Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Modx + Squarp Pyramid: how do you recall the program info to do a program change from the pyramid?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

As per title; I have a squarp Pyramid sequencer that I use with my MODX; it works great although there is a big issue: When recording parts, the Pyramid has no idea on which patch I am on the MODX. I found that you can actually send PC messages from the Pyramid, and the MODX respond; but sadly, the roadblock here is that I use favorites, so the presets are not in order.

I may scroll through my favorites, find something I like and start recording; then I turn off the MODX and when I play the midi part, it is on the default piano sound you get at boot up.

How do I find out the info about a specific program? I looked everywhere and can't really see the values for PC, MSB and LSB; because without those, I can't tell the Pyramid which sound to get on the MODX. On other synths it is simple because they just use PC; but with the MODX there are a ton of sounds, and once you get to 128 you need to change MSB and LSB.

Same issue if I am using an expansion: those are not accessible directly changing just PC; so I need a way to get the program data from the MODX. Thanks

Posted : 13/03/2021 6:32 am
Bad Mister

I may scroll through my favorites, find something I like and start recording; then I turn off the MODX and when I play the midi part, it is on the default piano sound you get at boot up.

In between recording a sound you like and turning OFF the MODX, you need to learn to STORE and NAME your Performance to the USER Bank. Then you can recall all of your instrument selections with a single command.

If you do what you wrote, the MODX assumes you don’t want to keep any of that work, so it just discards it.
Learn, first to assemble the instrument sounds you want to use... Then press [STORE]
The MODX will ask you to “Store New Performance”
You give it a Name (very important) because as you noted, the MODX has many, many programs, and you’ll need to find yours again.

How do I find out the info about a specific program? I looked everywhere and can't really see the values for PC, MSB and LSB; because without those, I can't tell the Pyramid which sound to get on the MODX

The MODX will display it in the screen. We can show you where to find out, but you are completely wrong when you say you cannot tell your Sequencer which sound to get.

You could do, as you say, (this is the “General MIDI style” workflow) - where you have to look up and input an MSB-LSB-PC for each Track... one-by-one, and enter it on each Track, one-by-one... yikes.
You don’t have to do that (there is a better way):

Once you place all the instrument sounds into your New Performance. You can [STORE] it to the User Bank.
This will assign one MSB-LSB-PC that will recall all of your sounds — with just the single command.

Not only is this more efficient...
__ it allows you to store customized versions of each of the instruments you use. Why this is important is it gives way more flexibility. Say you pick a Bass sound... if you use a Bank Select and Program Change to recall the bass sound, but then as you add drums, keyboard, guitar, brass, strings etc., you realize you’d like to EQ the bass and put a new effect on it.

If you did the General MIDI thing where you are always playing the preset version of that sound (you recall it and play it, as is), you miss out on what I’m talking about.
By STORING your own Performance, all the customization you do to each of 16 instruments is automatically STORED with your Performance and the entire Performance (all 16 Parts, Master Effects, Master EQ, etc) gets recalled with a single command.

Not only will this save you about an hour and a bunch of typing, you’ll get the benefit of all the memory available in your MODX. The MODX has enough on board memory to store a unique version of each instrument you select to your Performance
By the time you look up and input Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Changes on each Track, you could have finished the composition.

As an example of what I’m talking about:
Recall the Performance called “Out West”
Here’s how’s
From the HOME screen
Press [CATEGORY]
Set “Bank/Favorite” = All
Set “Attribute” = All
In the box with the magnifying glass, type: Out West
Select it...

This is an example of a Performance built to do a Sequence... for demonstration purposes, Yamaha placed a Sequence in the [AUDITION] phrases...
Press [AUDITION] to playback the demonstration.

The point is... it is a Performance, the Name is the title of the composition.
Of course, you would be playing your sequence back from your external device... but the point is, this Performance could be recalled by any external Sequencer by using its MSB/LSB and Program Change.

To find this information
While on the HOME screen
Tap the Performance Name box
A pop-in menu appears > tap “Property”
The screen will show you the information you require.

This one MSB/LSB/PC will recall all the customized sounds used by the original programmer (Scott Plunkett)... not just the stored presets, but every edit, every tweak, every change to every effect, will be recalled from the one message.

Hope that helps... yes it is a new way to work, but we think you’ll find it more flexible.
The MODX is an editable synth, the old “GM-workflow” lets you select sounds as they are stored in memory
The method I explained above allows you to completely customize each program you choose so that they work in THIS sequence!

Posted : 13/03/2021 2:03 pm
Topic starter

Much appreciated!

Although this works for single parts that get saved in a performance, right? What if I have a preset I saved and I want to recall that? For example I used "songwriter 2015" preset; it is a multi-part preset with arps; and I want to switch my pyramid to that preset. I cannot create a new performance with that preset, because it is a multi part preset, unless I am mistaken. And even if I can; then if I want to use a different multi-part preset; that has more parts that the ones available in my custom performance, that would not work either.

So to make a practical example; this is my scenario

- The pyramid record midi from the MODX out; then it send the midi out to the IN of the MODX, so I can hear what I am playing.
- I start with a preset (say songwriter 2015), the recording is tied to this preset; but then I want to change preset, so I load my custom performance that has different parts that may play solo or together.

In this case; don't I need to pass to the Pyramid the PC, MSB and LSB? Or can I just do a PC since I am in the "Custom" section of my performances, so there is no MSB and LSB, but each performance is set to be a PC starting at 1 for the first performances, and 2 for my second performance?
Sorry for asking; but I have been used to the "old school midi" workflow so that is what I get most easily; but I am all for learning new workflows; especially if it is easier and simpler! Indeed it takes me some efforts to memorize all the performances used for each track on the sequencer; so if I can play more instead of menu diving setting up parameters for the patches, I am all for it 🙂

Thanks!

Posted : 14/03/2021 1:00 am
Bad Mister

In this case; don't I need to pass to the Pyramid the PC, MSB and LSB? Or can I just do a PC since I am in the "Custom" section of my performances, so there is no MSB and LSB, but each performance is set to be a PC starting at 1 for the first performances, and 2 for my second performance?

No, none of that is true. The MODX requires MSB/LSB and PC.
When you store your new Performance to the User Bank it will have its own unique MSB/LSB/PC. You cannot just use the Program Change without telling the MODX which Bank to look in. There are 640 (5x128) Performance locations in the User Bank alone.

Sorry for asking; but I have been used to the "old school midi" workflow so that is what I get most easily; but I am all for learning new workflows; especially if it is easier and simpler! Indeed it takes me some efforts to memorize all the performances used for each track on the sequencer; so if I can play more instead of menu diving setting up parameters for the patches, I am all for it 🙂

I cannot guarantee it is easier because I don’t know (never heard of) your Sequencer. And I can’t help you with setting that up — we assume YOU know how it works.. If your goal is to record multiple Parts simultaneously - make sure your sequencer isn’t fixed to work with just one Track/one Channel at a time recording.

If you are playing a Multi Part Performance, you mention “Songwriter 2015” - you must realize, if your goal is to record this as MIDI data, you will probably want to put each instrument on its own Track and MIDI Channel.... separating the Drums from your guitars, etc.

The internal MODX sequencer is designed to record Multi Part Performances (quickly and easily).
We have NO IDEA what your external synth is capable of... sorry.
Have you learned to record to MODX?
Suggestion: Perhaps you should learn to do this first, then you can apply what you learn to help you use your external synth... (you may find you have outgrown it, or you may discover a new workflow that makes it even more valuable.). I highly recommend learning your MODX sequencer first, then worst case - you can save as a .mid file and just load it to the external Sequencer.

You do not need to know, nor do you need memorize all the Parts used for your sequence (that’s the technology’s job)... once you place them all in the same Performance, which you will STORE and NAME, they are assigned (as a group) a single MSB/LSB and PC that will recall them all together.

Posted : 14/03/2021 11:18 am
Topic starter

Thanks; so from what I understand , the MSB, LSB and CC are always required no matter what; because there are multiple banks; which make sense (I do have other synths that have thousands of sounds so that goes beyond the 127 values you can cover with CC, and are forced to use MSB and LSB). I though that User bank was something like setting MSB to 1 and LSB to 0, which seems to be the standard for most synths that does have less than 127 patches.

And yes, I am using multi-parts performances, so to my knowledge, there is no way to say "merge in a single performance this multi with this other multi"; unless I missed it on the manual. I am also sending the output as single channel output because I consider the multi as "one instrument" that goes on one track on my external sequencer. So I have the MODX to send out the data on channel 8

As far as my other device; it is a Squarp Pyramid; it is not a synth but a straight midi sequencer; and while I am aware how to use it; I am not aware of why it does not work with the MODX 🙂 With other synths I can switch PC no problem. At this point I think that the solution is to still collect the values for each performance I save in my user bank and pass them as CC messages; since I am not using the MODX sequencer at all (tried to use it but never had luck recording multiple multi-parts playing together due to the limitation that you can only have one multi-parts set at time; and I never learned how you "merge" 2 multi-parts into a new one, so I found it easier to do with single multi-parts playing one at time and record them in my DAW or on my hardware sequencer).

I can give it a go again using the internal sequencer; I liked the changes made in the latest firmware update but it is still quite complex, compared to use a hardware sequencer. Not saying it is bad, it is just requiring a different way to think about how you record parts, which does not necessarily click with me 🙁

Thanks for the info; I will have to apply what you just explained to me and see how to make it work. Cheers!

Posted : 14/03/2021 6:36 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks; so from what I understand , the MSB, LSB and CC are always required no matter what;

We’re sure you mean MSB, LSB and PC (Program Change).

I though that User bank was something like setting MSB to 1 and LSB to 0, which seems to be the standard for most synths that does have less than 127 patches.

I know of no synths that use this — it is not a standard, and most synths have 128 programs per Bank, where the Program Changes are numbered, 0-127.

We think perhaps you are coming from the world of General MIDI where the Normal instrument programs are listed as MSB 000, LSB 000 and a Program Change of 0-127. The MODX has this Bank, as well.

But even with the GM synths you need Bank Select (MSB/LSB) if you wish to select a Drum kit as the instrument. MSB 127, LSB 000
You can only “get away” with no MSB LSB, if you are using a piece of gear Limited to just a GM Normal Bank. Yikes!
And that certainly is NOT the case here. I know of no such synth.

And yes, I am using multi-parts performances, so to my knowledge, there is no way to say "merge in a single performance this multi with this other multi";

Which is why, we assume, you are ‘asking’ here! lol. You can “merge” multiple Multi Part Performances into one Performance as long as you don’t exceed the maximum of 16 Parts. And that Performance will be Assign an MSB/LSB and PC.

I am also sending the output as single channel output because I consider the multi as "one instrument" that goes on one track on my external sequencer. So I have the MODX to send out the data on channel 8

We can see why you are thinking like this, because in the past this has always worked for, but hopefully we can fill you in on what you are missing (or what you missed).

As far as my other device; it is a Squarp Pyramid; it is not a synth but a straight midi sequencer; and while I am aware how to use it; I am not aware of why it does not work with the MODX 🙂 With other synths I can switch PC no problem.

As you have discovered, the MODX is not like other synths— this is what you missed:

First, it is great that you know the Squarp Pyramid (because I certainly do not) - we will rely on you for how to accommodate what your MODX requires. We are fairly confident that we can help you find a workflow that accommodates “what’s different” about the MODX. You see, I know why it does not work with the MODX... so together we can figure what adjustments you may need to make. (But to be sure, you will be establishing some New Rules)!

The MODX (when MIDI I/O Mode = Multi) transmits a separate MIDI stream for each Part that you are controlling simultaneously.
When the MIDI I/O Mode = Single, or Hybrid the MODX transmits one MIDI stream for the Parts you are controlling simultaneously.

This is a very significant point to grasp when attempting to record MIDI data.

Prime Directive — Let’s state for the record, that the data any MIDI keyboard Outputs via MIDI, if captured and played back, should reproduce what you played down to the smallest nuance.

Let’s start with the Performance you mentioned “Songwriter 2015”
__ If MIDI I/O Mode = Multi — each Part sends a separate stream of MIDI data. Those Parts that have an Arpeggiator assigned will either block your KeyOn events and output an Arp Phrase, or they will pass your KeyOn events and apply Control Change. This means Parts 1, 2, 4 and 6 ~ Steel Guitar, Drums, Synth Bass, and Syn Comp each outputs a unique set of Note-On events. While Parts 3 and 5 ~ Clean E.Guitar, and Synth Pad each output the actual Notes you physically played.

__ If MIDI I/O Mode = Single or Hybrid — the MODX sends a single stream of MIDI. This allows you to easily edit any performing mistakes. It also means, that at no time are the Arp-assigned Parts going to send the Arp Phrase Out via MIDI. This means Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 can be controlled with a single stream of data...

You can understand what this means by recalling the “prime directive” — in order for the Arp’d Part to “reproduce what you played down to the smallest detail”, the Arpeggiator must be reset and re-armed just prior to playback. Because there is one stream of MIDI data, feeding that MIDI back to the MODX will trigger the Arpeggiators to do exactly what they did when you recorded that single stream.

That’s right, the Arp Phrases are NOT recorded to your Sequencer when you use Single or Hybrid.
The Arp Phrases are reproduce “live” in response to the same notes you played... down to the smallest detail.

Questions concerning your external Sequencer:
Many MIDI Sequencers default to recording all incoming MIDI data, (this is done for those who are initially baffled by the whole Channel concept), but just as many default to filtering all but one MIDI channel per Track.
This will have a profound impact on your workflow. A sequencer Track that simply records all incoming channels should be set so that it sends the data back Out on the same Channel it came in on. This way if it sees Channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 coming IN, it is able to send Channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 back OUT.

Can it record multiple Channels simultaneously?
Can it record multiple Tracks simultaneously?

Many MIDI sequencers are designed to be used in a workflow where you record “one instrument to one Track” at a time.
Does your sequencer have a mode, like the MODX’s Performance Recorder, where it can place multiple Track simultaneously in Record, and have Part 1 go to its own dedicated Track, and Part 2 goes to its own dedicated Track, and Part 3 goes to its own dedicated Track, and so on?

MIDI data does not require it be separated onto individual Tracks. All data can occupy one Track yet all the data remains separate because of the 16 channel system.
Separate MIDI Tracks simply make it much easier to look at, and much easier to edit.

You need to determine does your Sequencer filter MIDI Channels — like the MODX’s own Performance Recorder.
Or if you put one Track in Record does it attempt to record all incoming data?

Let us know. It will determine your options. And as you see ‘new rules’ when an Arpeggio data is involved.

Posted : 15/03/2021 2:59 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us