Clear all

MODX polyphony limitations

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Axel
Topic starter

Hello Bad Mister,

A query about the MODX polyphony, if I have a sound that uses the 8 sampled elements and I make a 5-note chord, it consumes 40 polyphony notes? since if I combine it with another 8-layer sound it would already be 16 elements per note that only leaves me for a pair of instruments maximum 12 notes when playing? is this correct? or am I missing something here? Thank you !

Posted : 29/10/2018 5:38 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Most sounds (Performances) do not play all elements at the same time. Some are restricted to velocities, note ranges, or depends on the A.SW1/2 settings.

If, however, all 16 elements are active at the same time (two PARTs, 8 elements active at the same time) - then 128/16 = 8. So the maximum simultaneous notes would be 8. This assumes when you let go of the notes and start pressing the next 8 that the previous notes were not still sustaining from the release AEG.

Posted : 29/10/2018 10:12 pm
Bad Mister

An Element only uses polyphony when it is actually sounding. While a sound like the “Full Concert Grand” is 8 Elements never uses more than a single Element is happening at a time. The “CFX Concert” is an 18 Element acoustic piano that never uses more than a single Element at a time.

While you could create sounds that used all eight Elements for every note you played... but we don’t consider that *programming*, that borders on abuse of the system. The whole concept of expanding the number of oscillators in a program was to increase the available articulations - to be able to call upon an Element when required. Instead of just playing the same oscillators at all times... bring in oscilators, on demand, for specific results. String sound with bowed strings normally, but switch to pizzicato Elements, and then to a spicato bow stroke and then back to the original bowed section, then morph in Elements that double the size of the string section. All within a Performance.

Not all at once, but during your performing strings, you have access to all of those colors.

Brass ensemble on the keys, sforzando on the MW, Dynamic shakes on Velocity, a fall-Off on an AsSw, a pitch rip on the other AsSw... a ton of oscillators , but because of how they are used, not polyphony heavy at all. It’s all about dynamically allocating the use of the Elements... to accomplish a musical goal.

If all you do is layer sounds so they all play together... ultimately you get what you deserve... used wisely, though, you wind up with tons of polyphony.

Posted : 29/10/2018 11:00 pm
 Axel
Topic starter

Thank you very much! for your quick response and for the explanation Bad Mister ☺

Posted : 30/10/2018 1:07 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us