Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX v2.0 DAW remote feature

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Regarding the upcoming MODX v2.0 update, I would like to ask Mr. Bad Mister if "DAW remote feature" will be included in MODX next OS update.

It is a really useful feature that I assume - as the transport buttons are present in MODX panel as well -, is quite possible to implement in MODX.

Thank you.

Posted : 23/09/2019 11:32 am
Prominent Member

DAW Remote on Montage also makes extensive use of all the buttons on the right, which don't exist on the MODX. So a MODX implementation would be more limited.

Posted : 23/09/2019 11:52 am
Bad Mister

AnotherScott is correct. The Remote feature is all about having access to hardware switches... the MONTAGE has the switches.

It was discussed about a possible Transport Control function (at least). And although the Transport buttons are, tantalizingly, there already, in a perfect world you could just click your heels three times and they’d become Transport Controls for your favorite DAW (but as they told that little girl, ‘this ain’t Oz’... ). It is a lot more complicated...trust me.

The Remote Transport feature is still missing on the MODX, at this time (2.0) as far as I know. There is still hope for this in a future firmware update. (There are still a couple of weeks before the MODX firmware is finalized). If it is possible, you’ll see it, eventually. The rest of the REMOTE Control features (Track Select, Track mutes, Track Solo, Track arming/disarming, etc, etc, etc), will be something that differentiates MONTAGE from MODX. Like the Ribbon Control and Aftertouch; It’s fairly obvious when looking at the available hardware! After all, a firmware update cannot grow the hardware switches.

Posted : 23/09/2019 12:39 pm
Topic starter

Thank you so much Phil for your detailed answer.

You are right about what differenciates MODX from MONTAGE, of course. But al least having "Remote transport features" on the MODX would be greatly appreciated by MODX users. Let's hope YAMAHA manages to include this on v2.0. Even if it's not possible untill then, in v2.5 or so.
And yes I trust you when you say "it's more complicated... trust me" :O)

Many thanks for your reply and once again informative help!

Eduardo

Posted : 23/09/2019 1:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Assigning sliders to arbitrary CC values and other features utilizing hardware that is there would probably be of interest to MODX users.

Posted : 23/09/2019 1:33 pm

Watched video right now about new Roland Fantom and his DAW integration. This is perfect. Sequencer is excellent also. Roland integrates about 80% of Cubasis already in their Fantom I guess. Hope Yamaha can do something similar for their MODX users. Anyway I believe in Yamaha's developer team.

Posted : 07/10/2019 5:43 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I imagine the video focused on Mainstage integration. That's the most interesting of the DAW integration.

If so, that's likely not going to happen this generation. Extra knobs, buttons, and capacitive touch features that are not in the hardware (MODX or Montage) makes it a bit of a non-starter.

Posted : 07/10/2019 8:46 pm

It's the 24th of October ... nearly Noon in the Western US ... where is the OS 2.0 ?

Posted : 24/10/2019 6:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It's not 10PM EDT 10/24 yet.

(FYI: 10PM EDT Thursday is 11AM Friday in Tokyo, Japan) This fact communicated due to speculation on the mechanism/locale of initial public release.

Posted : 24/10/2019 6:19 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us