Notifications
Clear all

MODX - Voloume

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

This is probably an incredibly stupid question however here goes - is there any internal setting or adjustment I can make to increase the volume - Tenor Growl for instance is just not loud enough at "127" - my pianos etc. are fine but certain of the woodwinds just don't cut it - flutes and saxes for example. So I apologize in advance if makes me an idiot.....

Posted : 20/03/2022 6:10 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

There may be more dials to turn - but usually when I can't get something to turn up anymore I turn everything else down.

Posted : 20/03/2022 6:44 am
Bad Mister

The absolute best advice is given above, by Jason… “… when I can't get something to turn up anymore I turn everything else down.”

It takes some folks a lifetime to master this very basic lesson in audio mixing. The ceiling is fixed… all your instruments sounds must share the same ceiling (upper limit). All Parts cannot/should not be cranked — if your goal is to create a musically balanced mix.
Flutes are naturally less loud than electric guitars. Turning down is an important skill!

That stated, within the program there are several things that influence the output level of the sound you are playing. The Performance VOLUME affects all Parts together. When creating a mix with several instruments, it is the Part VOLUME that you adjust to balance the mix. This Part Volume is typically (but not always) controlled by the Slider associated with the Part. When it is not, it’s because volume control was placed on an alternate controller.

Setting the Part Volume = 127 is the equivalent to moving the fader on the saxophone’s mixer channel to maximum. In addition to this mixer output level there are other places to affect the Tenor Sax Part’s overall output level.

Of course, Velocity - how fast (hard) you press a key when striking it can affect the output level.
Each Element has its own output level parameter setting - but you will probably want to keep the relationship of the Elements to each other consistent.

Within each Part you have an individual Output Gain control. This can be used to turn up the overall output level of the selected Part.
From the HOME screen, select the PART containing “Tenor Growl AF1”
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Effect” > “EQ”
On the EQ screen, the 3-Band EQ is pre- (before) the Insertion Effect blocks; the 2-Band EQ is post- (after) the Insertion blocks.
Select the “2-Band EQ”
In the lower right corner of the “2-Band EQ” screen is an Output Level parameter… use just what you require.
Resist the urge to simply boost it to maximum. Learn to use just what you need.

Extra Credit:
Please see this thread on working with Tenor Saxophone “growl”… for more possibilities and programming examples for working with the Tenor sax “growl” function.

Tenor Sax sound with or without growl — Is that possible?

Posted : 20/03/2022 2:23 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us