Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Modx7, Controller and Mainstage

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, I’m new to the forum and hoping I can get some guidance. It may be best to first describe my current rig. I am including a pic to help with my question.

My rig includes: Modx7, Arturia keylab88, MacBook Pro for Mainstage. (Modx replaces a studiologic 61 key controller)

What I am trying to achieve is to have the Modx be the main sound engine of my rig with one performance(sound) being triggered by the keys of the Modx, another performance(sound) being triggered by the Keylab88 ant the overall patch changes being controlled through mainstage.

I cuurntly have backing tracks within mainstage and within a mainstage patch, there are sets which include the keyboard setup and the backing tracks organized within songs. For example: song1 includes a elec piano assigned to keylab88, b3organ to second controller, backing tracks.

If I could get some assistance with how to achieve this setup it would be much appreciated

Thanks

Posted : 07/01/2020 3:26 am
Bad Mister

What I am trying to achieve is to have the Modx be the main sound engine of my rig with one performance(sound) being triggered by the keys of the Modx, another performance(sound) being triggered by the Keylab88 ant the overall patch changes being controlled through mainstage.

We can help you with setting up and understanding how the MODX works. First, the MODX can recall one Performance at a time... the fundamental program is called a Performance.

It can be made from as few as one or as many 16 Parts. The MODX can play as many as eight Parts simultaneously. When you say you want to address “two Performances (sounds)”, we understand what you are asking... in MODX speak, you would “merge” two Performance programs into one Performance.

You can address one set of Parts with the MODX keys and you can address the others with the external controller.

By setting the MODX so that [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Advanced” > “MIDI I/O Mode” = HYBRID, you will be able to play all Parts with KBD CTRL active from one set of keys, and use MainStage to distribute your control data on the MIDI Channels corresponding to the other Parts of the Performance.

You may find additional help in this article:
Setting up MONTAGE with MainStage

Posted : 08/01/2020 11:36 am
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister....
I’ve managed to get the following to work fro me using the settings you provided.....Thankyou
To summarize, I can currently set up a “Set” in mainstage with and External Channel Strip. The parameters here are set to the following. Midi Output (Port 1 Modx, Channel 1). Input (In 1-2). I also have set up the Channel Strip Inspector for Program and Bank changes.

Where I’m having issues are: 1) when a multi part performance on the Modx is selected, and I turn off the Kbd Ctrl from the Performance screen, on one of the parts, all the audible sound disappears. (No signal visually in the part meters) For example: CFX + FM EP 2: if both KBd Ctrl are on, and a key is depressed, there is sound. If one of the Kbd Ctrl switches are turned off, and a key is depressed there is no sound. If I merge another Performance in, the same occurs.

2) I have been unable to get, my controller (Keylab 88) to trigger the Performance Parts where the Kbd Ctrl is not switched on. I currently run both machines thru Mainstage via USB. Do I need to run a separate midi cable between the Modx and the Keylab even though both units are going through the MacBook Pro via USB. I

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Regards,
gb

Posted : 11/01/2020 6:08 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us