Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

USB question??

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

This probably seems like a stupid question but, is there any way to come out of the USB on the back of my MODX8 (USB type B) and split it into 2 USB Type A signals? I'm trying to hook up the MODX to my desktop and laptop and get the signal to both at the same time....? In order to use multiple apps that require a USB connection to MODX on the two computers, at the same time.... So far it seems like standard splitters etc. wouldn't work. thanks in advance... Daryl

Posted : 12/11/2020 5:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There's better ways of doing this than what you're attempting. USB is a slave/master topology where, in this case, the PC is the master and MODX is the slave. Two masters sounds like a recipe for failure.

Do you need simultaneous MIDI communication to/from both the desktop and laptop and MODX? Simultaneous audio communication to/from both the desktop and laptop and MODX? Or both?

MIDI is easy to chain along. Audio is possible too - but it may be easier to send audio as a master L/R to one of the two systems (laptop OR desktop) and use a dedicated audio interface for this with patch cables to your MODX's Main L/R outputs. Audio can be sent in the opposite direction using the same audio interface (outputs) patched over to MODX's A/D inputs.

There's an array of solutions - but it really depends on what your goal is in terms of MIDI vs. Audio and also in the audio domain - how many individual channels you're looking at sending/receiving to/from both of the computers.

Posted : 13/11/2020 4:35 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us