Notifications
Clear all

MODX to cubase 12 quick setup MIDI Rec on Daw bounce to audio

44 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the response! Okay I'll update the audio driver to the latest yamaha 2.1.4. Quick question- do I need to uninstall current driver or can I just download and install the latest and it automatically upgrades in the background? What's best / right practice? Wanna it get it right. Thanks!

Posted : 03/04/2023 6:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The v2.1.4 installation guide helps answer the question:

If the same software components have already been installed in your computer, you can use the same procedure as described in the installation instructions here to update the software.

Mac Installation
1. Turn off the computer.
2. Disconnect all USB devices other than the mouse and keyboard from the computer.
3. Start the computer and log in to the Administrator account.
4. Double-click “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V.pkg” in the compressed file you have downloaded.
represents the version number.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
• If the dialog window about system extensions appears, open the “Security & Privacy” on “System Preferences” and allow the computer to load system software from developer “Yamaha Corporation.”
6. When installation has been completed, click [Restart] to restart the computer.

Device Connection
7. Set all device controls that adjust output levels to the minimum.
8. Connect the device directly to the computer by using a USB cable.
Make sure to not connect it to a USB hub.
9. Turn on the device (if it has a power switch).

Confirmation of Installation
10. Open the “Audio MIDI Setup” window as follows.
Click [Applications][Utilities][Audio MIDI Setup]
11. Confirm that the device name you are using is listed.
Installation of the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver is now complete.

... there's no instruction to uninstall the drivers. An "in place" install should be fine. On Mac I've always done it this way without uninstalling first. On Windows - even though it doesn't say to do this - I would sometimes remove the installed software (driver, helper apps) first before upgrading. Usually because Windows has its own problems that can creep up that I haven't seen on the Mac.

Posted : 03/04/2023 7:02 pm
Prominent Member

Quick question- do I need to uninstall current driver or can I just download and install the latest and it automatically upgrades in the background?

How much risk are you willing to take?

I recommend uninstalling ANY software that you no longer need. That is the ONLY way to guarantee that it won't, and can't, interfere with any other installed software.

If you don't plan to use the old driver get rid of it.

The ONLY exception to the above 'remove the old - install the new' is if a new/updated driver actually REQUIRES the previous version because it isn't a full replacement for it.

It's your pc so take whatever risk you are comfortable with.

Posted : 03/04/2023 8:10 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

ok thanks will take some time to process this. Am weary to mess or upgrade the OS but can take a chance on updating the driver, so can uninstall that and install the new version

Posted : 13/04/2023 5:48 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

okay, so i uninstalled the old driver and installed v2.1.4 rebooted computer etc setup a project template multil channel recording; the settings seemed to be fine (audio device MODX, control room disabled, OUTPUTS main LR, loaded up a MODX project /performance, made sure all parts (just to try and get some audio working) route to part output Main L&R, set Audio Rec on Daw, save settings, ensure audio channels in cubase are receiving audio from USB Main (think this is right? tried USB 1&2 too, though not yet the other option "Outputs digital"....and no audio channel seems to work, is showing audio signal. It sounds when Standalone is enabled and also Arp Rec on DAW but am getting no joy with the audio channels / signal showing on the audio channels, so no current option to bounce the MODX to audio in cubase. Hopefully I'm doing something wrong! ?

Posted : 13/04/2023 6:46 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

the midi channels are all on PORT 1...so, how to get the audio channels recording audio from the MODX?

Posted : 13/04/2023 6:54 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't think I left out any step in the procedure I followed to get the same thing to work.

It shows audio input as coming from multiple sources depending on the track. The first track uses USB Main as the input and second track USB1&2, third track USB3&4 and so on.

The output of each audio track is set to "Main" which means the audio output when you playback a track will go to the keyboard's Main L&R outputs.

Posted : 13/04/2023 7:01 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Okay, I have driver v2.1.4 installed and still cannot get the MODX to route audio to a or any audio track in cubase. The performance parts outputs are routed accordingly, even when trying to have everything route to the Main L&R it still does not work. This is really quite frustrating and annoying and is not even a sophisticated thing, I just want to bounce some MODX tracks to audio now in cubase. Can't help but wonder is this Apple playing games or some malfunction?

I don't really want to have to buy another DAW for this (ie Reaper) and it should work (it cost enough). Any ideas how to get this MODX performances and parts recorded in the MODX bouncing to audio in cubase 12? I'm on OSX 10.14.6 and have also used Logic on the same computer in the past so perhaps the mac doesn't like two programmes or something. Any thoughts / suggestions / work arounds? Ideally this will be a relatively simple quick procedure (bouncing MODX to audio in a DAW / Cubase 12). Thanks !

Attached files

Posted : 05/06/2023 8:06 pm
Member Admin

[quotePost id=122067]

I don't really want to have to buy another DAW for this (ie Reaper) and it should work (it cost enough). Any ideas how to get this MODX performances and parts recorded in the MODX bouncing to audio in cubase 12? I'm on OSX 10.14.6 and have also used Logic on the same computer in the past so perhaps the mac doesn't like two programmes or something. Any thoughts / suggestions / work arounds? Ideally this will be a relatively simple quick procedure (bouncing MODX to audio in a DAW / Cubase 12). Thanks !

[/quotePost]

As I've said before, I don't think this is on Apple. It's Cubase, I think.

I've not had the same problem with Logic, Ableton, Bitwig or Reaper.

Of the above, Reaper is by far the cheapest (free, really... if you can put up with the nags) and is the most customisable, too. Plus it's light and fast.

Probably got the least steep learning curve, too, as it's basically the same kind of operation mechanisms as Cubase. Just a MUCH more accessible and controllable Preferences and Options system.

If there's anything I can do to help you with setup, let me know. I was never able to get audio recording working with Cubase on a Mac for bouncing tracks. It's what eventually led me to trying Bitwig, which has been a revelation.

But I understand your desire to stay with what you know. Just a pity that Yamaha can't make two of their products "Plug'nPlay"

Posted : 05/06/2023 10:09 pm

[quotePost id=122067]Okay, I have driver v2.1.4 installed and still cannot get the MODX to route audio to a or any audio track in cubase. The performance parts outputs are routed accordingly, even when trying to have everything route to the Main L&R it still does not work. This is really quite frustrating and annoying and is not even a sophisticated thing, I just want to bounce some MODX tracks to audio now in cubase. Can't help but wonder is this Apple playing games or some malfunction.

[/quotePost]
I thought the latest driver was V3.1.4.

https://o.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver.html

Sorry Jason informed that you are on OSX 10.x., so 2.1.4 is the correct driver.

Posted : 05/06/2023 11:01 pm

I'm pretty sure you're missing/overlooking a basic step in setup. Here's a link to Dom and his video on setting up the MODX with Cubase. He takes it a step by step with explanations. Hope it helps. I'd be inclined to check the Studio settings again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPPJeU9Ayy4

Posted : 05/06/2023 11:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Chris,

Fyi the op is running OSX version 10.x.

3.1.4 is the latest for MacOS 11+ (through latest).

2.1.4 is the latest to claim compatibility with OSX 10.

Posted : 06/06/2023 12:38 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I've done a bunch of mini projects in Cubase 12 via the MIDI record - MODX link as per the above but can't bounce them to audio. I;m on driver v2.1.4 on OSX 10.14.6, I know it's pretty old but updating it will invalidate another hardware unit (not to mention wreck settings and various projects etc). The version of Logic I'm using (10.5.1) can bounce MODX to audio but I can't seem to switch this function to cubase. I use both but really want to make a clean transition to cubase. Is this a lost cause with this OS version? If i do upgrade the OS i just know a bunch of settings and so on all get buggered- happened so many times and i understand the new OS version will not work with some hardware units- maybe an Apple problem. Is there any way to get the audio recording function working on cubase on this OSX version? obviously other VSTs work in terms of bouncing to audio just not the MODX plugged into the mac mini.

Posted : 01/08/2023 9:45 pm

Hi, if you haven't found the answer yet, I think you can go to our website https://www.heisener.com/ to make a consultation, there are professional customer service to help you solve any problem you have.

Posted : 19/10/2023 8:20 am
Page 3 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us