Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX pattern sequencer punch in/out (is it possible to overwrite a part of the recorded play?)

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello everyone. I use Google translator, so I ask you not to swear for my English. The problem is as follows: I use the pattern sequencer to record the sketch of the play in 48 tacts (8 parts). Recording one of the part, I decided to overwrite it from 25 tact (I played it, and I did not like it during the game). I actually have one way - roll back everything and write down again (this example described is not a specific example, but a description of the problem for clarity)? The punch In / punch out function did not find - only replace and overdub. Well, I went to edit / job and looked what is there - the ability to change velocity - I think, great! As a crutch, I will install a velocity from 25 tact to end in 0, and as a result - not to play existing notes. But it is impossible to do this - when installing offset, rate, or all into the minimum value - it becomes velocity = 1 (the sound does not disappear). Of course, you can go even further - to make settings for each part so that the playback starts only with velocity = 2. In this case, the trick with edit / job -> velocity change is successfully completed. But it is already too, as i think. I tried to use the "press shift to erase" function, clamping all the keys in the game range by closing the shift - but only one key is deleted. Is it possible to do something in the Pattern Sequencer to overwrite a part of the recorded play, without using DAW, or is there only one possibility in MODX - a complete overwrite of the entire recorded part?
I used the search by forums, but there are no answers in addition to "Pattern Sequencer there is no function Punch In / Out" and "in MODX is not a full sequencer, but simplified Pattern Sequencer" I did not find. I need a more specific understanding - is it possible to overwrite a part of the play with the Pattern Sequencer standard (I can't understand why the Punch In / Out function was not added to the Pattern Sequencer and I have to be lazed that I just did not figure it out).

Thanks for all the answers in advance.

Posted : 06/02/2022 6:24 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for your useful answer Bill! I found a lot of useful additional information for myself on these links.

If someone needs it, I propose my way to cope with the limit of the pattern sequencer described by me - when playing, write a small part of your solo / drum / tool. For example, 4-8 tacts, or melodically separated parties. Then, in case of an mistake in one of the parts, you will not have to rewrite the entire part - you can use the "Undo Media Record" button after recording, erase your next played part of several tacts, and write again. I think that this is a good way out, and I am glad that Yamaha allowed us to delete the last record - this allows my method to quickly write out the sketch, albeit with some inconveniences - but the tool should not be waiting for miracles absolutely in all respects - there are no such synthesizers in the world at all. Yamaha also added pattern sequencer, which was not originally (of course, it does not cancel my desire to get a punch in/out function or an increase in the capabilities of the pattern sequencer in a new update 😀 ) and a lot more many useful things in different directions, not to mention the fact that in MODX was originally. He does not pretend to the title of workstation - this is a complete really magnificent performing synthesizer. MODX allows everything for which it is declared, and even more (in my subjective opinion). At first, the tool seemed to me rather complicated and counter-intuitive in terms of menu organization. The more I use it, the more I realize that everything is as thought out as possible - to accommodate so many useful functions is a very difficult task, and Yamaha did a great job with this (IMHO). If you need not sketches, but a full-fledged work - DAW is a must anyway, so I don't see any problem in this case (taking into account the possibility described by me above).

I hope the description of my way sounded clear for you (i use google translate, sorry), and someone it will be useful.

Posted : 07/02/2022 7:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us