Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MOXF to MODX ?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Can I copy over my MOXF performances to MODX?

Posted : 25/09/2018 11:52 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/compatibility.html

Compatible with the MOXF6/MOXF8 data
The following data can be loaded to MODX6/MODX7/MODX8 among all MOXF6/MOXF8 data. Please note that the data is loaded as “User File” or “Library File.”

Also you can switch the Content Type between User file and Library file.

File Type on MOXF Extension on MOXF Contents
All .X6A User Voice, User Performance, User Arpeggio, User Waveform
AllVoice (All Voice) .X6V User Voice, User Waveform
AllArp (All Arpeggio) .X6G User Arpeggio
AllWaveform (All Waveform) .X6W User Waveform

Posted : 26/09/2018 6:15 am
Bad Mister

Here’s how:
Insert the USB stick containing your MOXF ALL data file (.X6A) in the “To Device” slot
Press [UTILITY]
Touch “Contents” > “Load”
Set the “Content Type” = User File or Library File
Along the bottom of the screen find “IMPORT OPTION”
Select to Load either “Voice” or “Perf”

Touch the box with the .X6A File you wish to Load.
If you selected Content Type = User File you will Receive a warning, that loading the file that you have selected will overwrite the current data in the User Bank.

Extra Credit:
“Content Type” can be either ‘User File’ or ‘Library File’.
You would choose one over the other based on what you are attempting to do.

_You can select USER FILE if you want to just load and play them. Loading them to User will overwrite the current User Bank. Not a big deal; It is exactly like the MOXF when you load an ALL data file to User it overwrites all the data previously in the User. No biggie.

_You would select LIBRARY FILE if you are in the process of *assembling* your own Library content. Loading to a Library location leaves the current User Bank in tact. You can use the “Library Import” feature to then move selected data, non-destructively, into available slots in the User Bank (without overwriting anything!) This facilitates *assembling* data from various files to the USER Bank... you can assemble 640 Performances, 2048 Waveforms, etc., etc in the USER Bank and then using a “save as...” type routine, you can create your own custom Library from various files. That’s why I refer to the User Bank as an assembly area.

Posted : 28/09/2018 4:26 pm

Thanks Jason and Bad Mister! and since my MODX7 is brand new, anything I load will not replace any voice/performance...since I would not have any USER banks loaded at this time. Correct? Basically, I can't lose anything when I load up my MOXF libraries to a brand new MODX?

Posted : 29/09/2018 6:00 pm
Stefan

Correct.

Posted : 29/09/2018 6:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

To run down the list:

The MODX presets (built-in sounds) will never get overwritten by any loading/saving you perform. Only firmware upgrades can touch presets and these upgrades will only add to the number of presets - leaving all the previous presets the same. Presets can be thought of as "read only" memory.

The MODX Library memory is a section which gives the user several "slots" where they can add their own personal collect of "read only" Performances. The only difference between this memory area and presets is that it allows for you to either DELETE/ERASE an entire Library slot or LOAD an entire Library into a slot. Actions done here are entire-slot-at-a-time. You cannot manipulate anything inside a Library one-performance-at-a-time. Loading Libraries do not touch other libraries. You will either load a Library to an empty slot or MODX will tell you there are no open library slots left.

The MODX User memory is a section which is a "scratchpad" - more temporary than the other areas. Here you can delete and add Performances one-by-one. Currently, when LOADING information into the User area (such as loading a user file, or converting MOXF files to MODX and placing this inside the user area) - LOADING will wipe away the entire user area. Since your user area is empty - you do not have to be concerned about overwriting an empty area. However, the more general case would have you first backup your user area (if you wanted to save that data) before doing actions which would wipe away the user area. If you work slowly while doing file operations - MODX should warn you when the user area is going to be overwritten.

I do not yet see all the same articles for MODX as exist for Montage - but the general principles are the same. You can review https://www.yamahasynth.com/yamaha-synth-rss/user-and-library in order to see an article on the different memory areas (for Montage - close cousin to MODX).

Posted : 30/09/2018 5:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us