch of executives from Sony. At one point he says, "You know, you make some of the best gear on the market, but the one consistent shortcoming is in the readability of the English manuals. Have you considered addressing that?" To which someone else at the table responds, "I write the manuals, and I think they're fine."

Posted : 11/11/2018 2:38 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I've been pretty happy with the owner's manual and reference manual in terms of stumbling over the delivery or otherwise having a less than positive impression. The data list is mostly just tables and "this equals this" facts - so there's not much there to complain about. The FAQ, for whatever reason, seemed to stand out more than other documentation.

@Scott: Regardless of the root cause of the "interesting" language usage in the FAQ and associated speculation - we both seem to agree that what's written can be improved.

It, language usage, wasn't really the main point - more of a "while we're touching this part of the website - maybe have an editor review the language". Things like FAQs and other marketing information on the website are more "in front" when a user is making purchasing decisions (more so than manuals). I'd encourage getting the online product-website-content shored up, if possible.

Posted : 11/11/2018 6:57 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us