Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

My MODX6 seems to be struggling to play back my new pattern without glitches and lag

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Jon
Topic starter

Hi.

I'm new to this forum as I've just recently purchased a MODX6. I must say I'm generally very impressed with it, but I have just composed a new pattern, and the synth seems to struggle to play it consistently. When I play it back, quite often there are delays and glitches when all tracks are playing (actually I am only using 14 of the 16 available). This is especially a problem with the snare and high hats. It sounds like I recorded them with the incorrect quantization, but that is not the case as, if I mute one or two of the tracks, or slow the tempo down a bit (130bpm is the tempo I set for the pattern), the playback is much smoother. Also, sometimes it plays the pattern correctly and sometimes it doesn't. I have various arpeggios running, so there is quite a lot going on in the pattern, but I would surprised if a synth like the MODX would have such glitches. I am running software 2.5, which I think is the latest.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted : 01/09/2021 9:12 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

I have various arpeggios running, so there is quite a lot going on in the pattern,

I think the max number of simultaneous parts with arpeggios is 8.
Might that be the problem?

Posted : 01/09/2021 11:50 am
 Jon
Topic starter

The problem could be related to arpeggios, although I haven't got as many as 8 running at the same time. I have only 5.

Posted : 01/09/2021 12:11 pm
Bad Mister

Hi.

I'm new to this forum as I've just recently purchased a MODX6. I must say I'm generally very impressed with it, but I have just composed a new pattern, and the synth seems to struggle to play it consistently. When I play it back, quite often there are delays and glitches when all tracks are playing (actually I am only using 14 of the 16 available). This is especially a problem with the snare and high hats. It sounds like I recorded them with the incorrect quantization, but that is not the case as, if I mute one or two of the tracks, or slow the tempo down a bit (130bpm is the tempo I set for the pattern), the playback is much smoother. Also, sometimes it plays the pattern correctly and sometimes it doesn't. I have various arpeggios running, so there is quite a lot going on in the pattern, but I would surprised if a synth like the MODX would have such glitches. I am running software 2.5, which I think is the latest.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The solution to this most likely lies in the following fact about the MODX PATTERN feature:

It is impossible to go into Record on the MODX PATTERN Sequencer without the sequencer documenting the Output of the Arpeggiator.

Therefore, once you have recorded Arpeggio data to the sequencer, it is important to bypass the Arpeggio function. What was Arpeggio data has now been transferred to the MIDI Track as MIDI event data.

When set to playback your Pattern you can BYPASS the Arpeggiators by holding [SHIFT] + [ARP ON/OFF]. The button will flash to indicate it is bypassed. Bypassing the Arp will prevent it from starting when you touch the keyboard.

Alternate Method: once you have recorded a Part’s Arp data to a Track, you can turn the Part’s Arp On/Off switch to Off. It is no longer necessary — and as you can tell, it might get in your way.

It plays correctly when you refrained from touching the keys during playback…But by touching the keys with the Arp On/Off active, you re-start the Arpeggiator again (the data has already been recorded) so chaos will quickly ensue. Your description sounds like this is what is happening.

Bad Mister Tip:
When transferring Arpeggio data to the Pattern Sequencer, you can ensure perfect beginning and end of recording by having the technology punch you in and out:
Arm the Arpeggiator
Press [RECORD]
Set “Key On Start” = On
Set “Loop” = Off
This will start recording as soon as you touch the keys, automating the placement of the first event exactly on the downbeat. And when the LENGTH setting is reached, Recording will automatically stop. You may think you are fast enough to Stop recording between the last clock tick of the last measure and beat, and the top of the next cycle, but statistics have proven you’re not.

Let the technology start and end Arpeggio transfers.

Posted : 01/09/2021 7:29 pm
 Jon
Topic starter

Many thanks for your advice, Bad Mister. I suspect you have hit the nail on the head there as all my ARPs are still on. A newbie error 😀

I'll give it a try this evening after work.

Many thanks once again

Posted : 02/09/2021 7:45 am
 Jon
Topic starter

I turned off the ARPs, and things certainly improved. However, there is still the odd glitch here and there on a few occasions. Anyway, still an improvement, but I'm sure there must be something else that is incorrect.

Posted : 03/09/2021 7:42 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us