Clear all

Modx Slider Select Button seems to have a bug when selecting Sliders 5-8

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Dean
Topic starter

Greetings,

There seems to be a bug on the Modx when I click the "1-4/5-8" button to select sliders 5-8 to be adjusted on my Performance, the cursor selects part 5.
The problem is that now I only hear Part 5 because on my Performance, the Kbd Ctrl is set to "Off" for Part 5.
Does anyone else have this issue?

When I click the "1-4/5-8" slider button again, the cursor returns to the Performance Name which allows me to hear the parts with Kbd Ctrl set to "On".
Shouldn't the cursor not move from the Performance Name and just allow me to select which sliders (1-4 or 5-8) to choose?

Thanks,
Dean

Posted : 18/11/2020 11:46 pm
Bad Mister

There seems to be a bug on the Modx when I click the "1-4/5-8" button to select sliders 5-8 to be adjusted on my Performance, the cursor selects part 5.
The problem is that now I only hear Part 5 because on my Performance, the Kbd Ctrl is set to "Off" for Part 5.
Does anyone else have this issue?

If I understand your “issue”... when you select Sliders 5-8 the system selects Part 5. That sounds correct.

If you hold [SHIFT] while pressing the [1-4] button, it will select Part 9, and the Sliders will control Parts 9, 10, 11 and 12, respectively.
If you hold [SHIFT] while pressing the [5-8] button, it will select Part 13, and the Sliders will control Parts 13, 14, 15 and 16, respectively.

The buttons [1-4] and [5-8] are used to activate Part Sliders 1-4 and 5-8, respectively.
They also select Part Sliders 9-12 and 13-16 when you use [SHIFT].
That is exactly correct.

Any time you *select* a Part with the KBD CTRL icon active, you will be in touch with all of the Parts with KBD CTRL active. They work as a group. Additionally, any time you are in a “Common” area, the KBD CTRL Parts are considered *selected*...

When I click the "1-4/5-8" slider button again, the cursor returns to the Performance Name which allows me to hear the parts with Kbd Ctrl set to "On".
Shouldn't the cursor not move from the Performance Name and just allow me to select which sliders (1-4 or 5-8) to choose?

No. It is assumed that when you press [5-8] you do so to control Parts 5-8, is that not what you want to do? If Part 5 was KBD CTRL enabled it would be in the group that is linked and currently under Keyboard control, but since it is not you have *selected* a non-linked Part, and have left the ‘common’ (linked) area, and have entered the unlinked Part area.

_ If you wish to control the Volume of a Part not linked under KBD CTRL with a Slider you can operate the buttons to select the group 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16, as described.

_ If you need to control the output level of a Part not under KBD CTRL, while you continue playing the KBD CTRL linked Parts, you can assign Part Volume of any Part to the Super Knob or one of the Super Knob’s 8 Assign Knobs... being “super” they can be tasked to communicate with any Parts, 1-16, selected or not selected. You can be playing Parts 1-4 linked by KBD CTRL, yet controlling the Part Volume of any Part or Parts you desire by assigning Control to the Super Knob/Common Assign Knob system.

Say you are actively playing Parts 1-4 as KBD CTRL linked sound, while Parts 5 and 6 are being played by an external device or Sequencer... if you would like to control their Volume relative to what you are playing via the keys - assign the unlinked Part Volume to a Common Assign Knob.

The Common Assign Knob can be tasked with controlling any Part you desire, and are available while you play Parts 1-4.

Posted : 19/11/2020 8:08 am
 Dean
Topic starter

Thanks for your response.

If I understand your “issue”... when you select Sliders 5-8 the system selects Part 5. That sounds correct.

If you hold [SHIFT] while pressing the [1-4] button, it will select Part 9, and the Sliders will control Parts 9, 10, 11 and 12, respectively.
If you hold [SHIFT] while pressing the [5-8] button, it will select Part 13, and the Sliders will control Parts 13, 14, 15 and 16, respectively.

The buttons [1-4] and [5-8] are used to activate Part Sliders 1-4 and 5-8, respectively.
They also select Part Sliders 9-12 and 13-16 when you use [SHIFT].
That is exactly correct.

I agree that what you mention is correct but how come when I press the slider button to get back to 1-4 (from 5-8), the cursor returns to the Performance Name (original position) instead of selecting Part 1 like it would select part 5 when I click 5-8?

Also, when I'm accessing a Performance from Live Set mode, I can't access the sliders 5-8 to control the Part Volume unless I go into the Performance, only Parts 1-4 are accessible in Live Set Mode.
Is that they way it was intended to work? It just seems inconsistent compared to the way the scene buttons work with the 1-4 and 5-8 selectors.

Posted : 19/11/2020 8:17 pm
Bad Mister

...but how come... ?

There are never any good answers to “how come” questions. The answer basically always is “Because...” and that “that’s the way it works...

The important thing to recognize that when you are in any common area the Performance is interacting with the Parts linked by KBD CTRL.
It is also true that in all 2,227 Performances Part 1 acts as the anchor Part.
All Performances have Part 1 active as a default condition so that when you select a Performance it is set play. Logically, when building a Performance you would start with Part 1.
Not all Performances have a Part 5, not all Performances have a Part 2 (for that matter).

Due to the economy of buttons on the MODX, you don’t have a [COMMON] button, like on MONTAGE (it sits just to the left of the 16 Part Select buttons, and defines the ‘common’ areas... but the KBD CTRL linked Parts, anchored by Part 1 are selected anytime you are in a common area. Performance Name is definitely in a common area. And, most importantly, it gives you access to the Parts 1-4 and their Sliders

As to the Live Set. When a Live Set is activated, you do not have to be on the [Live Set] grid screen for the set list function to work. Once activated, you do so by selecting the first Performance slot in your Live Set list, you can go to any screen in that Performance and you can advance to the next item using a FS assigned to “LIVE SET+“ (advance) without having to return to the Live Set grid screen.
_ You do not have to be looking at the Live Set grid. Simply step on your FS and the item in slot 2 is selected.

So you can access Parts 5-8 while in a Live Set... you just have to not assume you have to be on the Live Set grid to use the Live Set listings, you’ll find you do not.

Mastering MODX: Performance Basics and the Live Set
Mastering MODX: Performance Basics

Posted : 19/11/2020 10:14 pm
Eminent Member

It "would be nice" (I have a list of these "it would be nice" things) if the cursor stayed put when flipping between 1-4 and 5-8... that is, if it's not on a Part already.

But, a workaround for the issue of flipping to a non Kbd Ctrl part would be to move one of your Kbd Ctrl parts to part 5 (swapping with another part as needed).

If you only have one Kbd Ctrl part in your performance, create a 2nd in part 5 and have it be silent.

Then your Kbd Ctrl parts will always be controlled when flipping back and forth, since the cursor will always land on part 1, part 5, or the Performance name box.

Posted : 20/11/2020 6:46 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us