Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Modx/Montage - Can the Preset Live Set be disabled?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Dean
Topic starter

Greetings,

I'm not sure how many of you out there use the Preset Live Set but seems like most would use their own custom live set.
If a live set has been setup then it will appear when clicking through the "Live Set" button.

I want to be able to toggle (with the live set button) back and forth between my User Live Set and my Library 1 Live Set without the extra click of getting past the Preset live set.
Is there anyway to disable the Preset Live set(s)?

Of course, I don't have to use the "Live Set" button and can click on the touch screen to toggle through but I like the tactility of a physical button.
So not a big deal, its just an extra click but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Dean

Posted : 13/11/2020 2:55 pm
Bad Mister

I'm not sure how many of you out there use the Preset Live Set but seems like most would use their own custom live set.

The Preset LIVE SET is there to present 256 “best of...” MODX Performances to the first timer player. When you first meet the MODX, typically, it is in a music store sitting on a stand, (hopefully, connected in stereo, and with both an FC7 sweep pedal and an FC3A sustain pedal on the floor).

Rather than have you increment through the 2,227 Factory Performances, one-by-one, the programmers and various product people got together and selected those sounds that best represent the most asked about sounds... in the most asked about categories. And those that allow the musician working in the store to best demonstrate some of the advanced concepts of the synth engine.

This is also why there are 8, count them, 8 User Live Set Banks, each with 256 Performance slots. Thats 2,048 User Live Sets. And each of your 8 Libraries can have 8 Banks of 256... yikes!

So, naturally, you are supposed to create your own.

You are talking about navigating from a User Live Set to one of your Library Live Sets and back (do you have to toggle around all the Banks? The answer is, no, you don’t.

In [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “System” > here you can determine your best solution
So say you have your PowerOn Mode setting so that your instrument boots up to “LIVE SET“
You can setup the “Initial Live Set”
Say you set it to Live Set Bank “USER 1”
You can also designate a specific “Page” and specific “Slot” on that Page as the default location to be recalled.

Now when you PowerOn, your instrument will boot up in the Live Set you start with, on the Performance you start with.

An additional benefit you get from setting the “Initial Live Set” Bank is when you want to move between the USER Live Set Bank and your Library Live Set Bank, and back, you can do so without marching around the entire board passing Go (without stepping around the list of Live Set banks)....

Here’s how: As you know, repeatedly pressing the [LIVE SET] button steps you through the first PAGE in each of your installed Live Sets and includes the never used Preset Live Set mini-Bank.
You know this because you are seeing the Preset Bank toggle by... and you’re wondering whether you can just skip it!

In our example USER 1 is the “Initial Live Set” Bank.
Say I finish with the USER 1 Live Set, and I press the [LIVE SET] button to move to a Library Live Set... when I want to return to USER 1, I simply need to press and HOLD [LIVE SET] for two seconds, and you’re back to your Initial Live Set Bank, USER 1.

No more toggling around the Monopoly board, passing Go, you can jump back to whichever Bank you designate as the “Initial Live Set”... just press and HOLD the [LIVE SET] button.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 13/11/2020 8:03 pm
 Dean
Topic starter

Bad Mister,
Thanks so much for your response and great information.
I created a bit of a workaround for my problem (first world problem).

Using the John Melas software, I took the Performances out of the several Libraries I was using and managed to (strategically) condense into a single Library.
This single Library has all my custom Waveforms, Performances and Live sets.
I copied the first Live Set out of main Library into the User bank and shifted the second Live Set to the 1st position in the Library.
This way I will be able to toggle my Live Sets easier even with the extra click to get past Preset Live Set.

The HOLD the [LIVE SET] for 2 seconds is very helpful.
Really appreciate the response and information.
Thanks again,
Dean

Posted : 19/11/2020 1:33 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us