Notifications
Clear all

Start an audio file by pedal at live set mode

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 pan
Topic starter

Hi, is there a way to start an audio file by pedal at live set mode? It would be handy if you wouldn t rely only to physical buttons to do that. I know you can do that with the sequencer but i cant find a way to do this with wav files at live set mode, thanx

Posted : 18/09/2021 10:59 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You could change the footswitch to Play/Stop and use that to trigger audio. Even if Play/Stop triggers MIDI. What I mean by this is that if the song loaded waiting for "Play" presses a drum key with your audio mapped - then this can be a way to get this done.

To assign the footswitch, see:
https://youtu.be/j9OAOPmDWyI?t=29

The timestamp I start it shows the Play/Stop mapping.

On the exotic side if you use a MIDI pedal like the Crumar Mojo 13 note pedalboard - then you can have 13 different audio samples you can trigger with a foot pedal and no need to us Play/Stop. Other MIDI pedalboards that are just buttons can work for these too since those can typically assign a button to a MIDI note.

Posted : 19/09/2021 2:55 am
 pan
Topic starter

Thanx for the reply, I couldn't find the way to do it..If i link an audio file to a performance at the live set mode i cant use the sequencer..Is there a number to map the pedal that corresponds to the start/stop an the live set mode?Thanx again for your time

Posted : 23/09/2021 9:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Audio files don't start/stop apparently like MIDI/songs do. Use song data then.

1) Performance recorder - record yourself playing a C0 MIDI note. I picked that because it's lower than my lowest note on a Montage 7 when not octave shifted. This will be a song file. I named the file something I could recognize

2) Take an existing Performance you want to play some recording, add a Part of Init Drum. Limit the note range to C0-C0 (one note).

3) Create a new waveform and select the wav file you want to play when pressing the foot switch

4) Edit the amplitude waveform to prevent decay. Change to hold (for the drum part C0 you just created and assigned the wav file to)

5) Turn off Rcv MIDI off so the ARP doesn't have to hold the key for the length of the sample

6) Add a Performance to Live Set with song. The song should be the one in step 1 you created and named

7) Be sure the FS is set for Play/Stop. It's not a number. The default is for Arp On/Off. Turn the DATA DIAL clockwise 2 notches and that should be it (from Utility, MIDI I/O)

Be sure to [STORE] the Performance when you get it working.

If you stop before the song file completes then when you press start again - it will not start a new note but will instead continue the song from where you stopped. Therefore I suggest recording a very short staccato note with no rest before pressing stop in step 1.

You don't have to pick C0 - you can pick any note within the range for drums (C0 through C6).

You might even be able to get fancier to protect your usual playing from hitting the note you choose. An ARP is another way but then becomes less deterministic by footswitch.

The summary of this Rube Goldberg machine is:

Pressing a footswitch starts the song (internal "MIDI file" ) playing
Song hits one key
The one key hit is drum mapped to your recording which is configured to play without decay with no need to keep the key pressed down to get the sample to keep playing
... note is short enough that you could press the footswitch again to play the sample again after it completes.

Other configuration of the drum key can prevent multiple instances of the same sample if you want that. I would.

Posted : 24/09/2021 12:49 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us