Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX7 split (1part Performances - 1part external MIDI vst)

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello, I am a new yamaha customer.
I would like to use my MODX as in object ... that is a part of the keyboard with normal performances, and the other with an external VST. I use PIGMENTS and some sounds are really necessary for the music I make.
thanks in advance, Gian

Posted : 19/09/2021 10:50 am
Bad Mister

Yes. You can do that.

You don’t really give us enough to answer with any specific detail. The VST is running where? On a Tablet, on a Computer, on a Mac, on a PC, in a DAW, standalone… and sorry we don’t know anything about “Pigments” — what we need to know is what requirements does it have? Can you set MIDI Receive Channel or does it depend on a “host” (like a DAW) to channelized data for it. Are you performing “live” or is this for a recording situation? Does this VST respond to Program Changes?

Almost any information would be helpful.

The MODX can transmit on as many as 8 Channels simultaneously… it can control as many as 8 of its own sounds in a single KBD CTRL (Keyboard Controlled) Performance. You can substitute an external synth for any one of the 8 and you also set the Note Range.

Let us know.

Posted : 19/09/2021 11:58 am
Topic starter

Yes. You can do that.

You don’t really give us enough to answer with any specific detail. The VST is running where? On a Tablet, on a Computer, on a Mac, on a PC, in a DAW, standalone… and sorry we don’t know anything about “Pigments” — what we need to know is what requirements does it have? Can you set MIDI Receive Channel or does it depend on a “host” (like a DAW) to channelized data for it. Are you performing “live” or is this for a recording situation? Does this VST respond to Program Changes?

Almost any information would be helpful.

The MODX can transmit on as many as 8 Channels simultaneously… it can control as many as 8 of its own sounds in a single KBD CTRL (Keyboard Controlled) Performance. You can substitute an external synth for any one of the 8 and you also set the Note Range.

Let us know.

Sry BadMister...you 're right...
I use VST standalone with a Windows Notebook...and i want to play live...
I managed to get the keyboard to work with MIDI, but I can only use MIDI or use the Performances. Not both...
I don't know how to divide the keyboard into two parts and use one part for Performances and
the other for my standalone VST MIDI.
I hope I have explained myself now 🙂
TX Gian

Posted : 19/09/2021 1:27 pm
Bad Mister

I use VST standalone with a Windows Notebook...and i want to play live...
I managed to get the keyboard to work with MIDI, but I can only use MIDI or use the Performances. Not both...
I don't know how to divide the keyboard into two parts and use one part for Performances and
the other for my standalone VST MIDI.

What you maybe able to do is setup a MODX Performance with internal sounds in some of the slots and the Master Keyboard control information in a slot setup to trigger the VST Out via MIDI.

This involves using the MODX “Zone Master” function to create a Part slot designed to specifically address the external synth.
This will work if the VST can be addressed this way… so again:
__ we don’t know anything about “Pigments” — what we need to know is what requirements does it have?
Can you set MIDI Receive Channel?
Does it accept Program Changes? (if you are on stage, changing programs requires you be able to automate reconfiguring the setup).
I ask because some VSTi simply respond to any incoming MIDI (and that would make a difference).
In order to have your split points respected, it would help for it to be channel specific.

Posted : 19/09/2021 4:27 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

This involves using the MODX “Zone Master” function to create a Part slot designed to specifically address the external synth.
This will work if the VST can be addressed this way… so again:
__ we don’t know anything about “Pigments” — what we need to know is what requirements does it have?
Can you set MIDI Receive Channel?

Yes, it supports that.
Also choosing a specific ASIO port for output (like the USB Digital if MODX is to be used as the audio interface).

Does it accept Program Changes? (if you are on stage, changing programs requires you be able to automate reconfiguring the setup)

I don't think it does.

Posted : 19/09/2021 4:58 pm
Topic starter

Great fellows.... after yours suggestions, now i've found this
https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage/zone-master-faq-mastering-montage
tomorrow I'll have to go back to school 😀
Gian

Posted : 19/09/2021 6:31 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us