Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Modx v2.0 usb midi channel receive

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have updated to 2.0 without problems. Looking forward to all the new features.
However I’m having a problem with what I thought would now be possible, that is, using my Audiofront midi expression i/o to control individual parts using a usb (B to A) cable.
So, the Audiofront midi controller has been, and is still, able to control volume (cc07) on Modx7 performance parts 1 and 2 individually using a MIDI DIN connection, but when using a usb connection, part volume is altered on both parts simultaneously, whether I choose cc07 (pedal input) on midi channel 1 or 2.
(Multi-mode selected, and midi switched between midi/usb appropriately)
Hoping there is another simple modx setting I have missed.
Looking forward to any help available.
Peter

Posted : 26/10/2019 7:40 pm
Topic starter

As no response on this question so far, can I ask more generally - has anyone experience, with the recent update, of using a hardware midi controller over usb-midi to control the individual parts of a performance? Also, I recall a link to "compatible" hardware but can't now find that link.

Thanks

Peter

Posted : 30/10/2019 10:07 am
Bad Mister

I had never heard of the “Audiofront midi expression i/o” until your post, reading the manual it looks like it is a device that connects to a computer and allows you to plug in pedals etc. Whether specifically, this device works with the MODX I cannot say.

About the USB “To Device” Controller connection
Connecting a controller to the MODX via the USB “To Device” Port will allow you to trigger the MODX’s KBD CTRL linked Parts as a group... if, for example, you are attempting to play the seven Part “Seattle Sections” Performance, you can set your external controller to transmit on any channel, 1 - 7 to play all seven Parts simultaneously ... it treats them as a group. Any non-linked Parts can be triggered by transmitting to them on their correspondingly numbered MIDI channel... Part 8 would be MIDI Ch 8, Part 9 on Ch 9 and so on.

Connecting pedals to that controller should work as well. For example, if you are controlling a KBD CTRL linked Multi Part Performance then cc messages sent from that device to that port will control the group of Parts, same goes for if you are controlling an individual Part set to receive the transmitted channel.

If your external controller transmits on multiple channels, you only need one channel to trigger the MODX’s KBD CTRL linked Parts.

Hope that helps some... let us know.

Posted : 30/10/2019 8:49 pm
Topic starter

Thanks again for the detailed reply, and very helpful. I have also re-read p38 of the supplementary manual and now understand the meaning of "channel events...are received in parallel by all Parts...." I had mistakenly thought that midi control (receive) using an external controller would have the same functionality whether reception was via MIDI DIN or usb, after the v2.0 update. So, I can successfully control individual Modx7 Parts/midi channels using my Audiofront controller, even with keyboard control ON for several Parts (as Seattle Section), using MIDI DIN, but not using a usb midi port....pity, as would have meant one less cable on a gig, and no need for power supply.

Incidentally, the Audiofront i/o gadget is used, at least by me now, as the most convenient way for me to get around the problem (since the early 1980s!) of controlling cc expression/volume differentially on keyboard splits/layers, without using a computer e.g. walking bass remains calm whilst pedal "expressing" on lead sound.

Posted : 31/10/2019 5:13 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us